U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,138,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Over yonder, but not a fur piece. Past the holler and down by the branch.
Ani, you know that as a Midwesterner, I know where over yonder is & not a fur piece is the same as not a far piece. The rest is pretty easy.

I wasn't going to get involved with this thread based on the OP, after all I say hun-drid.

This sort of discussion always reminds me of reading Longstreet's account of his near capture at Chickamauga. He heard soldiers talking on the picket line & thought that he'd come across Bragg's army. It was a regiment from the Army of the Cumberland.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ugh! Two people I work with always "aks" instead of "ask", in a conference call nonetheless.

And hubby is now fixin' to do something, and says " I wheeeeelll!" when asked to do something!

On the pike thing, up north, if you call the Mass Pike Massachusetts turnpike, you're definitely NOT a native.
I do agree that "aks" can be annoying, and I can't tell if you were even commenting about this one, but "fixin' to ...." is one phrase that I find a little odd (but not "peeved" by it at all!)

Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I do agree that "aks" can be annoying, and I can't tell if you were even commenting about this one, but "fixin' to ...." is one phrase that I find a little odd (but not "peeved" by it at all!)
I find "fixin' to" a puzzler, also, even tho I grew up hearing it - so you are not alone, lol. I always assumed it was some old English thing . . . or something Irish . . . with the same meaning as "getting ready to" . . . but I have never looked it up to find the roots of the phrase.

Y'all do know this one, right?

"If you don't stop, I'm fixin' to tan ya behind."

Note: in this case, "behind" is pronounced - Bee' hind (accent on first syllable)

Old 11-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, you know that as a Midwesterner, I know where over yonder is & not a fur piece is the same as not a far piece. The rest is pretty easy.

I wasn't going to get involved with this thread based on the OP, after all I say hun-drid.

This sort of discussion always reminds me of reading Longstreet's account of his near capture at Chickamauga. He heard soldiers talking on the picket line & thought that he'd come across Bragg's army. It was a regiment from the Army of the Cumberland.
Oh my. We will have to start a thread on Longstreet (history forum?) One of my favorites . . . Yes, goes to show - we all have roots somewhere, lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM

373 posts, read 669,132 times
Quote:
And when I ask people where they are from originally, they refer to some place I have never heard of before: Long Guy Land
What the hell is a "long guy?"
Well.
Not bragun (bragging)
but I think I got the ansa (answer) right heya (here).
You might need an amba-lance though.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Well.
Not bragun (bragging)
but I think I got the ansa (answer) right heya (here).
You might need an amba-lance though.
Just be sure to turn on the sigh reen as you go through my 'hood, lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I find "fixin' to" a puzzler, also, even tho I grew up hearing it - so you are not alone, lol. I always assumed it was some old English thing . . . or something Irish . . . with the same meaning as "getting ready to" . . . but I have never looked it up to find the roots of the phrase.

Y'all do know this one, right?

"If you don't stop, I'm fixin' to tan ya behind."

Note: in this case, "behind" is pronounced - Bee' hind (accent on first syllable)
LOL, I also grew up with fixin' to, Ani, but my concept was that it denoted something that was going to happen, but not immediately.

When my mom was fixin' to do some tanning, she always said "If you don't stop that immediately, I'm gonna tan yer hide."

Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Oh my. We will have to start a thread on Longstreet (history forum?) One of my favorites . . . Yes, goes to show - we all have roots somewhere, lol.
That sounds like a winner to me, Ani.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 PM

301 posts, read 1,503,434 times
Just the other day, at my regular Harris-Teeter supermarket, the cashier kept asking me "Don't you want some better?" I didn't know what she meant, had to ask her twice to repeat herself, but still didn't get it.

I'm a transplant from Buffalo NY (in Charlotte 3 yrs now) & usually have no problems understanding what people here are saying. Then again, I'm often talking to other transplants from the Northeast or from the Midwest. But at this supermarket, many of the workers there are native Southerners (and originally from Charlotte?)

To me, this cashier has a very "strong" Southern accent, but usually have no problem understanding what she's saying. Not this day, I was confused at why she thought I should have something "better." Finally, she pointed to an picture in the sales ad and I caught on: "Oh-- butter!"

"Yeah, a great deal on better," she stated. Well, I didn't need "better" but learned something about Southern pronounciation.

Of course, SHE has an accent but I don't!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Just the other day, at my regular Harris-Teeter supermarket, the cashier kept asking me "Don't you want some better?" I didn't know what she meant, had to ask her twice to repeat herself, but still didn't get it.

I'm a transplant from Buffalo NY (in Charlotte 3 yrs now) & usually have no problems understanding what people here are saying. Then again, I'm often talking to other transplants from the Northeast or from the Midwest. But at this supermarket, many of the workers there are native Southerners (and originally from Charlotte?)

To me, this cashier has a very "strong" Southern accent, but usually have no problem understanding what she's saying. Not this day, I was confused at why she thought I should have something "better." Finally, she pointed to an picture in the sales ad and I caught on: "Oh-- butter!"

"Yeah, a great deal on better," she stated. Well, I didn't need "better" but learned something about Southern pronounciation.

Of course, SHE has an accent but I don't!
Yes, only the natives have accents, lol.

Typically, you would hear very much the "UH" in "butter" in this part of the world. You got me on that one, Newbie. I think I would have had to wonder what the cashier meant, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte