Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 AM

116 posts, read 255,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by racewire20 View Post
I have read that there is talk of enforcing and ticketing for impeding traffic in the left lane.
I hope you're right, these people create accidents and don't even know it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 AM

116 posts, read 255,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Dude was riding my tail. It's dangerous to have someone on your bumper in case you have to brake, especially in a construction zone that tends to have random road hazards.
That's dangerous. What if I had to brake right then and there because of something up ahead and it caused an accident because he was following too close?
If you have to emergency break and someone hits you from behind, it is his fault - for not keeping a safe distance. Don't get intimidated by them, as long as you are not on the fast line and driving with max legal speed, you should have nothing to worry about it. Ignore them, if they want to pass you, they should use the faster line.
The officer was probably in a hurry to get out to the next exit and he should've not follow you that close. I think you have nothing to worry about tickets in this case.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,311 times
Straight from the NCDOT drivers handbook

Driving on Your Side of the Road
The law requires you to drive on the right side of
the road. Driving on the left side is legal only in
some cases, such as on one-way streets and while
passing. When you are moving slower than the
posted speed limit on a multi-lane highway,
drive in the extreme right lane unless you are
passing, turning left or avoiding an obstruction.
(I will concede and admit it did state that passing in the right on interstates was legal)

• When entering the interstate, use the

acceleration lane until your vehicle’s
speed matches that of the other
traffic and then merge safely;
• Keep to the right, use the left lane(s) for
passing;

The whole point is, if we all just worked together and stop being so possessive, our commute would be way easier. There seems to be some sort of animosity between total strangers these days. If someone is on a freeway alone, I couldn't care less what lane they drove in. Heck, they could do circles for all I care, but when the road is full of cars, we should work together. If you are in the passing (left lane) and you know a car is coming up on you, please move to the right. They will pass you and be on there way. If someone is entering a freeway, yes, move to the left and give them room. This is nothing more than common courtesy. Our roadways are not a competition.
One reason I believe this irritates me so bad is the time of day I deal with it. My commute is not in full on rush hour. There are a lot less cars on the road with much more room for consideration and still I deal with this aggressive, possessive behavior. It's obvious JERKISM!

Unfortunately, in Charlotte, commuting is necessity

Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM

58 posts, read 145,645 times
I watched a police car do this yesterday just south of concord mills on 85. A car was in the left lane riding the bumper of the car in front of him who was doing 65 or so. He tailgated the car for a mile or two, way too close. The car finally got the hint and moved over. 10 seconds later, up rushed a cruiser and he did the EXACT SAME THING to the guy for like a mile and a half, sitting on the tailgator's arse. The offendor slowed way down and got into the middle lane. The patrol car followed him over and stayed right on his bumper. Still no lights. After 30-40 more seconds, the cruiser flipped over to the passing lane and blew past him.

My wife and I watched the whole scene unfold in disbelief. The officer doled out some real time "eye for an eye" justice... no fun having a car ride your butt is it?!

We laughed and laughed the whole way to our destination.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeach99 View Post
I watched a police car do this yesterday just south of concord mills on 85. A car was in the left lane riding the bumper of the car in front of him who was doing 65 or so. He tailgated the car for a mile or two, way too close. The car finally got the hint and moved over. 10 seconds later, up rushed a cruiser and he did the EXACT SAME THING to the guy for like a mile and a half, sitting on the tailgator's arse. The offendor slowed way down and got into the middle lane. The patrol car followed him over and stayed right on his bumper. Still no lights. After 30-40 more seconds, the cruiser flipped over to the passing lane and blew past him.

My wife and I watched the whole scene unfold in disbelief. The officer doled out some real time "eye for an eye" justice... no fun having a car ride your butt is it?!

We laughed and laughed the whole way to our destination.
Funny, sure. Until antics like that injure or kill someone. It's one thing for some hole to be doing it, but when you're an officer of the law and safety is at issue, this "retributive justice" technique is definitely not protocol. It's actually kinda backwater. I'm going to have to start running a dashboard cam along that stretch of highway and file complaints against the cops if they keep doing this.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 AM

52 posts, read 62,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Funny, sure. Until antics like that injure or kill someone. It's one thing for some hole to be doing it, but when you're an officer of the law and safety is at issue, this "retributive justice" technique is definitely not protocol. It's actually kinda backwater. I'm going to have to start running a dashboard cam along that stretch of highway and file complaints against the cops if they keep doing this.
Really? You'd go out and buy equipment just for this purpose?

Eh... Whatever boosts the economy...!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrofoam View Post
Really? You'd go out and buy equipment just for this purpose?

Eh... Whatever boosts the economy...!
You may not realize that there's an entire hobby community out there where people film drives in HD, speed them up, and share them. Search any interstate around Charlotte on Youtube for example, and you'll find multiple instances of people having recorded each thoroughfare through our metro. These vids get plenty of views too.

Don't make assumptions that people don't already have this equipment. It's also extremely easy to jury rig as long as you have an SLR camera (which most people do have if they are serious about photography beyond basic point-n-shoot) that has video capabilities.

NC has had an increasing problem with cops acting like "cowboys" because they're bored and sacrificing safety because of it. There have been recent incidents with them engaging in high speed chases for minor infractions or suspicion of minor crimes that has resulted in innocent third parties getting injured or killed. The state is beginning to seriously look into police behavior on the road and this tailgating hilarity plays right into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte