U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times

Advertisements

Ribbon cutting is today, in about 45 minutes...

7th Street Public Market | Celebrating the food culture of the Carolinas and promoting local and regional farmers, food artisans, and entrepreneurs.

I guess this is some kind of Farmer's Market type deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,730,905 times
I walked by there early this morning, and it doesn't look like there's too much for sale there yet. Lots of shelves and display cases were still empty. Since there's supposed to be an emphasis on locally grown produce, perhaps December isn't really the best time to showcase the Market.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I walked by there early this morning, and it doesn't look like there's too much for sale there yet. Lots of shelves and display cases were still empty. Since there's supposed to be an emphasis on locally grown produce, perhaps December isn't really the best time to showcase the Market.
That is what I was wondering.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,535 times
It's a *little* frustrating, because the Atherton Market opened, set their intention to be a year-round local market, then the city jumped in with support for the 7th Street Market. It would seem like they'd want to support and promote something that was already on its way to being established. I'd like to believe that the more local sources and options, the better, but I'm wondering if the two won't just hurt the success of each other. Maybe SouthEnd, where Atherton is, wasn't "Center City" enough.

I would love to see something like this thrive here. I think I've posted about this before, but every year when we go to an anime convention in Columbus, OH, we make a point of going to The North Market. That's in January! But they have enough local producers, restaurants, artisans, etc. to make it work.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

763 posts, read 644,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
It's a *little* frustrating, because the Atherton Market opened, set their intention to be a year-round local market, then the city jumped in with support for the 7th Street Market. It would seem like they'd want to support and promote something that was already on its way to being established. I'd like to believe that the more local sources and options, the better, but I'm wondering if the two won't just hurt the success of each other. Maybe SouthEnd, where Atherton is, wasn't "Center City" enough.

I would love to see something like this thrive here. I think I've posted about this before, but every year when we go to an anime convention in Columbus, OH, we make a point of going to The North Market. That's in January! But they have enough local producers, restaurants, artisans, etc. to make it work.
As a former Columbus resident, I don't believe that they have more of the aforementioned venues than Charlotte. It is a matter of location, location. The North Market is close to OSU and the restaurant section between the market and the University. That is likely a huge advantage since it is walkable for thousands of students.

On the other hand, the 7th St. Market isn't a convenient place to pop in and buy produce for dinner. It is generally out of the way and has a potential parking issue. I believe that the amount of business they do will depend on whether they live uptown or not and whether Harris Teeter in 4th Ward outprices them. I hope that there are some good lunch posibilities or other special features to draw a crowd. However, it would be convenient for those on the rail to go there shopping but not during rush hour. I will check it out this weekend and hope it is worth an occasional trip. As it is, I have found my best deals on produce and many other food goods at the Asian market on Independence.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
On the other hand, the 7th St. Market isn't a convenient place to pop in and buy produce for dinner. It is generally out of the way and has a potential parking issue.
This is why I never went there when it was Reid's. Too much of a PITA to park.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,126,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. Any produce is going to be from somewhere else - maybe even another country. What's the point of that? I do wish it success, when local stuff is in season.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:16 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,745,626 times
It's good that the Atherton & 7th St Markets are on the light rail line. Good for those living in that vicinity anyway.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
As a former Columbus resident, I don't believe that they have more of the aforementioned venues than Charlotte. It is a matter of location, location. The North Market is close to OSU and the restaurant section between the market and the University. That is likely a huge advantage since it is walkable for thousands of students.

On the other hand, the 7th St. Market isn't a convenient place to pop in and buy produce for dinner. It is generally out of the way and has a potential parking issue. I believe that the amount of business they do will depend on whether they live uptown or not and whether Harris Teeter in 4th Ward outprices them. I hope that there are some good lunch posibilities or other special features to draw a crowd. However, it would be convenient for those on the rail to go there shopping but not during rush hour. I will check it out this weekend and hope it is worth an occasional trip. As it is, I have found my best deals on produce and many other food goods at the Asian market on Independence.
The North Market is actually close to an hour walk from OSU; I only know that because my son met some online friends from OSU there and I had to drive him to where they met. The Market IS right by lots of other restaurants, and the convention center. I agree location determines a lot!

There's lots of parking in the 7th Street Center; if the 7th Street Market offers free parking, that could be a draw itself.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM

189 posts, read 285,964 times
The market will allow free parking for 90 minutes as long as you have your ticket validated. I look forward to walking out of my apartment, onto the Lynx and do my grocery shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or