U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I am 100% southern, born and raised, and I still get a kick out of certain words that are pronounced by the more rural types.

Ferrist Wheel = Ferris Wheel
Wall Mark = WalMart

Just makes me grin a little.
And, for some, all refrigerators are "Frigidaires"

Jeff Foxworthy has managed to pretty well nail all the "rural" stuff . . . but don't know that I have heard him mention "Ferrist Wheel" - that is priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, you may remember that long ago I started a thread where I asked for old sayings from the area. I grew up spending a lot of time with one set of grandparents & consequently learned an unusually large number of old sayings in Michigan. I love learning those & still haven't heard something here that is so unusual that I had to ask for an explanation. Mangled grammar, on the other hand, really can grate.

That's not to say that, everyone from any area falls into any category. I know of wonderful people from the NYC metro (including Lon Gisland).

Maybe I shouldn't have posted about vee-hickle, but I haven't heard it a single time & I live amongst the natives & even so, had I never met that particular great grandmother, I would have assumed it to be just an accent.

I used to entertain my mother with 2 immitations from my family. One was my dad's uncle by marriage, who was from Luxemberg (He was a wonderful man with a very thick accent.) & her grandmother (the vee-hickle woman). The immitation of her was a bit of her wisdom that she spouted in front of me where she mangled the pronunciation of my name.
Well, if you haven't heard vee-hickle, you surely have heard SIGH REEN. And Amba-lance.

"The amba-lance sigh-reen was a'blarin' down the road."

I swear to God I didn't know siren was pronounced any other way til I was in high school.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, if you haven't heard vee-hickle, you surely have heard SIGH REEN. And Amba-lance.

"The amba-lance sigh-reen was a'blarin' down the road."

I swear to God I didn't know siren was pronounced any other way til I was in high school.
Believe it or not, I've heard neither, Ani. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't hear it in Shelby. However. . .Madame Vee-hickle also said Sigh-reen, I've worked with a couple of blacks in Philly whose parents were from NC & they said amba lance. It's not that far off from amba l'nce though.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,553,520 times
Ugh! Two people I work with always "aks" instead of "ask", in a conference call nonetheless.

And hubby is now fixin' to do something, and says " I wheeeeelll!" when asked to do something!

On the pike thing, up north, if you call the Mass Pike Massachusetts turnpike, you're definitely NOT a native.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Believe it or not, I've heard neither, Ani. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't hear it in Shelby. However. . .Madame Vee-hickle also said Sigh-reen, I've worked with a couple of blacks in Philly whose parents were from NC & they said amba lance. It's not that far off from amba l'nce though.
Okay. There is NO WAY you could miss amba lance and sigh reen . . . you just haven't been around the right folks when an amba lance went by, hee hee hee.

There is emphasis on "lance" - to the point that it sounds like folks are describing a type of weapon/lance - i.e., an Amba Lance.

Yeah, you are just not standing at the right spot when someone comments about Old Mister Brown being taken to the hospital by Amba Lance, with the Sigh Reens screamin' down the road . . .

Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ugh! Two people I work with always "aks" instead of "ask", in a conference call nonetheless.

And hubby is now fixin' to do something, and says " I wheeeeelll!" when asked to do something!

On the pike thing, up north, if you call the Mass Pike Massachusetts turnpike, you're definitely NOT a native.
Oh, that AKS or AX thing is disturbing, lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post

I agree. I think, based on my experience, that "down the pike" is MidAlantic & Midwestern. Not sure of other southern locations where they have roads named (Whatever) Pike. Also, I never heard the NJ Turnpike refered to as "the Pike". The roads with pike in the name are referred to that way though.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

763 posts, read 644,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And "youse guys"!!! I really hate that one. I used to never hear it, but in the last 10 years, I hear it more and more.

Wonder why?

Oh - and "these ones." Never heard that til the last decade or so. Hmmm.

And "him and I"

"Him and I bought these ones and thought youse guys would be interested."

And when I ask people where they are from originally, they refer to some place I have never heard of before: Long Guy Land

What the hell is a "long guy?"

Weird stuff.
Although we're criticized for using "y'all", I constantly hear people from all over the U.S. use "you all" that sound like "y'all". What is the difference.

I remember shopping one day and at the check out counter I overheard one the beloved type northerners talking about how the way we talk when she used the term "I ain't never". I asked here where she was from and she said, "northern Illinois." I then informed her that at least our schools teach us not to use double negatives.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Although we're criticized for using "y'all", I constantly hear people from all over the U.S. use "you all" that sound like "y'all". What is the difference.

I remember shopping one day and at the check out counter I overheard one the beloved type northerners talking about how the way we talk when she used the term "I ain't never". I asked here where she was from and she said, "northern Illinois." I then informed her that at least our schools teach us not to use double negatives.
Yes, the correct way to use that phrase would be . . . I ain't ever.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM

763 posts, read 644,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisedupmom View Post
To all Charlotte area business owners who decide to be the spokesperson in their own radio and television commercials:

Please, in the name of goodness, it's pronounced "Hundred", not "hunderd""!

Thank you very much.
If you don't accept the way locals pronounce words, may I suggest you never go to NYC, Boston, L.A., Minnesota, or other places where words are pronounced differently. For god's sake, never go to the United Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte