U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:11 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,053,479 times

Advertisements

[quote=movedtothecoast;22057148]I was referring to your grammar and sentence structure in your first and now your second post.
that's why I was hoping you were not an english teacher.

we are on the same page as far as parents setting a good example,
a lot of parents do not but is it really any different than years ago?

teachers can set the tone in their classroom and it will make a difference.

in regards to teachers being a product of their own schooling I don't
really know how I can make that more comprehensible for you.
they went thru a bad elementary/middle/high school and
now they are teaching our kids.

It really comes down to having to handle less kids at a time bu
that change won't come until teachers and parents demand it.[/

The last thing I am thinking about is perfect sentence structure and if you want it, I can make sure you have it next time. I did not know I was being graded in this forum. Too much time on your hands eh. Your other comment still does not make sense and I see no connecttion. Maybe someone else can enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 AM

3,455 posts, read 3,138,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I was referring to your grammar and sentence structure in your first and now your second post.
that's why I was hoping you were not an english teacher.

we are on the same page as far as parents setting a good example,
a lot of parents do not but is it really any different than years ago?

teachers can set the tone in their classroom and it will make a difference.

in regards to teachers being a product of their own schooling I don't
really know how I can make that more comprehensible for you.
they went thru a bad elementary/middle/high school and
now they are teaching our kids.

It really comes down to having to handle less kids at a time but
that change won't come until teachers and parents demand it.
Question: have you ever been a high school or lower grade teacher? If so please clarify, not a sub but for a year or so? Teachers consistently receive a fair amount of training regarding classroom management, lesson planning and disciplinary protocol. As with any profession, it'll take a few years to master classroom management and subject matter, gain respect of students and develop reasonable expectations of curriculum content coverage that can be achieved within a quarter/semester/year.

I think most teachers do a tremendous job and the system (or pressure) generally weeds out those that can't handle the job within a few years. I considered myself a pretty good teacher, got greedy when a headhunter called me with an opportunity to double my salary. If teacher's salaries were higher, the caliber of teacher would increase signficantly (not to diminish the competence of those in-place now). But we all know better things in life cost more money (ie, private school).

Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM

1,927 posts, read 2,623,234 times
now, now , I made the grammar comment in jest.
always good to have a sense of humor, I thought it was
humorous since this thread is about students that can't spell.

I voluntereed for 18 years in CMS,
anything from PTA to classroom assistance.

It was easy to spot the teachers that somehow managed
to be interesting and captivate their students, those teachers
always had a calm and orderly classroom.
why those same students ,when entering a different
teachers classroom, turned into helions must also
have something to do with that teacher .
can't just be put onto bad parents.

anyway , this is just spinning around and around
so I will leave it at that.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:

So you've been a co-pilot but never had to land the plane. Most seasoned teachers have well managed classrooms. Again, teachers with 0-5 years of experience usually have the type of issues you describe. Some never really gain control of the situation (or implement prescribed training methods) and usually part ways with the school system.

People have different personalities and not everyone has an authoritative-side that one needs to project in order to control the classroom. Overall, public education is in good shape but determining how this society (america) can encourage more students to pursue math and science related careers is puzzling; engineers, scientists, etc are in high demand, yet the number of students entering these fields is dwindling.

When I first saw your post, I instantly thought of Robert Frost or Edgar Allen Poe (paragraph format).

Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,053,479 times
Quote:

The humor was lost on me.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
Folks have drifted off the topic and some seem to feel that the scores mentioned in the original post are just fine and dandy.

So . . . no use discussing it further.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Folks have drifted off the topic and some seem to feel that the scores mentioned in the original post are just fine and dandy.

So . . . no use discussing it further.
Not really, but the problem is extremely complex, rooted in many cultural and racial inequities compounded through generational oppression. I'm not playing the race card, it is what is. The school adminstrators and teachers realize this, they work hard with what resources they have , as I did in one of the more urban schools in NC. But when a whole slate of people are economically challenged, it ain't an easy fix. Some parent(s) are working 2 jobs, many single family homes, drug and alcohol dependence. I had frank discussion with students and realized finding something to eat everyday ranks above homework. It's not exclusively an urban issue because rural poor communities exhibit similar problems.

I'm beating a dead horse, we all know the problem and until there is equality in the economic playing field, these issue will persist. With all that, I applaud the job many administrators and teachers are doing, unsung heros...really.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
By famous, you are probably referring to basketball or football star. Not many out there these days aspire to become a rocket scientist or even a fighter pilot like in the old days. The attitude of many today is, "Why should I study, I am going to be a professional basketball player."

I meant anything that gets you on TV. Reality TV star, rapper, singer, actor, etc. Entertainment is our biggest export.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not really, but the problem is extremely complex, rooted in many cultural and racial inequities compounded through generational oppression. I'm not playing the race card, it is what is. The school adminstrators and teachers realize this, they work hard with what resources they have , as I did in one of the more urban schools in NC. But when a whole slate of people are economically challenged, it ain't an easy fix. Some parent(s) are working 2 jobs, many single family homes, drug and alcohol dependence. I had frank discussion with students and realized finding something to eat everyday ranks above homework. It's not exclusively an urban issue because rural poor communities exhibit similar problems.

I'm beating a dead horse, we all know the problem and until there is equality in the economic playing field, these issue will persist. With all that, I applaud the job many administrators and teachers are doing, unsung heros...really.
Great post. I used to teach art classes in south Philly and also taught computer classes in rural Kentucky. I had some really talented kids who challanged me to be a better instructor. One of my students went to a private school and it was obvious his education level was above the other students.

There were 3 boys who were real tight. 2 of them had both parents in the household and one was from a single parent. The kid with one parent had a much harder time in school. He was a good kid but it was obvious he had more issues and challanges than the other 2. I was also surprised to find out the kids in public school weren't allowed to take their books home.

If most of these kids were allowed to be kids instead of having to take on adult responsibilities I think they would be more successful in school.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM

763 posts, read 645,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not really, but the problem is extremely complex, rooted in many cultural and racial inequities compounded through generational oppression. .
Unlike those poor Asians and Jews.

Last edited by Stella Artois; 12-11-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte