Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times

Advertisements

Its horrible everywhere right now, but Charlotte's economy is still significantly worse than the national average. Charlotte's metro unemployment is actually only a percent lower than Detroit's. There is a real problem here. I know there have been job announcements within the last couple of years but have these just not been enough to offset the continued layoffs at the banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,024 times
I don't have the data to prove it, but Charlotte has always fared much better than the rest of the country in rough economic times. I know a lot of people have had harder times, but you wouldn't know it when you are out and about. Jobs are here, people just have to swallow their pride sometime and do what is necessary.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its horrible everywhere right now, but Charlotte's economy is still significantly worse than the national average. Charlotte's metro unemployment is actually only a percent lower than Detroit's. There is a real problem here. I know there have been job announcements within the last couple of years but have these just not been enough to offset the continued layoffs at the banks?
I don't have the figures in front of me but feel these are accurate (and they can certainly be looked up). I believe on average Charlotte typically brought in around 17,500 new jobs a year (this was probably for years around 2003-2006/7).

I wonder if the entire state has brought in 17,500 jobs this year? Maybe we have gotten many more than that for the entire state, but I am betting we haven't gotten many thousand more.

So even tho I don't have figures at my fingertips, it would be easy enough to check all this out and do a comparison as to the net job gain in NC overall and in Charlotte, in particular . . . and break it all down and compare it to the job gain figures in earlier years. Then look at figures on inmigration and net population gain . . . and the picture would become very clear as to why our unemployment remains about 10.4% (I think that was Oct's figure - or maybe it was 10.7%)

As far as jobs being available all over the place and folks just not applying for them . . . that is hooey. There may be certain types of jobs that are going unfilled but I am not seeing them. There may be some folks who are preferring to stay on UE checks rather than taking a low paying job, but most folks are willing to take any job in their field, even with pay lower than what they were making back in 2007/8.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 PM

763 posts, read 821,295 times
Quote:
Detroit's unemployment rate is 28 percent. That is much worse than here. I don't think that the banks are laying off employees as they were in the past. What I see as evidence a bad economic situation here is the number of empty shops in strip malls that were previously occupied. It is really evident up here in Cornelius. The small business person is really hurting. If Obama had used money sensibly, he could have possibly saved many of these closings. Instead, he wasted billions on idiotic programs like cash for clunkers, etc. If he had used this money as loans for small businesses that don't qualify for small business loans which were set aside for ethnic and gender based businesses, the situation would likely be better. If he would even use the billions that he plans to give to Brazil for off shore drilling, it would be beneficial. Mindless people in charge doesn't help matters.

The only gleam of hope I see with Obama is that he obviously loves Mayor Fox. Therefore, we may have an advantage in programs to jump start the city with rail service, etc., of course , this is at the expense of people in other places that work hard and pays taxes. But, that works for me.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:45 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Detroit's unemployment rate is 28 percent. That is much worse than here. I don't think that the banks are laying off employees as they were in the past. What I see as evidence a bad economic situation here is the number of empty shops in strip malls that were previously occupied. It is really evident up here in Cornelius. The small business person is really hurting. If Obama had used money sensibly, he could have possibly saved many of these closings. Instead, he wasted billions on idiotic programs like cash for clunkers, etc. If he had used this money as loans for small businesses that don't qualify for small business loans which were set aside for ethnic and gender based businesses, the situation would likely be better. If he would even use the billions that he plans to give to Brazil for off shore drilling, it would be beneficial. Mindless people in charge doesn't help matters.

The only gleam of hope I see with Obama is that he obviously loves Mayor Fox. Therefore, we may have an advantage in programs to jump start the city with rail service, etc., of course , this is at the expense of people in other places that work hard and pays taxes. But, that works for me.
Let's not make this overly political. Because banking is so big in Charlotte, the city was going to take it on the chin in a big way regardless.

The job announcements are good, but the jobs take a few years to materialize and that doesn't happen all at once. Charlotte will just have to keep doing what it's doing and be patient.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,515 times
I suspect Charlotte is still seeing many people moving here, have to wonder how many are coming without jobs, areas like Detroit amnd many cities up north are losing population, I'd think this would effect unemployment rates favorably in those areas.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,747,743 times
Quote:
Only a percentage point? You obviously don't understand how big of a difference that is.

Here's a nice study on recent job growth among metro areas. Charlotte ranks 30th out of 65.

Study: Large Cities Rankings - 2011 Best Cities for Job Growth | Newgeography.com

Methodology: 2011 How We Pick the Best Cities For Job Growth | Newgeography.com

Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM

[quote=Mutiny77;21966629]Let's not make this overly political. Because banking is so big in Charlotte, the city was going to take it on the chin in a big way regardless.

The job announcements are good, but the jobs take a few years to materialize and that doesn't happen all at once. Charlotte will just have to keep doing what it's doing and be patient.[/Iquote]

I am certainly seeing "change we can believe in".

I don't understand what you mean when you say, "job announcements are good, but the jobs take a few years to materialize and that doesn't happen at once."

Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I suspect Charlotte is still seeing many people moving here, have to wonder how many are coming without jobs, areas like Detroit amnd many cities up north are losing population, I'd think this would effect unemployment rates favorably in those areas.
and you are right. I have run into many people from Detroit up here on the Lake.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 PM

373 posts, read 709,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
and you are right. I have run into many people from Detroit up here on the Lake.
They are moving here all right.and all wanting jobs.....Charlotte being well known as a haven for thousands and thousands of illegal undocumented workers hasnt helped either..And ant no body going to do a thing about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte