Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:46 PM

32 posts, read 53,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
"Closed minded thinkers" doesn't even fit the situation. You need to present comprehensible information when writing. Good day.
OK, I see how this goes, you can say what you want and I get cut.. get a life stella!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Once again, I apologize to my Charlotte friends for chiming in, but stuff like this makes my blood boil...

You make an OP about 'your life turned upside down after moving to Charlotte'...folks in Charlotte asked you to be more specific in your definition as to 'what' got turned upside down...and since no one offered you a blankie, a cookie, or a glass of milk (aka patting you on the head and telling you what you want to hear, instead of keeping it real and wanting you to get to the point), then you bust all snark-ola and tell folk to 'enjoy Thanksgiving...I have a life to attend to'? They have lives too, and they took time FROM said lives to try and probe for more information, so they could give an honest answer to you, and you take the low road and get smart...alrighty then...

Well it's like this...if you smear yourself with ground chuck and jump into the lion cage at the zoo, just to see what will happen, don't start crying when the lions have you for an appetizer...

You need to get a grip

Old 11-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
^^^^ Why are there still responses accusing the OP of having his own life turned upside down after moving to NC after he clearly stated this was not his personal situation? Maybe he would've gotten a better response if he had asked this question by randomly selecting and speaking to people in person.

OP, My life wasn't turned upside down after giving NC (Charlotte) a try. I decided it wasn't in the best interest of my teenage son after I read this article plus looked at news reports of the increasing number of Gang activity which led me to leave Charlotte. It was my fault by not doing through research before going to Charlotte. Below is the link about the gang activity in Charlotte you can copy and paste it to read it.

CrimeInCharlotte.com (http://www.crimeincharlotte.com/2011/10/fbi-gangs-growing-fastest-in.html - broken link)
Good for you doing the right thing for your family. I'm starting to like NC less and less after this thread. Good luck to you.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,533 times
(: uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɟıl ʎɯ pǝuɹnʇ ǝʇʇolɹɐɥɔ 'dǝʎ

mennc, welcome to internet forum'ing. I have to admit, your OP along with your initial follow up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennc View Post
....One had lost their job, another his wife passed, tons of divorces after relocating and was wondering if people were moving back after such a horrible event or staying put....
didn't do your cause justice. I don't see how the above reference has anything whatsoever to do with one's initial expectations of Charlotte, these things can happen to anyone, anywhere.

however, to go against the grain here, I'll just respond to what I 'think' you were getting at.....

Charlotte turned out to be waaay different than my initial expectations, however admittedly my view of CLT was 'uneducated'. I only went based on what I had heard and didn't really research it. In my defense, I got a job offer and an offer to move down here (from NJ), and at the same time had to get surgery that prevented me from coming down to check the place out. Therefore, I was forced to go based on other people's opinions, and we all know what opinions are like. so for me it was kind of a shock and somewhat of a letdown, but once I did the exploring on my own it grew on my and now here I am 4 years later, living in my own house.
I don't know if this helped at all, and I also don't fully agree with you getting ripped a new one, but you really need to be careful what you say and how you say it on an internet forum, especially the charlotte one as people tend to be a lil sensitive 'round here, I reckon. just my $.02, now back to my Saturday nite drinking and relaxing.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,054 times
Lightbulb Well, Guess What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarianms View Post
Sorry, but no one asked for your input!...You are not even from NC....You jump on the bandwagon to humiliate and try to make the other person feel worse then they already do...Sure, kick other people when they are down...Sure seems like that's the mentality on here...I sincerely feel sorry for you to have so much hatred in your heart!!!! I wonder how you treat people when you are face to face with them...Here you hide behind a computer, so you can act anyway you choose...Whatever happened to humanity?....
I took the time to apologize to the Charlotte forum...I prefaced my remarks WITH said apology---in fact I ALWAYS try to be polite whenever I go to a forum of a city or state where I am not a resident, with the intent of commenting on the subject at hand, if I find it of interest...if I step on toes in that thread/forum, then I will seek out the person or persons I've offended, and I WILL apaologize---I am man enough to admit a mistake when I've made it...

Having said that, I now say this---sorry, but after careful consideration, I've decided that I'd rather watch a tuxedo-wearing silverback gorilla try and raise college money by selling peanut-butter and banana sandwiches in front of the Bank Of America building, than to spend time worrying about you having a hissy-fit because you feel I'm not entitled to speak in this thread...

The OP made some kind of snide remark about telling people to 'enjoy Thanksgiving, because he's got a life to lead' after calling people close-minded because they didn't skip and grin and tell him what he wanted to hear...several posters beside myself wanted him to be more specific as to what he asked, or what he was referring to in his OP---nothing more, nothing less...people simply got tired of BS, so they let him know in no uncertain terms what was up...if that's being hateful, or kicking someone when they're down, well, tough---don't kick a sleeping dog, if you don't want to deal with his bite...

Furthermore, who the Sam Hill are you to tell me or ANYBODY posting in this thread about humanity, or bandwagon jumping, or how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop? I would suggest you refrain from trying to tell people what to post, how to feel, or which way to hang the toilet paper when putting in a new roll

And to close, I answer another question of yours---'I wonder how you treat people when you're face to face with them?'...simple---as I said in another thread here, I am straight, direct, and to the point...I hide from no one walking this earth...and I have no problem speaking my mind, at all, either in cyberspace or on Main Street in broad daylight

Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,054 times
Lightbulb Well, Quiet As It's Kept---

Quote:
You need to get a grip
I've got a grip...had one for years...sorry if you can't deal with it when people actually (gasp!) have the stones to tell you what time it is, but too bad...when you give folks attitude, expect to get it back, in spades...running around barking at people and telling them to get a life, because your hide ain't thick enough to handle criticism---and I need to get a grip? Yeahhhh right

Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,586 times
Yikes to all of you! Maybe back to the original issue if your life gets turned upside down in a new place Charlotte or Timbuktu do you stay or return home. I've known people who have done both and I think it depends on your outlook on life. Is it here I am in a new place things are miserable I'm miserable but this too shall pass and maybe this is a new opportunity for me so I'm gonna go for it. Then theres the life is miserable I'm miserable so I will go back to what is familiar and a place I feel safe and at least know the lay of the land. For what it is worth I lived in Charlotte area for 28 years after moving from western US Okay place but wouldn't go back. Currently live in Asheville and love it. Different strokes for different folks do whatever works for you.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 PM

222 posts, read 550,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I don't know if this helped at all, and I also don't fully agree with you getting ripped a new one, but you really need to be careful what you say and how you say it on an internet forum, especially the charlotte one as people tend to be a lil sensitive 'round here, I reckon. just my $.02, now back to my Saturday nite drinking and relaxing.
There are always going to be lots of people coming on here talking about how unhappy they are with Charlotte simply due to the sheer number of people who are relocated down here with very little say in the matter. The big financial institutions have moved down here and brought folks with them who just don't find Charlotte a good fit for their personal sensibilities. That's not their fault, and that's not Charlotte's fault, that's just the way it is. I mean, think about it, does a 25-year-old financial guru from NYC really want to relocate to a family-oriented Southern city? In most cases, probably not. But that's what's happening due to the way that big business is uprooting itself from the Northeast and finding new homes in more business-friendly parts of the country.

So the result is that people come on here and voice their angst when they realize Charlotte isn't a good fit for them, and that leads to lots of other people feeling as if Charlotte is being "blamed" for something that's not Charlotte's fault. Pretty much every one of these threads ends up exactly the same, with everyone feeling like crap. I don't know why we can't simply agree that Charlotte is what it is, and that just like everywhere else, some people will like it and others will not.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:37 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
There are always going to be lots of people coming on here talking about how unhappy they are with Charlotte simply due to the sheer number of people who are relocated down here with very little say in the matter. The big financial institutions have moved down here and brought folks with them who just don't find Charlotte a good fit for their personal sensibilities. That's not their fault, and that's not Charlotte's fault, that's just the way it is. I mean, think about it, does a 25-year-old financial guru from NYC really want to relocate to a family-oriented Southern city? In most cases, probably not. But that's what's happening due to the way that big business is uprooting itself from the Northeast and finding new homes in more business-friendly parts of the country........
ok, I don't have a clue what you're talking about. your first sentence simply makes no grammatical sense whatsoever. your comments about 'financial institutions moving down here' is just so bizarre and wrong that I don't even know what to say. charlotte's claim to fame has always been the banking industry so please get your facts straight. BoA and Wachovia have been here forever. you think CLT is more 'business friendly' than the northeast?
please, think before you C-D, will ya?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
Quote:
OK, I see how this goes, you can say what you want and I get cut.. get a life stella!
I was under the impression you had nothing else to say. At this point all you are doing is arguing with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte