U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I realize that Wikipedia is edited by regular folk, but the regular folk agree with ME, not YOU. You said I really don't know what I'm talking about, yet I see no back-up from you to prove that you do.
Do you know how many teachers and professors will not allow projects done with the aid of wikipedia? I'd take my chances with lovesmountains info before even considering information from a wikipedia entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 04:57 PM

235 posts, read 664,766 times
wow so far we are very happy with the HS and elem our children are in. Sons teacher is young but she is full of energy and is rarin to go. I don't think young teachers are a bad thing as long as they were trained well. We came from NY and my sons teacher last year was 58 and the meanest witch on the face of the earth she was beyond needing to retire, older is not always better. The HS seems to be a no nonsense place where academics is number one....time will tell.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,252,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
wow so far we are very happy with the HS and elem our children are in. Sons teacher is young but she is full of energy and is rarin to go. I don't think young teachers are a bad thing as long as they were trained well. We came from NY and my sons teacher last year was 58 and the meanest witch on the face of the earth she was beyond needing to retire, older is not always better. The HS seems to be a no nonsense place where academics is number one....time will tell.
Glad you are off to a good start and have an expectation of a positive experience

I agree that young teachers can be so great for the fresh ideas and energy they bring to the classroom. I just like to see them paired with more experienced mentor teachers to make sure they become as experienced as possible and not burnt out too young.

My son had an older teacher like the one you described once in middle school - she so needed to retire, and the year drug on.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:33 PM

755 posts, read 2,240,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Do you know how many teachers and professors will not allow projects done with the aid of wikipedia? I'd take my chances with lovesmountains info before even considering information from a wikipedia entry.
Lovesmountains hasn't actually GIVEN any information. Lovesmountains only said that I was wrong about why the bonds didn't pass and that I "really don't know what [I am] talking about." I merely defended my position with the Wikipedia information. I did not get my information from there.

Here's some more info from the Charlotte Observer that supports my position :
Charlotte Observer | 08/26/2007 | 5 things to watch (http://www.charlotte.com/education/growth/story/251561.html - broken link)
"The defeat of the school bond package in 2005 highlighted bitter countywide divisions. The next year, CMS hired a new superintendent, and now, bonds are back on the ballot. Will there be as much opposition as there was two years ago? If the bonds fail, what does that say about Peter Gorman's ability to lead and the future of the schools?"

Charlotte Observer | 08/16/2007 | Next challenge: Sell CMS bonds to voters (http://www.charlotte.com/education/growth/story/238400.html - broken link)
"On Tuesday, county commissioners' 7-2 vote demonstrated bipartisan support for putting school bonds on the November ballot. But the rancorous debate over details showed that themes that helped defeat school bonds in 2005 -- including distrust of school leaders and fears that the suburbs will be shortchanged -- continue to simmer."

Charlotte Observer | 08/28/2007 | Smooth start for CMS (http://www.charlotte.com/408/story/253681.html - broken link)
"CMS faces a November bond vote that's widely viewed as a gauge of community confidence in the system. And Gorman, who took the job in summer 2006, faces a test of plans he has spent a year putting in place."

Old 08-28-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Lovesmountains hasn't actually GIVEN any information. Lovesmountains only said that I was wrong about why the bonds didn't pass and that I "really don't know what [I am] talking about." I merely defended my position with the Wikipedia information. I did not get my information from there.

Here's some more info from the Charlotte Observer that supports my position :
Charlotte Observer | 08/26/2007 | 5 things to watch (http://www.charlotte.com/education/growth/story/251561.html - broken link)
"The defeat of the school bond package in 2005 highlighted bitter countywide divisions. The next year, CMS hired a new superintendent, and now, bonds are back on the ballot. Will there be as much opposition as there was two years ago? If the bonds fail, what does that say about Peter Gorman's ability to lead and the future of the schools?"

Charlotte Observer | 08/16/2007 | Next challenge: Sell CMS bonds to voters (http://www.charlotte.com/education/growth/story/238400.html - broken link)
"On Tuesday, county commissioners' 7-2 vote demonstrated bipartisan support for putting school bonds on the November ballot. But the rancorous debate over details showed that themes that helped defeat school bonds in 2005 -- including distrust of school leaders and fears that the suburbs will be shortchanged -- continue to simmer."

Charlotte Observer | 08/28/2007 | Smooth start for CMS (http://www.charlotte.com/408/story/253681.html - broken link)
"CMS faces a November bond vote that's widely viewed as a gauge of community confidence in the system. And Gorman, who took the job in summer 2006, faces a test of plans he has spent a year putting in place."
Weedy, can we just let this go? It is turning into a debate which is really not the purpose of this forum. You have your opinion, colored by your extreme upset over "having" to move because of CMS, and I have mine - I say we agree to disagree

Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 PM

755 posts, read 2,240,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Weedy, can we just let this go? It is turning into a debate which is really not the purpose of this forum. You have your opinion, colored by your extreme upset over "having" to move because of CMS, and I have mine - I say we agree to disagree
You said I had no idea what I was talking about. I have now repeatedly demonstrated that others share my opinion about why the bonds failed. I will let it go when you apologize.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:19 PM

245 posts, read 196,165 times
Arena

This shows some history behind why CMS has less funds than they need.

And why should loves say sorry. How petty is that?

Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You said I had no idea what I was talking about. I have now repeatedly demonstrated that others share my opinion about why the bonds failed. I will let it go when you apologize.
Oh good grief...

I will not apologize or debate you on this Weedy. What I said was that the history of why the bonds failed was much more complicated than you seemed to understand. Yes, lack of confidence in the SCHOOL BOARD was part of the reason people voted against the bonds, not the whole system, the school board. The whole story goes much deeper than you seem to comprehend, as evidenced by your statement, "Anyone who thinks that the problems with CMS stem from population growth really doesn't know anything about the school system . The truth is, one of the many reasons the bonds were voted down was because some people in established parts of the city with older schools in their neighborhoods HIGHLY resented the school boards intent to just build new schools and not address the maintenance and upkeep issues at older schools. They voted no on the bonds because they opposed all the money going to high growth areas only.

See, I could go on and on, and address more of the inaccuracies in your statements - but I really do not choose to spend any more of my energy on this. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, though as I told you last night, having such an ax to grind tends to make yours look suspect - and I am entitled to mine. Let's leave it at that and agree to disagree.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 PM

435 posts, read 1,674,082 times
Mobile classrooms have been around for years. Its nothing new.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,446,050 times
Could've would've should've we cannot change the past.
Judging Charlotte or the school system on things of the past will not solve anything. Hopefully with the new Superintendent things will improve.
It is a new beginning for CMS or Charlotte for that matter.
Getting in a endless battle over a internet forum complaining about issues isnt going to solve the issues. Showing some southern pride or developing southern pride of community involvement will.

You see a problem suggest to those who can make a difference a solution.

Ideas go further than whining complaints Unite for the children.

Debate ideas and not each other. Refrain from using users names so it helps keep this from being so hostile.

Thanks

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-28-2007 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or