Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM

174 posts, read 486,064 times

Advertisements

Grout Doctor... Grout Medic... Grout Smith...Mister Grout... NC Grout Repair...

It's like a hospital for grout! (Not "gout," grout!)

Anyone have any feedback on any of these grout cleaning and repair services? I'd like to know.

As an interim step between a full-on HGTV renovation of our bathroom, we're figuring a little grout TLC (better trademark the name!) will get us thru another year or so. Grout, caulk... The whole thing needs a facelift.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,239 times
Grout Medic did are grout lines about 3 years ago, they did a great job, floor was only 3 years old when we had it done ( biulder did a crappy job ) still looks good. Took about two days.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
We did ours ourselves. We got 2 estimates and they were so darned expensive, we just decided to read up, watch youtube vids and figure it out - it worked! Worth the effort to save the money!

Maybe prices have come down but just for a small bathroom it was nearly $1000 - and we had expected it to be more like - $350.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
we did ours ourselves. We got 2 estimates and they were so darned expensive, we just decided to read up, watch youtube vids and figure it out - it worked! Worth the effort to save the money!.....
boom-shack-a-lack-a!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 03:41 PM

174 posts, read 486,064 times
Quote:
we just decided to read up, watch youtube vids and figure it out - it worked!
I'm very tempted to do the exact same thing. Grab a cheap grout grinder at Harbor Freight and DIY... I'll give this thread a while, see what develops, and then make a decision. I certainly don't think this is a $1000 job at all.

Thanks for the push in that direction.

MC

Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfortune View Post
I'm very tempted to do the exact same thing. Grab a cheap grout grinder at Harbor Freight and DIY... I'll give this thread a while, see what develops, and then make a decision. I certainly don't think this is a $1000 job at all.

Thanks for the push in that direction.

MC
The DIY is worth checking out. It isn't difficult to do - just get the right equipment and products.

However, please don't take my word for it on the estimate for repairs. Call some folks and have them do estimates for you. We inquired about our repairs around 2005, I believe, at the height of the housing boom here in Charlotte. At that time, everyone was charging a premium for any sort of work, b/c people were moving in here and didn't realize that costs for such things have always been traditionally lower here than in the "big cities."

A lot of these companies were start ups or relocations or expansions, w/ folks coming here to "cash in" on the housing and renovation boom. I was constantly astonished how much folks felt they could charge for stuff - b/c they were getting those prices from newcomers who didn't have a clue.

For example, I came from an area where housekeepers (good ones!) were getting $12.50 to $15 an hour. I got here and dear lord - folks were charging $35 an hour - and had a list of stuff they would only do for an upcharge (change bed - additional $5 Dust ceiling fans - additional $8) Talk about absurd - this is unskilled labor! And $35/hr translates to $70K a year - you gotta be kidding me.

Anyway, I have noticed since 2008, prices have gotten a bit more reasonable - I can get an electrician in for a bit less than 6 years ago . . . so do get estimates! You may find having someone to do it - get in and out - is much more reasonable than when I priced my job.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM

321 posts, read 879,992 times
and speaking of grout....did any of you have your grout sealed initially? We're building our house and sealing the grout is not included (!) Our builder has offered to do it (on the side) for us....kitchen and two bathrooms for $160.00 (one coat of sealer).

Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,771 times
alright here is my opinion ..
do your own grout, buy the removal tool and do it right while it takes work, it is an inexpensive thing to do. Mixing the new grout etc and caulking is also imo easy. It is not worth $1000 that's for sure.

and coastalnc As for grout sealing just buy the sealer, it can last 5 years dependinhg on type of area you are using, it's easy to apply and wipe off the tile, then just leave it for a few hours to absorb in properly and your done, not sure that it's worth the extra money again that job is super easy. As for one coat - all the grout sealers use different polymers to seal none lasts as long as they claim really, and all can be done in one coat. You could buy bottle and bottles of sealer (cases even) for %160.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

385 posts, read 890,112 times
If the grout is intact, but just discolored you can use a product like Grout Renew or Grout Restore (in Lowes/Home Depot). I did it on some 4" ceramic tiles with 1/16" grout lines that was about 30 years old with really good results. The product cost about $10-$12/bottle and i did the whole shower surround in about 2 1/2 hrs.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
and speaking of grout....did any of you have your grout sealed initially? We're building our house and sealing the grout is not included (!) Our builder has offered to do it (on the side) for us....kitchen and two bathrooms for $160.00 (one coat of sealer).
Go to Lowe's and get the sealer. All it takes is "mopping" it over the surface, then wiping off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte