Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
does the class you envision sound something like:
Personal Finance BI ( C ISE # 0 62C Grades: 9-12
This course is designed to increase financial literacy among high school students and prepare them to be successful managers of their personal, family and environmental resources.

They can also choose mechanics, early childhood certification, EMT, nurse's aid, agricultural, horticulture, equine science, computer certification, cosmetology.... even parenting. I'm not sure how that's NOT like a community college as far as choices.[/SIZE]
http://webcp.ucps.k12.nc.us/forms_ma...eb_Version.pdf

But mandatory.... no, thanks. Some kids would rather take AP Calculus and a third language, and they should be allowed to do so. Those same kids usually have no difficulties reading the instructions to a 1040-ez.
No, that doesn't sound at all like what I was proposing.

And we are discussing low performing kids . . . not the kids taking calculus.

Speaking of reading . . . you did read the OP post, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 03:35 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I say this with a hint of humor,

hopefully you are not an english teacher!

while I did not mean to lump all teachers together as bad
they do have a choice to stand together and demand
better conditions for teaching.
sometimes it seems that teachers push the responsebility over
on parents instead of dealing with the kids.

many of these younger teachers are themselves a product of
poor schools, how can they possibly be better ?

I am a firm believer in small class sizes,
putting 32 kids into a crowded room
is not a recipe for success.

again, teachers should band together with parents
and demand changes to the system.

Nope, science and I love what I do.(Not sure why the comment but oh well). You keep saying a product of poor schools, are you referring to colleges. You have to go to college to be a teacher. I prefer smaller classes, agree on that point. If I call a parent to discuss behavior and other points I expect for them to help on their end. My son who has be taught respect, knows better than to act up in school and I have never had a problem with him. Where did he get his values, from me his parent. I, as a parent have a responsibility for my child and if there was or is a problem in school I would want to know so that I could nip it early on. It is my job to make sure that my child does not disrupt the learning experience for himself or others and I expect the same from parents. Not to much to ask for. I also expect for them to be the best parent possible and do what is needed for their child to succeed, what ever that may translate to. So I am not putting any responsiblity on to the parents, just getting them to do their jobs as parents.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM

WHen I visited Thailand ten years ago and my husbands family found out that I was a teacher, one would have taught I told them that I was a doctor or rocket scientist. When I visited a temple some local students visiting also found out I was a teacher and came over to me all excited. I felt like a star for a while. There is so much respect for teachers there. I even had buddhist monks that are usually held in high reagrd by their followers bestow the title of Ajan (teacher(on me). My point is in some places teachers are truly repsected.
On the another note we need more schools with vocational programs. I spoke to a kid today who has missed so many days already. I asked him what he was interested in and he said auto mechanics but we do not have such a program. (He also said he hated school) I believe that if kids had these options along with taking the basic classes (math and english) needed and had to pass the classes to stay in the program we would have so much more success. They would have more of an incentive because in the end they would get the education path that they would prefer.
I am just saying...

Old 12-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
This plan is pretty much already in effect. Kids get assessed in middle school, and the top ones are placed in advanced classes, on track to take Algebra I in either 7th or 8th, they start getting highschool credits in 8th. The rest are on a normal track, some remedial. Once in highschool they DO have vocational tracts, instead of college tracks, but it is by choice, not assesment (which I think it should be). I don't know why kids are pressured to go to college and burden themselves with all that expense instead of finding a vocation that suits them. It still lies on the parent to do what is right for their child, whether that be pushing them academically or guiding them to a vocation. They DO have household management, childcare, basic finance classes, cooking classes in highschool for kids to take. The question is.... WHY AREN'T THEY?? Is the issue that society is so keen on keeping up with the Jonses that parents don't find this route acceptable?

Then they go to college, change majors five times, and become professional students.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Too bad teachers can't say "If you aren't gonna be serious about learning, get the hell outta my classroom."

Maybe if education were a privilege instead of being mandatory, it might be something parents and children saw as worth working hard for instead of sliding through.

Here's my plan: kids all start out on one track. The ones that can't keep up, get put on a remedial track. By the 7th grade, an assessment is done and all those who are college material go on the college track and those who are not, go on the vocational track.

We have to quit proselytizing that everyone needs a college degree, b/c everyone does not. And we need a mandatory class on household management, finances, taxes and investments during high school. We need to get back to basics in elementary school. Drill, drill, drill on math. Spelling, grammar and reading should be facilitated by computer programs.

We are in a mess in this country, mostly b/c everyone is too concerned w/ meeting budgets for bigger and better than just teaching the kids. I would prefer my children be in trailers or old school buildings and receive good instruction than be in new schools and get half-assed instruction f/ teachers who get no respect b/c out of control, apathetic kids know they will suffer no consequences for underperformance and inappropriate behavior.
My post was inspired by your comment regarding education as a privilege. Our society needs to study and reflect on days gone by when only the wealthy could afford private tutors and higher education for their children. I believe it was Horace Mann who is credited with being the father of public education who saw the need for all citizens of a republic to be educated regardless of their socio-economic status. I feel that more and more people take public education for granted; many do not appreciate the opportunity. It is very sad. Then there's the blaming the schools.....

I'm not sure that I agree totally with your determination for sending some on the college track and others on the vocational track, but I know that everyone needs a marketable skill in order to procure employment. Vocational courses are applied academics that require intelligence and a certain level of interest in a hands-on profession. Kids are tested in 7th grade to determine who will take Algebra in 8th grade rather than waiting until 9th grade. That is the only part of a college track determined prior to high school enrollment.

Have you noticed how high schools like to report the percent of high school seniors who go to college but they don't seem to want to talk about the 75% (more or less) who enter a 4 yr college who do not finish a 4 yr degree.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Standardized tests measure comprehension. That is one of the most important factors in obtaining an education. Fortunately, standardized tests have been modified over the last five to ten years. Today the test don't only require a multiple choice answer, they generally require a logical explanation of why the answer was chosen.

Throughout life, one's ability to listen and/or comprehend instructions will determine success. If nothing else, standardized tests show ones ability to do just that. One can't past tests today through rote memorization by itself. One must be able to understand concepts.

If one has parents and friends that don't care about education and feel secure that the government will support them for life, there won't be much motivation. It is not the school boards fault.
I agree with you that comprehension is essential; however, what tests are you talking about that "don't only require a multiple choice answer, they generally require a logical explanation"? I am unaware of a standardized test (over the last 20+ years) that was anything but multiple choice. If one existed that required a "logical explanation," who would grade them all and how long would it take to grade them? Consider this: Standardized tests can be viewed as multiple guess.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 12-09-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, that doesn't sound at all like what I was proposing.

And we are discussing low performing kids . . . not the kids taking calculus.

Speaking of reading . . . you did read the OP post, right?
Yes, I think I read the OP post as I wrote it, but often things go off topic, and to me, "mandatory" means all the kids.

That class does teach the basic skills you were referring to, home loans, auto loans, tax returns, bills, budget, etc. I do agree with you that low performing kids should have to take that, since they have to take 4 years of math, that can count as one.

I'm obviously not understanding what you are proposing, the only difference I see is that you want to assign the tracts by assesment rather than by choice, with which I don't necessarily disagree..... because obviously parents aren't helping these kids making informed decisions.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
does the class you envision sound something like:
Personal Finance BI ( C ISE # 0 62C Grades: 9-12
This course is designed to increase financial literacy among high school students and prepare them to be successful managers of their personal, family and environmental resources.

They can also choose mechanics, early childhood certification, EMT, nurse's aid, agricultural, horticulture, equine science, computer certification, cosmetology.... even parenting. I'm not sure how that's NOT like a community college as far as choices.[/SIZE]
http://webcp.ucps.k12.nc.us/forms_ma...eb_Version.pdf

But mandatory.... no, thanks. Some kids would rather take AP Calculus and a third language, and they should be allowed to do so. Those same kids usually have no difficulties reading the instructions to a 1040-ez.
As I stated in an earlier post, these classes are available, most kids are doing ok. Other than more parent involvement not sure what teachers or school admins can do...?? walk 'em to school? But the opportunities are there, no excuse.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
WHen I visited Thailand ten years ago and my husbands family found out that I was a teacher, one would have taught I told them that I was a doctor or rocket scientist. When I visited a temple some local students visiting also found out I was a teacher and came over to me all excited. I felt like a star for a while. There is so much respect for teachers there. I even had buddhist monks that are usually held in high reagrd by their followers bestow the title of Ajan (teacher(on me). My point is in some places teachers are truly repsected.
On the another note we need more schools with vocational programs. I spoke to a kid today who has missed so many days already. I asked him what he was interested in and he said auto mechanics but we do not have such a program. (He also said he hated school) I believe that if kids had these options along with taking the basic classes (math and english) needed and had to pass the classes to stay in the program we would have so much more success. They would have more of an incentive because in the end they would get the education path that they would prefer.
I am just saying...
After he graduates, he can work as auto mechanic for the next 40 years...even after school or on weekends. Kids just don't wanna go to school, most not till 5 years after graduation and the real-world takes hold.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Nope, science and I love what I do.(Not sure why the comment but oh well). You keep saying a product of poor schools, are you referring to colleges. You have to go to college to be a teacher. I prefer smaller classes, agree on that point. If I call a parent to discuss behavior and other points I expect for them to help on their end. My son who has be taught respect, knows better than to act up in school and I have never had a problem with him. Where did he get his values, from me his parent. I, as a parent have a responsibility for my child and if there was or is a problem in school I would want to know so that I could nip it early on. It is my job to make sure that my child does not disrupt the learning experience for himself or others and I expect the same from parents. Not to much to ask for. I also expect for them to be the best parent possible and do what is needed for their child to succeed, what ever that may translate to. So I am not putting any responsiblity on to the parents, just getting them to do their jobs as parents.
I was referring to your grammar and sentence structure in your first and now your second post.
that's why I was hoping you were not an english teacher.

we are on the same page as far as parents setting a good example,
a lot of parents do not but is it really any different than years ago?

teachers can set the tone in their classroom and it will make a difference.

in regards to teachers being a product of their own schooling I don't
really know how I can make that more comprehensible for you.
they went thru a bad elementary/middle/high school and
now they are teaching our kids.

It really comes down to having to handle less kids at a time but
that change won't come until teachers and parents demand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte