U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 AM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzz2000 View Post
For outlets, the new Phila Premium outlets out on 422 are great.
For real shopping, KOP or even Center City.
For regular stuff, I go to Willow Grove.
No need to ever go to Franklin Mills.

ETA (to keep it relevant to the topic): Was home over the holiday weekend. My wife went to CP this weekend and didn't really have any traffic problems. My buddy's sister and GF tried going to SP and it was a disaster. Of course me, my buddy, and brother in law test drove cars for fun because the dealerships were empty. (Black friday tradition
Precisely the point I was trying to make. Franklin Mills is not on the radar for a lot of locals & is not a local destination. If it was a local destination, given the frequency that Woodhaven Rd is in traffic reports for problems, is would have been #1 on the list, easily.

If you are going to Willow Grove Mall (They tore down Willow Grove Park, an amusement park, to build it.), that tells me that you are in the Pennsy suburbs, most likely. When Franklin Mills was being built the intended audience was the Greater Northeast, Bucks County, & South Jersey, particularly Burlington County. Rouse countered by building Burlington Mall. By the standards of what the builder expected, Franklin Mills has been a failure. Thanks to people, who are not local, who go there it lives.

People in the Philly metro used to make one or two day trips a year to Reading to shop in real factory outlets. Now, people in South Jersey are more likely to go to Lancaster County to shop in outlets intended for the Baltimore crowd.

As the economy rights itself, Charlotte needs to bring retail back to Uptown. It will take traffic pressure off the malls, but it needs to be something that the city government is involved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 05:13 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,987,428 times
I think this ranking is all about the location of SouthPark. Of all the comparable malls I can think of, SouthPark has to be the furtherest from a major highway or thoroughfare. Its literally smack in the middle of a neighborhood. The closet major road is South Blvd and look at how far away I-77 is. By comparison, think about the location of malls like Lenox in Atlanta to GA 400, The Galleria in Dallas to their beltway, or Four Seasons and Hanes in the triad to I-40, or the malls in the Raleigh area. Most malls I can think of are right off major roads or highways.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,053,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I think this ranking is all about the location of SouthPark. Of all the comparable malls I can think of, SouthPark has to be the furtherest from a major highway or thoroughfare. Its literally smack in the middle of a neighborhood. The closet major road is South Blvd and look at how far away I-77 is. By comparison, think about the location of malls like Lenox in Atlanta to GA 400, The Galleria in Dallas to their beltway, or Four Seasons and Hanes in the triad to I-40, or the malls in the Raleigh area. Most malls I can think of are right off major roads or highways.

i agree with you. Of all the malls that I have been to and in larger areas and areas of the same size, this one is kinda out of the way in that respect.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,854,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Concord Mills technically is in Charlotte as well. Carolina Place is the only super-regional mall in our area that is not in Charlotte.
As soon as you cross into Cabarrus County on I-85 you also enter the Concord City Limits. It's pretty much near the edge of Charlotte's city limits but in Concord kind of how Carolina Place is at the edge but in Pineville.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,995,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Concord Mills technically is in Charlotte as well. Carolina Place is the only super-regional mall in our area that is not in Charlotte.
Minor point, but Concord Mills in not in Charlotte... not even technically. It's in an entirely different county (Cabarrus), it's named *Concord* Mills, and it's in the city of Concord!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,511,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Minor point, but Concord Mills in not in Charlotte... not even technically. It's in an entirely different county (Cabarrus), it's named *Concord* Mills, and it's in the city of Concord!
Then it should be Concord Motor Speedway since it's address is 5555 Concord Parkway South Concord, NC 28027-4600.. just sayin..

Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,171,219 times
Of course it had a bad Black Friday. Black Friday is for deal shoppers looking for deep discounts. Southpark hardly fits this model - maybe I'm wrong.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times
Traffic around Tyson's Corner Center in NOVA is much worse than South Park. You guys don't have traffic down here like we did up North.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,163,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Traffic around Tyson's Corner Center in NOVA is much worse than South Park. You guys don't have traffic down here like we did up North.
OMG. I still have nightmares of being stuck in Tyson's Corner traffic. My wife worked across the street from Tyson's two and it would take her an hour to get out of her parking garage then another hour to get home. We only lived 4 miles away.

Love Charlotte so much more than NOVA!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
OMG. I still have nightmares of being stuck in Tyson's Corner traffic. My wife worked across the street from Tyson's two and it would take her an hour to get out of her parking garage then another hour to get home. We only lived 4 miles away.

Love Charlotte so much more than NOVA!
It's actually worse now, if you can imagine, on account of the HOT lanes that are being built nearby on the Beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte