U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times

Advertisements

Here is expected job break down
Salary
$40,000 or less
33 jobs
$40,001-$50,000
72 jobs
$50,001-$60,000
75 jobs
$60,001-$70,000
46 jobs
$70,001-$80,000
65 jobs
$80,001-$90,000
15 jobs
$90,001-$100,000
24 jobs
$100,001-$125,000
68 jobs
$125,001-$150,000
17 jobs
$150,001-$175,000
19 jobs
$175,001-$200,000
12 jobs
More than $200,000
21 jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM

310 posts, read 590,567 times
@Mutiny77

Have a degree. Doing fine. Didn't always have one. Wasn't always doing fine. Can easily recall those days of knowing I was working harder than a guy upstairs in a brand new ergonomic office chair. Not trying to come off as "one of the entitled" or whatever it's called these days, but I do remember years of my life where I felt like there was absolutely no opportunity or place for me in this brand new effed up globalist "pay an institution for your golden ticket to a decent life" world we live in. I managed to scrape out a degree (barely, I didn't eat for days at a time - should anyone have to do that just to live?) and now I do alright. But I still consider my time spent in college a waste of my time and money. Why? Because I was raised to do. Not be a skull full of mush sitting under fluorescent lights reading from an overpriced book whose information was most likely obtainable for free at a local library. Anyway, good luck to everyone who is eying a job at Chiquita. I've said my piece. Time for a walk to make me non-irate at the state of things.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Just someone that hasn't forgotten and won't forget that not everyone can purchase their golden ticket to "deserving" better income. Because that's what college is. Otherwise wouldn't we all be apprenticing or down at the local library reading what's in those overpriced textbooks for free?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Hey hey! We agree on something! Woo! But yea, I'm not trying to be one of those idiots that seriously expects Bachelor's Degree or higher pay grade for entry or just above entry level jobs. But it's breaking my heart to pieces, especially at this time of year when I personally know SO many people that would be happy for even the mere chance at a job they could actually, ya know, live off of without having to cram another 30-60 hours at some OTHER crappy job that we all know should probably pay more. Not trying to derail the thread here, but sometimes I have to turn off all the news, Internet, smartphone, EVERYTHING because I find myself getting literally physically ill at the attitude and direction of this country; "Get a college degree or shut up and be poor." I'm telling everyone right now, if we don't change the employment climate of this state/nation, we're gonna see a lot of violent, bad things start happening. Honestly? I couldn't blame anyone for flipping out these days.
Imagine that!

You are right on the money. The employment outlook is dreary at best. They want you to hold a bachelor's to simply sit and answer the phone anymore. Someone mentioned the fact that the currently unemployed are not even worth taking a look at. How stupid is that!? I could go on and on but to not get to far off of topic, you are right....desperate people do desperate things and if something doesn't change then we have very tough, bad times ahead. And not that far ahead I believe.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM

29,710 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Quote:
Have a degree. Doing fine. Didn't always have one. Wasn't always doing fine. Can easily recall those days of knowing I was working harder than a guy upstairs in a brand new ergonomic office chair. Not trying to come off as "one of the entitled" or whatever it's called these days, but I do remember years of my life where I felt like there was absolutely no opportunity or place for me in this brand new effed up globalist "pay an institution for your golden ticket to a decent life" world we live in. I managed to scrape out a degree (barely, I didn't eat for days at a time - should anyone have to do that just to live?) and now I do alright. But I still consider my time spent in college a waste of my time and money. Why? Because I was raised to do. Not be a skull full of mush sitting under fluorescent lights reading from an overpriced book whose information was most likely obtainable for free at a local library. Anyway, good luck to everyone who is eying a job at Chiquita. I've said my piece. Time for a walk to make me non-irate at the state of things.
If that's the value you place on higher education, then that's extremely sad and shortsighted.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If that's the value you place on higher education, then that's extremely sad and shortsighted.
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach"

Good luck to all the people that qualify for these new jobs. HA! Now I'm not off topic.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach"
As if "doing" and "teaching" were mutually exclusive.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Every job development isn't going to be for the "masses of people" and to expect that all, or even the majority, of them will consist of low-wage, low-skilled jobs is not only unrealistic, but it's certainly not a way to build a highly qualified workforce which helps to raise the standard of living overall.

And you may not want to get a college degree, but it's extremely helpful to do so. The days of coming fresh out of high school and landing a good job at the manufacturing plant have long been gone. You need some sort of training and education today to get a decent-paying job. Even an associate's helps, and in some cases, can land you a job that might pay more than one that requires a bachelor's.
To send children to college to accrue tremendous debt in hopes of that landing "that job", when there are no jobs there is very dangerous ground and that is where we are today. But more importantly, this country makes nothing, we produce nothing....for those that know their history they know what this country faces. For those that don't... read up about Rome.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
To send children to college to accrue tremendous debt in hopes of that landing "that job", when there are no jobs there is very dangerous ground and that is where we are today. But more importantly, this country makes nothing, we produce nothing....for those that know their history they know what this country faces. For those that don't... read up about Rome.
In the words of the kid I was discussing politics with at the crosswalk yesterday - "Word."

Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
We're talking about different things here. The cost of a college education is indeed increasing dramatically and that needs to be changed, but that's no cause to denigrate the value of a college education. And yes, we need more manufacturing in this country as well, and as I mentioned earlier, an associate's degree in some cases has more earning power than a bachelor's. But there's still some level of education involved.

At the end of the day, the development of our human infrastructure is going to carry the day and attitudes that dismiss the significant and necessary role that education plays into that are extremely detrimental to the well-being and security of this nation in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or