U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:35 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,208,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Charlotte City Council has approved about $1 million in incentives to lure banana company Chiquita's headquarters from Cincinnati. Mecklenburg County would add $1 million to the effort, while the state would pitch in $2 million. Chiquita also is considering Boca Raton, Fla., and it could decide to stay in Cincinnati.

read more Charlotte hopes to lure Chiquita (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/13/2605135/chiquita-considering-a-move-to.html - broken link)
Excellent news that Chiquita will be moving to Charlotte. Partial thanks should go to Delta Airlines, who by shrinking the Cincinnati hub, is running off corporations left and right from that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

467 posts, read 860,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Funny. Two weeks in San Francisco and you come back with the mind of Sigmond Fraud and an ability to understand and analyze the minds of two million people in Charlotte. Quite a feat.

It is especially nice to know that you were impressed with the opera and "the way it was staged, the plot and the ad libbing". You don't see that around "these parts" with the Ma Kettle productions.

I would be interested in hearing more about those "personally offended to ecen have such an institution in this city" in regards to the symphony.

It sort of sounds like it was your first trip out of town to a big city like San Francisco.

Maybe if we had cultural activities like plays "down here" people might start moving here?

Actually I lived in San Francisco for about seven years. So it's not like I'm some wide-eyed person going to da "big city" for the first time. I've also lived in the South for a total of 30 years, in varying degrees of city v. rural. So I've experienced both settings enough to know that there is a huge difference in our community's response to the arts, and the general overall interest in it.

You want to hear more about those "personally offended"? Just read some of the comments to this recent article about the CLT Symphony:

Charlotte Symphony launches drive to raise $40 million | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Every city is going to have plays and repertory theaters and an opera and a symphony and indie events...you can't cite the existence of those alone as evidence of the community's treatment of those. The Charlotte Symphony has some of the lowest pay of any orchestra in a city with a metro. population of >1 million, and their budget is still under water. The economics are telling. The base salary of a Charlotte Symphony musician is $31,350. Cincinnati? $87,715. Atlanta? $70,200. San Francisco? $104,000. Which one stands out like a sore thumb?

It becomes a catch 22 because a lack of artistic interest means you don't pay a lot for performers to be here, meaning you're only going to attract second-rate performers, meaning the level of performances you're going to get is going to s*ck compared to what you can get elsewhere, meaning when you try to introduce people to a particular artform when they are getting less-than-impressive renditions of it, it's not going to be enticing, meaning that the cycle continues...

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM

3,448 posts, read 4,322,955 times
While they are luring Cincinatti corporations to Charlotte, wish they could bring Frisch's Big Boy down here.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,516,698 times
A $5 million payment to offset moving costs was key to Charlotte's successful recruitment of Chiquita Brands International's headquarters from Cincinnati, according to a transcript of a closed City Council session. Some council members had reservations about the payment but agreed to it to seal the deal.

$5 million moving payment key to Chiquita deal

Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,590,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A $5 million payment to offset moving costs was key to Charlotte's successful recruitment of Chiquita Brands International's headquarters from Cincinnati, according to a transcript of a closed City Council session. Some council members had reservations about the payment but agreed to it to seal the deal.

$5 million moving payment key to Chiquita deal
That is bull....pay their own moving expenses.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM

310 posts, read 590,935 times
I don't have any links (yet), but I heard on a radio news announcement that most, if not all of the positions that Chiquita is bringing to Charlotte will be "Corporate Level" positions. Now, I'm just a dumb hick that has to exclude everything before NASCAR, football, etc (just a lil fun poke in the eye for a previous poster hehe) but to me this sounds like a pretty crappy deal for the masses of people who either don't qualify for "corporate level" jobs or really just need a job that doesn't exploit them for $8.00/hour (yes, that IS exploitation - YOU try going to college and existing off that CRAP) so that they can attend some classes just TO qualify for corporate level positions. Friggin messed UP, man.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,590,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
I don't have any links (yet), but I heard on a radio news announcement that most, if not all of the positions that Chiquita is bringing to Charlotte will be "Corporate Level" positions. Now, I'm just a dumb hick that has to exclude everything before NASCAR, football, etc (just a lil fun poke in the eye for a previous poster hehe) but to me this sounds like a pretty crappy deal for the masses of people who either don't qualify for "corporate level" jobs or really just need a job that doesn't exploit them for $8.00/hour (yes, that IS exploitation - YOU try going to college and existing off that CRAP) so that they can attend some classes just TO qualify for corporate level positions. Friggin messed UP, man.
I have heard the same thing. This is nothing more than corporate welfare at the taxpayer expense once again.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM

310 posts, read 590,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I have heard the same thing. This is nothing more than corporate welfare at the taxpayer expense once again.
Hey hey! We agree on something! Woo! But yea, I'm not trying to be one of those idiots that seriously expects Bachelor's Degree or higher pay grade for entry or just above entry level jobs. But it's breaking my heart to pieces, especially at this time of year when I personally know SO many people that would be happy for even the mere chance at a job they could actually, ya know, live off of without having to cram another 30-60 hours at some OTHER crappy job that we all know should probably pay more. Not trying to derail the thread here, but sometimes I have to turn off all the news, Internet, smartphone, EVERYTHING because I find myself getting literally physically ill at the attitude and direction of this country; "Get a college degree or shut up and be poor." I'm telling everyone right now, if we don't change the employment climate of this state/nation, we're gonna see a lot of violent, bad things start happening. Honestly? I couldn't blame anyone for flipping out these days.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 AM

29,777 posts, read 27,202,592 times
Every job development isn't going to be for the "masses of people" and to expect that all, or even the majority, of them will consist of low-wage, low-skilled jobs is not only unrealistic, but it's certainly not a way to build a highly qualified workforce which helps to raise the standard of living overall.

And you may not want to get a college degree, but it's extremely helpful to do so. The days of coming fresh out of high school and landing a good job at the manufacturing plant have long been gone. You need some sort of training and education today to get a decent-paying job. Even an associate's helps, and in some cases, can land you a job that might pay more than one that requires a bachelor's.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,003,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Hey hey! We agree on something! Woo! But yea, I'm not trying to be one of those idiots that seriously expects Bachelor's Degree or higher pay grade for entry or just above entry level jobs. But it's breaking my heart to pieces, especially at this time of year when I personally know SO many people that would be happy for even the mere chance at a job they could actually, ya know, live off of without having to cram another 30-60 hours at some OTHER crappy job that we all know should probably pay more. Not trying to derail the thread here, but sometimes I have to turn off all the news, Internet, smartphone, EVERYTHING because I find myself getting literally physically ill at the attitude and direction of this country; "Get a college degree or shut up and be poor." I'm telling everyone right now, if we don't change the employment climate of this state/nation, we're gonna see a lot of violent, bad things start happening. Honestly? I couldn't blame anyone for flipping out these days.
I'm with you 100% on this one. And let's face it, a "college degree" by itself is nothing by today's standards. One now needs an advanced degree of some kind to join the corporate level crowd. Oh, and don't get me started on the fact that the currently unemployed are considered to be "undesirable employees".

So NO, Chiquita will not be hiring anyone in Charlotte that's not already employed. Just wait until the first "Hi, I'm looking for a $400,000-$600,000 house; I'm from Cincinnati" thread is started. You won't need to ask what company that OP is coming down here with. You should already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or