Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Anyone who thinks that the problems with CMS stem from population growth really doesn't know anything about the school system and is buying CMS's BS line trying to cover their own hind ends.

CMS is a HUGE bureaucracy. About 10 years ago they wasted millions of dollars trying to fight and then appeal a lawsuit to end race-based busing. Teachers are the scapegoats for the bureaucracy's total lack of organization or efficiency. For pity's sake, why do you think it made the AP that CMS finally expelled 7 students - the only students expelled from a system of over 100,000 students in five years? There are convicted felons in CMS who aren't expelled. There are students who committed assaults resulting in serious bodily harm who aren't expelled.

The problems with CMS are not new and are not due to a sudden influx of people. They are systemic. THAT's why the citizens of Charlotte finally said, "No" to school bonds and why they finally hired a superintendent from outside of the county.

When the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation chooses one of your high schools as the first one they're going to focus on helping and changing, it's NOT because a lot of people are moving to Charlotte.
Your understanding of CMS, its history and the huge problems such overwhelming growth in Charlotte has caused, is sorely lacking. The citizens of Charlotte DID NOT vote down the last bond package for the reasons you state. I don't know how long you lived here, but you really don't know what you are talking about.

Especially your accusation that "Anyone who thinks that the problems with CMS stem from population growth really doesn't know anything about the school system and is buying CMS's BS line trying to cover their own hind ends." What hind end would I as a regular citizen be trying to cover exactly? Again, your assertions are all wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,315 times
As others have said, and I don't want to sound too harsh, but you really need to do your research before moving to an area. This kind of information is something you need to find out before you move to a new area.

This gets to be a sore point for me because I currently live in an area, a once small town, that people from NY often now move to, and we get to hear some of their wrath.

The town voted on certain things over the years, and it's public information that they easily could have accessed on any local school website. So they come down, and get really angry that they didn't know this or this about the school. It could get really grating because this is one of those easily avoidable things, you can't go into things with your eyes shut to things you might not want to see.

We are moving down to NC soon, and there is very important information that I needed to make decisions on before I decided if an area or town is the place for my family. These days so much information is so readily available that people can't blame the area they move to for not doing their own homework.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The citizens of Charlotte DID NOT vote down the last bond package for the reasons you state. I don't know how long you lived here, but you really don't know what you are talking about.
I lived in Charlotte for 14 years and I have three school-aged children. I also had a close friend, sister, and sister-in-law who have all taught for CMS. My sister-in-law's mother has taught at CMS for almost thirty years and has just about had enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Especially your accusation that "Anyone who thinks that the problems with CMS stem from population growth really doesn't know anything about the school system and is buying CMS's BS line trying to cover their own hind ends." What hind end would I as a regular citizen be trying to cover exactly? Again, your assertions are all wrong.
You wouldn't be covering your hind end, the school board is covering theirs.

As for WHY the citizens of Charlotte voted down the bond package, I voted it down for the reasons I stated, and Wikipedia also states that "The rejection of a $427 million bond package to improve facilities and build new schools by 56% of voters in 2005 was seen as a vote of no-confidence in the school district and its ability to spend money effectively."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNarea
The last super was from Maryland I believe. Do not hold me to that I am possibly wrong but he was not from Meck. County that's for sure!
The interim superintendent was Frances Haithcock who was already with CMS and before that, Dr. James L. Pughsley was superintendent who had served as Deputy Superintendent and Chief Officer for Administrative Services in CMS for six years.

Perhaps you're remembering Eric Smith who left CMS and went to Anne Arundel County in Maryland.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
I so agree with summer..I reserached union county for about 10 months before we moved here...we made 3 trips down and dh made 4 total and well we were comfortable on which town we were buying in...No matter where u go it will get over crowded I too lived in NJ and yes from NY but I had other issues with that..anyway no place is perfect however you must do your homework to the best you can and make a decision u can live with...we didnt choose cms for alot of our own reasons but my research steered me away...weather good or bad It was the right decision for us...and the above poster is correct today the internet is a wonderful tool and this forum at the time back in Dec got us motivated to make the 1st trip down and well we just fell in love with what it had to offer our family, and schools being I have a middle schooler and an elem schooler was the first and foremost importance to us...I will say we love living here and am so glad that these tools were available, because I dont know how comfortable I would have been without them...

Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
we said no to the bonds because of the NBA stadium debate. It was the only way the citizens could smack the politicians back.
Do you mean the arena? That was all orchestrated by the City Council and Pam Syfert. That had nothing to do with the county school board.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I lived in Charlotte for 14 years and I have three school-aged children. I also had a close friend, sister, and sister-in-law who have all taught for CMS. My sister-in-law's mother has taught at CMS for almost thirty years and has just about had enough.

You wouldn't be covering your hind end, the school board is covering theirs.

As for WHY the citizens of Charlotte voted down the bond package, I voted it down for the reasons I stated, and Wikipedia also states that "The rejection of a $427 million bond package to improve facilities and build new schools by 56% of voters in 2005 was seen as a vote of no-confidence in the school district and its ability to spend money effectively."

The interim superintendent was Frances Haithcock who was already with CMS and before that, Dr. James L. Pughsley was superintendent who had served as Deputy Superintendent and Chief Officer for Administrative Services in CMS for six years.

Perhaps you're remembering Eric Smith who left CMS and went to Anne Arundel County in Maryland.
Wikipedia is only as good as the info regular people like you or me go and put in it - it's not the gospel truth, and certainly not all the truth. The issue is much more complicated than you stated, not mention in an earlier post you said your kids were in private school to the tune of about $50,000 - so how involved were you with the public schools anyway? Knowing your connection to a long time Charlotte teacher explains a lot of your venom to me - some of them are not very comfortable with the changes Peter Gorman is making.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 08-27-2007 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM

I realize that Wikipedia is edited by regular folk, but the regular folk agree with ME, not YOU. You said I really don't know what I'm talking about, yet I see no back-up from you to prove that you do.

My sister-in-law left CMS the year before Gorman was hired - so much for that theory.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Heck if I had kids I wouldn't send my kids to CMS. Its just that simple. The school system was crazy when I was younger & it still is now. My parents yanked me out after I had 5 teachers in 1 year at CMS....one of those teachers called me stupid (& also told me I would never learn to read). Needless to say I didn't learn anything that year & when my parents put me into private school I had to be held back for a year.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM

[quote=Weedydidi;1370824]

The problems with CMS are not new and are not due to a sudden influx of people. They are systemic. THAT's why the citizens of Charlotte finally said, "No" to school bonds and why they finally hired a superintendent from outside of the county.

Charlotte has been hiring superintendents from "outside" the county for decades. Dr. Gorman was far from the first.

1973 - Dr. Rolland Jones

1977 - Dr. Jay Robinson

1987 - Dr. Peter Relic

1991 - Dr. John Murphy

1996 - Dr. Eric Smith

THEN came Pughsley, but he had only been here 6 years.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM

16 posts, read 33,200 times
Well I did do my research and our schools up north were over pact as well but they sure didnt have trailers, maybe I didnt do enough.. Maybe next time I will go even further but dont worry I will sale and be gone.. Thanks for the input and know I don't take it is as being.. rude.. But those who complain about be people come from up NORTH,, South people always running up North as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte