Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,585,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
It's nice to have CHOICES, so that if we feel that 90% of TV media outlets are full of liberal drivel, we can listen to something else with differing opinions. Nice country we live in, especially the whole "freedom of speech" thing. It allows those of us who appreciate the opportunity to think for ourselves while enjoying commentary from both sides to make up our own mind.
That means, yes, some people do take Mr. Copley seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:42 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,576,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
That means, yes, some people do take Mr. Copley seriously.
Sure some people take him seriously. I haven't listen to him much. WBT hasn't had a good person in that slot since Jason Lewis left. IMO. I'm sure there is alot of people that do agree with his views. Just as I know there are a ton of people that don't agree with yours! It's Vince Coakley btw.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,617,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
It's nice to have CHOICES, so that if we feel that 90% of TV media outlets are full of liberal drivel, we can listen to something else with differing opinions. Nice country we live in, especially the whole "freedom of speech" thing. It allows those of us who appreciate the opportunity to think for ourselves while enjoying commentary from both sides to make up our own mind.
Yeah, choices are great. It's also great if you choose to share your opinion on the station and host as I did in my original post. Otherwise, I'm not sure the point of your comment. Or should I infer that you take him seriously? Somebody must... his show is still on the air.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,253,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Yeah, choices are great. It's also great if you choose to share your opinion on the station and host as I did in my original post. Otherwise, I'm not sure the point of your comment. Or should I infer that you take him seriously? Somebody must... his show is still on the air.
Just a thought - Maybe your question would get more responses if it were in the form of a poll.

Your first question - does anyone take this host or station seriously? It seems you already answered that one yourself (in above quote) . . . but the second one . . . does anyone think their shows are way too outrageous? . . . I would re-phrase it to get a better response. You asked originally about the particular show you were listening to . . . but then asked something more global - "their shows" meaning all their programming on WBT? or all of Coakley's shows? That was so vague . . . if what you are wanting is how folks feel specifically about that one show . . . you could do a poll stating "Do you think Vince Coakley's show is too outrageous?" as that is more to the point.

Your post piqued my interest in finding out who Vince Coakley is and why you would want to find out if folks think his broadcasts are "outrageous." So I googled him and found lots of info including links to various interesting folks, including Ron Paul, Juan Williams, Rick Newman, and Marc DuPont.

I also found archives of the last few days, so I listened a bit to it. I didn't find anything I considered outrageous. I found the info on baggage fees informative, actually. And he talked about "men's rights" wh/ I also found interesting, even if I am not sure I have a full understanding of the subject - I would need to do a lot more research on it (and I am not that interested, really, lol). But it definitely provided info I had never heard about.

Certainly didn't hear anything I would categorize as "outrageous" from the several clips I listened to. No more "outrageous" than some of the discussions I have heard on NPR, wh/ I do occasionally listen to while driving as hubby likes to listen to NPR in the car.

Differing points of view are good . . . just b/c I don't agree w/ someone doesn't mean their views are outrageous. But maybe a poll would give you some idea how others feel.

Sorry I don't have more to share with you - I just don't enjoy talk radio. I much prefer my own selection of iTunes.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,370,603 times
Quote:
You disagree with Coakley so his opinion MUST be outrageous. That makes a lot of sense.

I've listened to Coakley and his opinion is no more or less outrageous than Alan Colmes', Rush Limbaugh or Ron Kuby's (and while Kuby's opinions tend to fall under the definition of outrageous, he's entitled to them and it makes them and him no more or less valid...dare I say for his views he's probably got the most conviction behind them out of anybody in talk radio).

Vince Coakley doesn't like Obama. So what? Looking at his poll numbers he's in huge company. Turn the station. Very easy.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Brian, you have to do better than that. I listen to lots of folks that don't like Obama. I don't think they are all loons. I listen to some people that do like Obama and I think a handfull of those are loons too.

I'm pretty equal opportunity when it comes to dismissing looniness.

So, Brian, do you like his show?

ETA: This really isn't a comment about liking someone's opinion or not. It is an observation about our society. Many people don't know how to have a civil discussion or even debate with resorting to name calling, misrepresenting facts, shouting the other voice down, etc.... I feel that in some ways, the "media" is responsible for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
You disagree with Coakley so his opinion MUST be outrageous. That makes a lot of sense.

I've listened to Coakley and his opinion is no more or less outrageous than Alan Colmes', Rush Limbaugh or Ron Kuby's (and while Kuby's opinions tend to fall under the definition of outrageous, he's entitled to them and it makes them and him no more or less valid...dare I say for his views he's probably got the most conviction behind them out of anybody in talk radio).

Vince Coakley doesn't like Obama. So what? Looking at his poll numbers he's in huge company. Turn the station. Very easy.

Last edited by baybook; 11-23-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,253,574 times
Quote:
Brian, you have to do better than that. I listen to lots of folks that don't like Obama. I don't think they are all loons. I listen to some people that do like Obama and I think a handfull of those are loons too.

ETA: This really isn't a comment about liking someone's opinion or not. It is an observation about our society. Many people don't know how to have a civil discussion or even debate with resorting to name calling, misrepresenting facts, shouting the other voice down, etc.... I feel that in some ways, the "media" is responsible for it.
And the inference is . . . you think Vince Coakley is one of the worst offenders? Just wondering why you mentioned his particular program over all the others out there today. Just for the record: the clips I heard had no such name calling or shouting, etc.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,370,603 times
Quote:

I'm not really trying to do better. I've tuned in to Vince Coakley and while I've never heard a complete show of his, I don't think I've ever heard anything from him that would qualify as being outrageous. Unless Coakley's cereal got soggy before he sat down for breakfast that day, I didn't think he was capable of being outrageous.

His show is a little too bland for my tastes. My talk radio interest is on SiriusXM and pretty much rests on shock jocks (Opie and Anthony, Howard Stern), and sport specific stations (NHL Home Ice, MLB, Nascar radio, ESPN radio, etc.). The state of terrestrial radio does very little for me across the spectrum.

Politically, I'm more into anything that grills sitting politicians. I want to hear someone hold each and every one of these guys accountable. Hearing someone who I agree with constantly tends to get boring, and hearing someone I disagree with constantly would just just p*** me off.

I used to listen to Curtis and Kuby when they were on the New York airwaves. You had a conservative guardian angel and a criminal defense/civil rights lawyer who freely admits to being a communist (who, at times, would defend the same bad guys that Sliwa tried keeping in jail), both having a long history of hating each other long before they entered a booth for a show. Sparks would fly nearly daily and it made for compelling radio at times. There's nothing like that anymore, CERTAINLY not Vince Coakley.

I guess my question to you is what did Coakley say that was so outrageous?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 PM

150 posts, read 323,396 times
As with Herman Cain, being that Vince Coakley is a black conservative, that automatically qualifies him as outrageous. There is no valid reason as to why the OP would make this claim, as you can see from the non-response to the question.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM

He is Black?

Again, comments with no substance or civility. I happen to like MiKe Steele very much on a personal level. Armstrong Williams too. I wouldn't label them as outrageous. I could name others like Rice, Powel, Watts.. but that isn't the point.

Brian, I'm not going to go through his archives to give examples but the most recent rants that pop into mind are 1) his commentary about Muslims and their culture/religon. 2) liberal politicians 3) the women that accused Cain of sexual harrassment. I think he is a loon. He replaced Servatius, Tara but they both are pretty out there. And yes, unless it is a topic having to do with "liberals/democrats/etc"... he is pretty soggy toastish.

Anyone that has too stoop to calling people names or making comments like "they hate this country" is outrageous. SN: I think Limbaugh is crafy like a fox and crosses the line because that means $$ in his pocket.

Anywho, I'll move on. No one has said that he seems reasonable or normal. Just comments about why he irks me. I'm guessing not many know who he is - or cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
As with Herman Cain, being that Vince Coakley is a black conservative, that automatically qualifies him as outrageous. There is no valid reason as to why the OP would make this claim, as you can see from the non-response to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte