U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM

763 posts, read 644,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Your story is yours... I have mine and everyone else has theirs as well. If someone has taught in the inner city or rural kentucky they can give first hand knowledge on what they witnessed. I sat in a town hall meeting in Eastern Kentucky and heard the Governor tell a room full of white people they got on welfare and got comfortable and no one stood up and said it was a lie.

It's not crap, it's life and no 2 are the same.

How many poor white kids have you taught? How many poor white kids did you live around or grow up with?

White kids are poor but don't have a victim mentality? Gimme a break.... ALL races have people who play the victim card.

Please don't take this wrong, but do you live in a cage or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Your story is yours... I have mine and everyone else has theirs as well. If someone has taught in the inner city or rural kentucky they can give first hand knowledge on what they witnessed. I sat in a town hall meeting in Eastern Kentucky and heard the Governor tell a room full of white people they got on welfare and got comfortable and no one stood up and said it was a lie.

It's not crap, it's life and no 2 are the same.

How many poor white kids have you taught? How many poor white kids did you live around or grow up with?

White kids are poor but don't have a victim mentality? Gimme a break.... ALL races have people who play the victim card.
I don't think we are arguing. Seems like we are saying the same thing. However, the politics of grievance is a black phenomenon. Poor white folks are labeled trash and given no excuses except they simply don't give a sh#t. Even they don't try to pretend it is something other than what it is. They have made a culture out of the trashiness. Let's just be honest here.

But you got a different situation in the hood. Everyone accepts that lazy trashy white folks made their messes - TOUGH! But with black folks, it isn't their fault. They haven't had equal opportunity. They are at risk.

Tell me it isn't so.

Oh. And as far as teaching. I taught in county schools in two counties - where folks qualified for free lunches but the parents were too proud to take the gubment $$$. And kids couldn't participate in sports b/c they couldn't afford sneakers (thus, they couldn't get on the basketball courts except in socks).

So please. I done seen my share of misery, black and white. And the parents who gave a rat's ass managed to see to it that their kids did their homework and showed up for class. And the ones that didn't . . . their kids failed.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM

11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Please don't take this wrong, but do you live in a cage or something?
just a matter of time...

I won't put you in your place because you'll run to the mods and ask for this thread to be deleted.

You're one of those typical bitter little boys... LOL.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 12-12-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think we are arguing. Seems like we are saying the same thing. However, the politics of grievance is a black phenomenon. Poor white folks are labeled trash and given no excuses except they simply don't give a sh#t. Even they don't try to pretend it is something other than what it is. They have made a culture out of the trashiness. Let's just be honest here.

But you got a different situation in the hood. Everyone accepts that lazy trashy white folks made their messes - TOUGH! But with black folks, it isn't their fault. They haven't had equal opportunity. They are at risk.

Tell me it isn't so.
It isn't so...

some whites make excuses, some blacks make excuses....

I find it a little odd that you are giving poor whites credit for their trashiness or poor situation. I've never met a poor white person who accepts full responsibility for their situation. It's the disability, affirmative action, reverse racism...

oh, and hip hop culture is a multi billion dollar industry.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
It isn't so...

some whites make excuses, some blacks make excuses....

I find it a little odd that you are giving poor whites credit for their trashiness or poor situation. I've never met a poor white person who accepts full responsibility for their situation. It's the disability, affirmative action, reverse racism...

oh, and hip hop culture is a multi billion dollar industry.
LOL.

I enjoy discourse with you so much, Felt.

So . . . are we to agree that everyone has an excuse? Hmmmm.

Why do people need excuses to explain that they aren't doing even the basics (send kids to school; make sure they do their homework; make sure they don't have weapons; make sure they aren't snorting coke, etc). Why do so many people (forget race) feel they need to have an excuse rather than have a life plan?

Yes, hip hop culture is a multi billion dollar industry, but that doesn't mean 1% of the people who are emulating those artists have a shot at fame and fortune . . . pretty slim odds to base your life plan on.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Why do so many people (forget race) feel they need to have an excuse rather than have a life plan?
Snooki and Kim Kardashian

Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Snooki and Kim Kardashian
SIGH. SO pop culture is the problem.

Maybe Snooki and Kim ought to be teaching school, then, if those are the only role models kids care about.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
SIGH. SO pop culture is the problem.

Maybe Snooki and Kim ought to be teaching school, then, if those are the only role models kids care about.
it's not THE problem... it's ONE of the problems why some kids think they can get through life without a plan. It's much easier to have a life plan when you have role models or peers who are showing you what a life plan can get you.

I don't believe in absolutes where every kid who fails is a bum and his parents are lazy no good leaches.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
it's not THE problem... it's ONE of the problems why some kids think they can get through life without a plan. It's much easier to have a life plan when you have role models or peers who are showing you what a life plan can get you.

I don't believe in absolutes where every kid who fails is a bum and his parents are lazy no good leaches.
I don't, either. I made some suggestions earlier in the thread but it seemed the conversation was turning to simply assigning blame.

There are real issues . . . but it seems to be easier to just point fingers and throw federal dollars at the education cause of the day - whatever it may be at any given point in time. Of course there are innovators out there!

But the sad truth is . . . these are not scores to feel good about. It seems no cause to celebrate. And until the majority of parents take responsibility, and the majority of kids are in school b/c they really want to succeed in life . . . seems we are a nation satisfied with mediocrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte