U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,630 times

Advertisements

DON'T use any recommendation from the realtors. The home inspectors are helping the agents MAKE THE SALE!!! Don't be in a rush either, and don't believe anything the realtor tells you. They lie, big time. Get a MOLD test also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 5,585 times
Wink Yes to inspect

[quote=PoppyRaine;21781930]My husband and I put an offer on a home and now it's time to have the home inspected. Our realtor recommended us to a home inspector. Is it wise to do this? Do you think they are working with eachother to make deals happen? We have no idea who is a "good" home inspector. Can someone give us some names of inspectors that are good to work with?[/quot

I bought an older home and I didn't get the plumbing inspected. Now I'm paying $11,000 for replacement of sewer lines due to their being old and leaking which caused the foundation to crack.

When you get an inspection, you can use the required repairs to negotiate a lower price.

If you buy a newer home, you don't have to worry about having plumbing problems, you get a newer a/c unit too and you don't have to worry about replacing it, etc.

I'm speaking from experience.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 AM

312 posts, read 449,244 times
A professional would give you three recommendations. If anyone thinks there isn't collusion going on you are wrong. If you are shopping for a home in a certain area you should find the following: a GC who does HINSP., A pool inspector, A Termite inspector (you pay for) "Free" inspection is a selling op. and a Air Quality inspector based on what the GC finds.

Any hint of water damage or mold should instigate a IAQ (indoor air quality) inspection.

Make sure you really like the house. This level of due diligence will run you about $1,000 out of pocket.

Before you put in an offer always drive the neighborhood ( w/o realtor) in the morning, night and weekend.

Know what your getting. Talk to the neighbors, ask questions.

We just had a guy down here put his house back on the market 3 mo. after purchase because he found out the former owner was "Slaughtered" in the home. It was never disclosed by the Realtor. This is a true story.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyRaine View Post
My husband and I put an offer on a home and now it's time to have the home inspected. Our realtor recommended us to a home inspector. Is it wise to do this? Do you think they are working with eachother to make deals happen? We have no idea who is a "good" home inspector. Can someone give us some names of inspectors that are good to work with?
Be safe and get your own. It is likely that your agent and the inspector are friends and therefore a suspicious bond is formed. The agent wants to sell the house and the inspector wants referrals and repeat calls. The happier the agent, the more likely the inspector will get the repeat calls.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,755,974 times
If you hire an inspector the agent "knows" it goes without saying he is working for the agent NOT YOU...

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 34,094 times
Check out this site if you want one that works for you.
Independent Home Inspectors of North America

Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,292 times
Default How to confirm claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
For the benefit of the people out there that might read this post and take your advice I do have a question. When a home inspector, or any other person for that matter, advertises and claims so many years in the construction field how would you advise that the buyer, or whoever is hiring them, actually check out their claims? How would a person be able to even check out these claims of past previous experience?
I am a licensed builder. The state of MN requires a criminal background check, a difficult test and continuing education for all licensed contractors. There are only a handful of home inspectors in MN that are also licensed contractors. I think this should be a requirement here!
I have my state contractors license # posted on my website. I maintain this license as a credential.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM

602 posts, read 485,874 times
I picked my own and ended up using Alpha & Omega Home Inspection.
He was great. Spent close to two hours on my little 900sqFt condo.
I cant think of a single thing he missed.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 PM

21 posts, read 57,656 times
I have to recommend Jeff from Tri-County Inspections. He found a cracked foundation on a quite new house on which I had placed an offer back in 2006 and this was a factor in my decision not to buy that house. I also used him in late 2011 when I bought my current house. The sellers had actually done a seller inspection prior to listing and already fixed some things, but he found tons more and saved me a lot of money on super expensive repairs (mold remediation in crawl space, heat pump issues, jacuzzi tub jet repair, stucco repair, etc). The house is 2600 sq ft, and it took him most of the business day.

He is not the most personable guy, but his personality was not a factor in my decision to use him. I just wanted to save $ on repairs and he delivered. If I was selling a house and found out that Jeff was coming to do the buyer's inspection, I'd be very worried.

Tri-County Inspection and Consulting Services :: Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte