U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 PM

533 posts, read 1,637,674 times

Advertisements

i think $10 an hour is reasonable even when the kids are sleeping. the sitter is giving up there friday/saturday (or whatever night) to be there for you and the kiddies.

for the OP, $12-15 an hour is excellent. i get $10/hour babysitting and i am a grad student and i worked in childcare centers for last 2 years. i made $10 on long island and it seemed to be the going rate here as well so my rates didn't change.

jmfnme, new teachers out of college are definitely making more than $10 an hour. they start out at $30,000 plus here in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:20 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,662,366 times
Default different rates down south!

The funny thing I was curious about the rates here but I was a nanny before and made $30.00 and hr. for three kids..it was awesome now I did take them everywhere..to and from school, did some grocery shopping, etc.

Back In Philly just for regular babysitting of an infant the going rate was around $20.00-18.00 an hr.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 AM

298 posts, read 477,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I justify the $10 by the fact that I have three children. When I use babysitters in the early evenings on weekends, I expect the babysitter to play with my children and keep them "busy". $10 seems like an awful lot when they're asleep and the sitter is just watching television, but it's difficult to say: "well, the rate is $10 per hour when they're awake and $6.75 when they're sleeping." That wouldn't be fair.
The sitter I used in NJ was fantastic. She played with my kids, read to the little guys, even brought board games or movies that they hadn't played or seen yet. On occasion, she would make dinner for them and clean up afterward. My kids would beg for us to go out so that she would babysit. She was worth every penny!
But, I agree $10 is NOT what my wage was when I was a babysitter...many moons ago...
$10 an hour for 3 kids makes complete sense. I was thinking of a sitter being paid $10 an hour for one child.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:52 AM

298 posts, read 477,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
i think $10 an hour is reasonable even when the kids are sleeping. the sitter is giving up there friday/saturday (or whatever night) to be there for you and the kiddies.

for the OP, $12-15 an hour is excellent. i get $10/hour babysitting and i am a grad student and i worked in childcare centers for last 2 years. i made $10 on long island and it seemed to be the going rate here as well so my rates didn't change.

jmfnme, new teachers out of college are definitely making more than $10 an hour. they start out at $30,000 plus here in NC.
Some states they start out as low as $16,000 a year, but the babysitting rates don't necessarily change, that's kind of where my train of thought was going.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:21 PM

53 posts, read 208,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown007 View Post
In Boston it's $10.00 + / hour for high school students... $12.00+/hr. for college and above.
$12+ an hour?? I'm definitely gonna be in the market for part time babysitting when I move next month!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:01 PM

30 posts, read 89,563 times
Default Crazy rates

So if a person gets a job making 16 per hour, hires a sitter for 10 per hour now the sitter is making more then she is since that brought her 16 down to 6 plus she pays taxes unlike the sitter?? Really doesnt make sense to go back to work then. If a teenager goes to a fast food restaurant to work they make less then 10 per hour and have to pay taxes on that plus they cant sit and text their friends while the kids are asleep at a restaurant. I am all for fair pay and the safety of my kids but when babysitting is paying more net since they dont pay taxes then alot of jobs 25,000 to 35000 then really that is absurd. These kids are going to be highly dissapointed when they graduate from college and start an entry level job.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,946 times
I am a first year teacher and I certainly make more than $10 an hour.

I worked as a nanny for years, and I always charged $10-$12 an hour. Is it really time to be cheap when you're trying to find someone who is going to care for your children? I play with the kids, read to them.. when I nannied full time, I took them to the park, the library, the Nature Museum... I feed them, bathe them, clothe them... and I always cleaned up after myself and the kids. If you want high-quality childcare, you have to shell out a little more. I think $12 for 3 kids is completely reasonable.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:48 PM

512 posts, read 912,068 times
Ask how much the parents can pay and go from there. Its a service where there is good amount of trust to be built before you can have excellent pricing in place. Try searching on the internet as well - your rates have to depend on how much effort is being put in making parents happy along with kids. Things that matter are for "repeat business" are - availability on short notice, some first aid experience, excellent references, additional work done etc. If you are baby sitting at home then charge less.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,337,631 times
We used a service recently and the rates were $9/hr for one child, then increase by $1 for each child, plus a $10 contract fee. If not using a service its about $10/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte