Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 57,853 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been going through all the needed inspections on the home we plan to buy. Today we received the radon test results back. Apparently, anthing over 4 is considered high and we have a 13.7. To remediate the problem will cost $2,000. Is high radon serious enough to walk away from a property? Has anyone experienced radon in their home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
13.7?

You mean 1.37 pCi/L? Under 1.4 is considered "background" and you're likely to find 0.4pCi/L in the air outside!

I test radon in every home I've purchased... around here the level is always right around 1.4 pCi/L. The EPA "action level" is above 4 pCi/L, and even then you can treat it with some venting and get it below 1.5...

If the level is 14 pCi/L, then I would have some serious reservations.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,624 times
Our last house which we built in Ohio had similar radon levels. A few of the neighbors found this out and my main concern is resale value. We all got the builder to contract company to put in radon reduction units at his cost which corrected the problem. I think the radon levels can be higher in the OH/PA areas. My house had a basement and they installed a passive subslab suction unit (drilled hole in concrete to install pvc pipe about 6in dia. which went to roof), all my sump pumps were sealed along with any cracks. It was a non issue when we sold house. My view on radon levels is the standards are set based on a person being in house 24/7 for 20-30 years...few people stay in houses for this long a period. My radon levels did not cause me any health concern, just that it would be a resale (cost) issue when I sold home.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 57,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
13.7?

You mean 1.37 pCi/L? Under 1.4 is considered "background" and you're likely to find 0.4pCi/L in the air outside!

I test radon in every home I've purchased... around here the level is always right around 1.4 pCi/L. The EPA "action level" is above 4 pCi/L, and even then you can treat it with some venting and get it below 1.5...

If the level is 14 pCi/L, then I would have some serious reservations.
No, not 1.37pCi/L. The level is 13.7 pCi/L... very high in my book. Scary. I wonder why it's so high?

Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM

58 posts, read 134,340 times
we had this problem with a house we sold in Kentucky with a basement. Radon installation cost about $650 which was a bargain compared to the $1-2k everyone told me it would cost. but the job was easy since it was a ranch with a direct open chase to the attic.

Is radon an issue in Charlotte in homes with crawl spaces? We are new to the area and looking to buy.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:51 PM

123 posts, read 328,599 times
Radon remediation is quite effective and you should try to negotiate the $2,000 with the seller if you really want the house. Even if you walk away the seller will have to deal with the situation with the next buyer, so they should be willing to work with you.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,394 times
With a house it is much easier than a condo. If they do not give you a credit I would walk away. Radon gas kills more people very year than drunk driving. Make sure the person who is doing the testing does not do the remediation!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,524 times
Ask your Doctor what He/She thinks about the level.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 AM

162 posts, read 729,521 times
13.7? Wow that is pretty high, well beyond the level where remediation should be done. I had this issue in my condo/rental property and I had a system put in. It cost a few thousand $$$, but that involved a lot of custom duct work etc.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 21,135 times
Default Why a radon reading of over 4 pcL might actually be of benefit to you, the buyer.

As a Realtor, I am very familiar with radon "issues" and have seen readings of higher than 13.7 on more than one occasion. The EPA recommends remediation at or above 4 picocuries per liter (Canada is 200 Bq/m³ which is the equivalent of 5.4 pCi/L) Installing a Radon remediation system for radon gas in air should cost between $800 and usually no more than $1600 depending on the scope of work (and which company does it!) The job usually entails creating a small hole in the slab floor of your basement (or the lowest level of your home or business) and then, with the use of a small fan within a PVC pipe system, drawing air and gas from under the slab up through the pipe and outside. Once this simple system has been installed you can expect the radon in air level to go down to below the EPA guideline of 4 pCi/L.

Here's why I explain to my buyers that a radon test that is over 4 pCi/L can actually be a good thing for them; radon levels can fluctuate over years, months and even days. You, as a buyer, may test and find a level of 3.8 pCi/L for which the seller is not obligated to treat. You could test the same home just a month after purchasing the home and find a level of 13 pCi/L at which point remediation would be on your dime. Or you might not test at all and just be living with an elevated level of radon without knowing it. Better that you find a slightly elevated level and have the seller install a system. I know we are now a long way from when this initial question was asked but if you're reading this and wondering the same thing...be not afraid! 99 times out of 100 it's the sellers responsibility to remediate and once that's done you can move forward and buy in confidence with the comfort that you have a system in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte