U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 AM

37 posts, read 47,656 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm graduating from college this May in a creative field and thinking about Charlotte as a possible relocation. I'm looking at cities that have an easy commute out to the country. I ride horses competitively as a hobby and would prefer not to spend 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to get out to the barn! Some places I'm looking at are Denver, Minneapolis, and I'm waffling a bit on Austin. However, I really would like to stay on the east coast. I'm from Atlanta, and I've heard Charlotte is like its little sister. For those who are single and young, how is it over there? Do you find it is easy to meet people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM

222 posts, read 458,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tres grey View Post
For those who are single and young, how is it over there? Do you find it is easy to meet people?
It depends on how you define "young." I'm 33 but I like to consider myself young If you're 22, you might not agree with me on that characterization But if you're just graduating college and in your early to mid 20s, I would bet that any of the cities you mentioned, including Charlotte, will give you a wide array of other young people to hang out with. Once you get into your early 30s like me, it becomes a bit harder to meet people socially in mid-sized cities because people tend to get married, have children, etc, so unless you live in one of the nation's major metro areas, like NYC, San Fran, etc, it's going to be slim pickins for singles over 30. But you appear to be looking at mid-sized cities, and being close to the country is important to you, and so in my view, Charlotte would be just as good as Minneapolis, etc, for someone just out of college looking to live a pretty normal life for a person their age.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 PM

763 posts, read 646,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
It depends on how you define "young." I'm 33 but I like to consider myself young If you're 22, you might not agree with me on that characterization But if you're just graduating college and in your early to mid 20s, I would bet that any of the cities you mentioned, including Charlotte, will give you a wide array of other young people to hang out with. Once you get into your early 30s like me, it becomes a bit harder to meet people socially in mid-sized cities because people tend to get married, have children, etc, so unless you live in one of the nation's major metro areas, like NYC, San Fran, etc, it's going to be slim pickins for singles over 30. But you appear to be looking at mid-sized cities, and being close to the country is important to you, and so in my view, Charlotte would be just as good as Minneapolis, etc, for someone just out of college looking to live a pretty normal life for a person their age.
Yea, the 30s were difficult at time although I didn't live in Charlotte as far as finding single 30 year olds. I had to settle for going out with girls any age over 18. At age 22, you will be in a good position if you look prettier than a warthog.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:12 PM

185 posts, read 273,397 times
Im an Atl native too, so yes very little sister here in the QC. I pray they learn from ATL's mistakes everyday and not try to grow to quickly but thats another topic lol

As far as meeting people IMO if you dont make the effort you wont meet people, if that makes sense. TO give an example, I found it easier to meet people in Greensboro than I did here but it could just be me , im introvert by nature.

But Charlotte isnt a bad move, nice people, decent food and shopping, worth a try!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
As far as meeting people IMO if you dont make the effort you wont meet people, if that makes sense. TO give an example, I found it easier to meet people in Greensboro than I did here but it could just be me , im introvert by nature.
I've never been to Greensboro. Why do you think it was so easy to meet people there? I may have to check it out.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,342,492 times
Do a search on this site. You'll find that there aren't enough bars, or things to do, or enough bars.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 PM

185 posts, read 273,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
I've never been to Greensboro. Why do you think it was so easy to meet people there? I may have to check it out.
IDK But I mixed, mingled and met more people in my under 2 years there than I have in the 4 yrs Ive been in the QC. Maybe because the city is smaller, more of a college town/family like city......the economy was better, who knows

Old 11-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
IDK But I mixed, mingled and met more people in my under 2 years there than I have in the 4 yrs Ive been in the QC. Maybe because the city is smaller, more of a college town/family like city......the economy was better, who knows
Makes sense. I've lived all over the country but the most friends I ever made were in a small city that was also a college town. Sometimes it's the smaller cities that have the best environments for being social.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 AM

763 posts, read 646,712 times
Size of a city is no obsticle. The only obsticle is the individual. If you are an outwardly going person, you will meet people. If not, you might end up lonely. That would be the case anywhere. There are 2 million people in the metro. Meeting others is not an obsticle.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 PM

189 posts, read 286,628 times
To the OP. I'm 25 and from the midwest originally. I love Charlotte. There are never a shortage of things to do. I live in Southend which is a great area for someone your age. Great neighborhood with access to Uptown via the light rail. I've found it's very easy to make friends. It does help knowing at least one person and branching out from there. But if you get involved in some sort of activities I'm sure you'd have no problem.

As for your hobby, I'm not sure where barns are but I have a friend who lives on Lake Wylie out by Gastonia/Belmont. It's only about a 25-30 minute drive from where I live. It gets pretty rural out that way so I'd imagine there would be a place for you to ride.

Good luck. I have a friend in Minneapolis who works for Target. She's never had a bad thing to say minus the weather. A co-worker's brother lives in Denver and is also very positive. Doesn't sound like you can go wrong any way you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or