U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 PM

17 posts, read 46,135 times

Advertisements

Why is it that over 90% (maybe more) of the houses on the market do not have private swimming pools? I understand that the developments offer a community pool, but it's having your own pool in Charlotte a great feature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,710 times
Believe it or not, pools do not always "add value" to a home -- or not as much value as you might think. IMO many homes do not have pools since lot sizes are generally smaller here, and a pool can take up much of the back yard.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,648,007 times
My thought is because of maintenance, costs and pools are seasonal compared to say, Florida. If you have a community pool, it knocks out the cost and maintenance.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:11 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
we had an inground pool in NJ and honestly dh loves not having to take care of a pool. however I do liked having one in y backyard..but.when we were looking there wasnt much with any inground pools unless it was a community one..

good luck to you

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,679 times
Default Swimming pools

In reality it's just because Charlotte is such a new city. People pour everything into the house and pools are not on top of the list because of having community pools. Most people I've found end up getting a back yard pool in the long run, they get tired of the chaos of the community pool and realize the cost is about the same in the end. The other reason is Charlotte has many who come in go and don't invest in major upgrades in the property, because they know they will be moving

As to value, it is true it doesn't always add value. Usually those cases are where it is an ugly pool, Pool doesn't fit the site, not well care for etc. I've never seen a well done pool distract from a property.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2theant View Post
In reality it's just because Charlotte is such a new city. People pour everything into the house and pools are not on top of the list because of having community pools. Most people I've found end up getting a back yard pool in the long run, they get tired of the chaos of the community pool and realize the cost is about the same in the end. The other reason is Charlotte has many who come in go and don't invest in major upgrades in the property, because they know they will be moving

As to value, it is true it doesn't always add value. Usually those cases are where it is an ugly pool, Pool doesn't fit the site, not well care for etc. I've never seen a well done pool distract from a property.
Do you or anyone know of any reputable pool installation companies that i could get some information from?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:57 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2theant View Post

I disagree with your explanation for why there are so few pools in Charlotte homes. Charlotte as a city is over 150 years old, we are not that new - though much of the city growth expanding all around the city is of course new in the last 30 years.

But even in the oldest established parts of Charlotte pools were never a big thing. It's a southern lifestyle choice. People in the south have always enjoyed the community aspect of doing things. So those in Myers Park and Dilworth, who could have easily afforded their own pools, instead joined the country club to swim, socialize and relax. Other more middle class and even poorer neighborhoods all had either neighborhood pools or community pools built for them by the city. As a people we preferred getting out amongst our neighbors.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 AM

928 posts, read 3,530,842 times
KingOfQueens-Love your id.

I know someone who had a pool and the upkeep nearly killed them. When it came time to sell their house it was a huge burden. People just didn't want the responsibilty that came with owning a pool. When I grew up I always said when I had a house, I was going to have a pool. Well, I owned a few houses and as a buy grown up, I don't have the resources to be bothered with a pool. Live and learn.

I agree with loves the mountains, the social aspects are huge down here in the south. It's a great way to meet other people, isntead of staying holed up at homd.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,602 times
Coming from Arizona and Texas pools were much more common. You also had different weather patterns which allowed longer use time. They also made them differently to build into the backyard appeal.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
KingOfQueens-Love your id.

I know someone who had a pool and the upkeep nearly killed them. When it came time to sell their house it was a huge burden. People just didn't want the responsibilty that came with owning a pool. When I grew up I always said when I had a house, I was going to have a pool. Well, I owned a few houses and as a buy grown up, I don't have the resources to be bothered with a pool. Live and learn.

I agree with loves the mountains, the social aspects are huge down here in the south. It's a great way to meet other people, isntead of staying holed up at homd.
I guess the idea is that moving to a new place (outside NY) down south becomes more attractive to visit when you have a pool entertain with, especially with the warmer weather. Maybe we could get one of those robot pool vacums and a service to keep the chemicals up to speed. I hear you about the social aspects in the community, maybe we'd have a couple pool parties....who's in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or