U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:00 PM

182 posts, read 748,472 times

Advertisements

Good news- I was offered a job today
Bad news- 29% paycut!!
I have to say I was suprised to say the least. I expected around 15% less but in an industry I have nearly 20 years experience in..yikes!
I was prepared to come here without a job and I'm here by my choice but I'm not sure what to do.
Can someone explain to me what to expect in the form of state taxes and at what rate to be deducted from my pay check?
One expense I already not changing is child care, so I have alot to consider but basically I'm going back 10 years in pay scale!
Thanks everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM

348 posts, read 317,718 times
Take the job! At least it will give you something to hold onto while you look for a job that may pay more. Or you may find that 29% less is the going rate.

Good Luck!

Moderator cut: Signature violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-04-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM

673 posts, read 2,434,159 times
My husband took a huge paycut too with 22 years experience in his job. I still don't know how the state taxes will impact us. I guess we'll figure that out when we file our first return. Don't assume the child care expense is not changing. I guess it depends on where you are coming from, but I think childcare is very expensive here. I wasn't counting on spending as much as we are. My advice though woud be to take the job if you are coming here no matter what. I have heard too many horror stories about people not finding work for months.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,269,503 times
I was offered a 25% raise and they want to cut my wifes pay about 10%. So I guess it all evens out one way or another.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 PM

928 posts, read 3,530,444 times
A pay cut is better then no job, so your 71% ahead of the game. On the bright side that would be less income taxes you'd have to pay because your making less money.

I'd take the job and keep looking for something else after you get here. This way you could still post within that company and maintain your job contacts. Good Luck and welcome to Charlotte.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,060 times
So, you're moving here from California and you're disappointed with the pay?
What were you paying for housing in California? and taxes?
Why did you move? Weigh the odds and decide if it's worth it. If not...move back.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
DH took a 33% pay cut
I took a 50% pay cut

Housing IS less, but many other expenses are the same. Groceries are not less unless you start clipping coupons. Child care expenses are the same as CA. Private school isn't any cheaper than LA private schools. Gas isn't much cheaper and retail cost of cars, clothing and such is the same.

So, weigh everything out.

I moved from Pasadena if you have any questions.

Dawn

Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,863,258 times
Do you regret moving

Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM

462 posts, read 1,684,595 times
My first day here I was offered a job and I too took a pay cut, but I took the job simply for the fact that a pay cut is better than freaking out about not having a job or any income. Plus my job from NY has been sending me work to see how it works out and if they get more comfortable with the situation they said they would consider putting me back on salary and let me work from home here in NC. Plus I am a true believer in "It is easier to find a job when you have a job." Just look at it this way, at least you will have some income coming in while you continue your job search. I did find out that the rate I am being paid is above average which has me a little baffled but I also have to look at it as everything is relative. The house we are in now would have cost me 3 times more and my taxes would have been nearly 4 times more if not more back in NY. So when I look at the overall picture I am ahead of the game. Plus I am hoping that my job from NY follows through and if I am lucky enough to go further in the hiring process for the Fire Dept here than life would be as good as it gets because I could do my shifts for the FD and keep my work at home.
Good luck and take the job!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:18 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
Do you own a home in CA?

If you don't own and you really won't have much prosptect to own in CA then I would certainly move.

If you do own and you will have equity, you will be in really good shape here in the Charlotte area.

Have you visited? I would take a good long trip out here, get a realtor, look around, and see what you think.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or