U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

I am on the no-call list but have decided it must be nearly worthless these days, as I am getting solicitation calls almost daily.

Anyone else having this problem?

I just got one from "Direct Buy" and I have never signed up for anything with them, never inquired about their services - and don't understand how the heck they got my name/number or why it is legal for them to call here.

For all I know, it was simply a scammer, cause the first thing they said was - I had been selected as one of the "telephone numbers" to receive a $50K house makeover.

I just told them to not call back and hung up. What really bothers me is that they had my first name. How did they get it?

I can understand charity organizations and political organizations calling (and we get those nearly daily, too) . . . but folks calling w/ this kind of scam makes my blood boil.

Anyone else having problems? Is there some NC call list I am not on?

In case you are interested, here is the number. That way, if you get a call from them you can at least avoid answering it, lol

214 269 8809

PS> And the really crazy thing is . . . the guy has an accent - sounded maybe - Filipino? So what is he doing with a 214 area code number? It is bound to be one of those call centers set up offshore somewhere. Sheer trickery, routing it thru/ a US #, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,864,631 times
Had quite a few lately, stopped being as nice, nowadays I answer the phone with remove me from your calling list.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Had quite a few lately, stopped being as nice, nowadays I answer the phone with remove me from your calling list.
I am not nice these days, either. If I choose to answer the phone when I don't recognize the number (something I don't usually do) . . . I no longer say HELLO - I say "May I ask who is calling, please?"

That throws 'em off from the first. They mutter . . . ummmm . . . Is Miss Anifani there?" and I repeat . .. "May I ask who is calling, please?" and then if they still don't tell me - I just hang up.

I am so tired of the interruptions.

I am getting the calls more and more frequently on my cell phone, too. I never answer unknown callers on my cell phone, but it is still interruptive.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:29 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
I worked a little while for a company that did telephone surveys (I know, I know) and the numbers called were truly randomly selected (and we definitely didn't know anyone's names, not sure how that happened). We weren't selling anything and were just calling for informational purposes so were exempt from the Do Not Call lists. Technically you had to record if they asked to be removed from the list and they shouldn't be called again, but you were kinda graded based on how many people said that so I did know a few people that would record that as something else and then they would actually be called back.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,200,036 times
actually I have to say no, I'm not getting any 'more than usual', and I work from home so u'd think I get more during the day. I'm also not on any 'no call' list, other than apparently every girl I meet
you need to be extremely cautious what you sign up for or provide your email address or phone # to, specifically online. Read the privacy statements and whatnot, some will sell your info to marketers like the one Ani is talking about. they'll catch you when u least expect it. create a 'spam' email address and use that whenever ur not 100000% sure. I have a separate email addy set aside just for this type of stuff.
I know when I go to Lowe's and checkout, they ask for my phone # and I politely decline. and Lowe's is somewhat reputable, but others ask to and they may not be as reputable.
all that being said, one habit I haven't lost as a yankee is telling unsolicited callers to go @#$% themselves.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,794 times
Thanks for the heads up Ani. I got a call from this number today at 4:45, I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message...thank god for caller ID.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcasava View Post
Thanks for the heads up Ani. I got a call from this number today at 4:45, I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message...thank god for caller ID.
Glad that saved you the aggravation, Carcasava!

After I posted here, I googled the tel # and found a complaint website where others were very perturbed about the repeat calls from that number. Some said it was Direct Buy (wh/ is the company that called me) . . .

I do not sign my legal name the same as my nickname. So when the person used my nickname (totally different name altogether from my "legal" name) - that really upset me. How the heck did they match up that name - wh/ appears on nothing legal from bills to credit cards to medical records - w/ my phone number? That was what has bugged me the most.

Just very odd stuff. It is as tho a friend would have had to have given them my nickname and phone number - wh/ has me truly perplexed.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
actually I have to say no, I'm not getting any 'more than usual', and I work from home so u'd think I get more during the day. I'm also not on any 'no call' list, other than apparently every girl I meet
you need to be extremely cautious what you sign up for or provide your email address or phone # to, specifically online. Read the privacy statements and whatnot, some will sell your info to marketers like the one Ani is talking about. they'll catch you when u least expect it. create a 'spam' email address and use that whenever ur not 100000% sure. I have a separate email addy set aside just for this type of stuff.
I know when I go to Lowe's and checkout, they ask for my phone # and I politely decline. and Lowe's is somewhat reputable, but others ask to and they may not be as reputable.
all that being said, one habit I haven't lost as a yankee is telling unsolicited callers to go @#$% themselves.
Hubby and I are both really puzzled about them calling me by my nickname. I do give out my phone number when checking out but my nickname is not listed even on my phone bill, much less in a phone directory. And when I fill out anything online, I use a special email addy for those things only and I never use my nickname - never ever ever.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I worked a little while for a company that did telephone surveys (I know, I know) and the numbers called were truly randomly selected (and we definitely didn't know anyone's names, not sure how that happened). We weren't selling anything and were just calling for informational purposes so were exempt from the Do Not Call lists. Technically you had to record if they asked to be removed from the list and they shouldn't be called again, but you were kinda graded based on how many people said that so I did know a few people that would record that as something else and then they would actually be called back.
Hey, it was a job, GoPhils.

I don't mind the political phone calls or even the ones asking if I want to do a political survey - they gotta get their survey info somehow . . . and I don't mind the calls from legit not-for-profits that I have donated to in the past.

I have asked to be removed from several lists and they still keep calling (same folks) so no one was taking down the info - that was obvious.

What I started doing several years ago was putting these numbers in my address book on my phone, w/ a "name" for the caller such as "solicitor xx" or "don't answer it" or "aggravation" . . . that way, when they called back again, I would immediately see my "note" to myself and know not to pick up. That's fine - unless they are using 1000 different numbers to call from.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM

21,873 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If you're referring to the place on Greentree Road, I also did a stint there & what you posted is 100% true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte