Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,112,413 times

Advertisements

Hello friends. I have decided to take up a new hobby of flying radio-controlled airplanes. I bought a r/c flight simulator to practice on my computer (should be here this week), and then I want to buy a decent starter plane (electric, not gas powered for now). I went ahead and bought my A.M.A license, which is basically insurance coverage in case you crash into something or someone, yikes!

Does anyone in this group do this or know of anyone that can suggest a good place to fly in Charlotte proper? I've found online mention of the r/c airfields in York County and Lancaster County but I was thinking of somewhere closer in Charlotte.

Thanks for any advice also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,100,933 times
Years ago I tagged along with a friend who was into it. We went to a place off Shopton Road and Hwy 49. I have another friend who flies out of his own field in SC. You should contact the local hobby store. They will definitely know where to fly.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,227,985 times
When I was younger, I used to fly at local schools during "off" hours.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,450,858 times
Hope this helps...

Gaston RC Flyers

Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,918,370 times
We haven't been to the Charlotte Aeromodelers but we have been to the field in York, SC.

Tthis is serious stuff ... lots of money in the airplanes. Hubby had bought grandson a plane and we left it in the truck after seeing the $3,000.00+ toys. our plane looked like a gnat.

Charlotte Aeromodelers Club

York County Flyers

Old 12-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We haven't been to the Charlotte Aeromodelers but we have been to the field in York, SC.

Tthis is serious stuff ... lots of money in the airplanes. Hubby had bought grandson a plane and we left it in the truck after seeing the $3,000.00+ toys. our plane looked like a gnat.

Charlotte Aeromodelers Club

York County Flyers
It's not just the cost, it's the time many of those people have spent assembling those big buck planes.

One of my aforementioned buddies built a 1/8 scale (I think) P-51 Mustang. I'm no great judge of model planes, but it was beautiful and very authentic. The first time he took it to fly some $10 part (A servo, I think) malfunctioned. Time to assemble: 6 months. Cost: unknown, but the main components were well over $2K. Total flying time: less than 2 minutes.

Oops.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 PM

I recently went to the "Warbirds over the Glades" show at the airfield in Delray Beach, FL and couldn't believe some of these beauty's flying around. And yep, these aren't cheap but I was instantly hooked.

I'm not really looking to get into the super expensive r/c planes anytime soon though. There are plenty of decent planes out there for $100 - $400 dollars that are repairable if crashed. The hand-held controller is probably going to be my biggest expense at first. The one I want runs about $400.

Anyway, my Aerofly5 Simulator came today and I have been practicing. Still can't land worth a hoot but practicing on this should help. It will be a great way to kill some time on a cold winter day. I talked to some of those really good pilots at the Delray Beach show and many of them learned on these simulators.

Hey, CWoman & CKitty, thanks for those links. I've got them bookmarked.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,631,014 times
When I've taken the dog to the dog park at McAlpine Greenway Park, I've often seen folks flying radio-controlled planes in the field there. They looked like smaller planes, but I'm not familiar with the hobby.

I've seen folks at Frank Liske Park in Concord, too - bigger planes, more people; looked like it was a club of some type. That's not too far outside Charlotte.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I recently went to the "Warbirds over the Glades" show at the airfield in Delray Beach, FL and couldn't believe some of these beauty's flying around. And yep, these aren't cheap but I was instantly hooked.

I'm not really looking to get into the super expensive r/c planes anytime soon though. There are plenty of decent planes out there for $100 - $400 dollars that are repairable if crashed. The hand-held controller is probably going to be my biggest expense at first. The one I want runs about $400.

Anyway, my Aerofly5 Simulator came today and I have been practicing. Still can't land worth a hoot but practicing on this should help. It will be a great way to kill some time on a cold winter day. I talked to some of those really good pilots at the Delray Beach show and many of them learned on these simulators.

Hey, CWoman & CKitty, thanks for those links. I've got them bookmarked.
Flying is easy. Landing, OTOH...not so much, and far more important.

You definitely want to start with something easy to fly and repair. You may also want to start with a lesser controller, or buy used. I know these guys step up through some of their gear.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM

vmax I hear ya. I originally wanted to start off with a cheaper controller but some of the advice I got at the airshow was to go ahead and get a good controller that will cover your needs when you advance. Also they say get one with a buddy-box so you can fly with someone else. I still have a lot to learn. Once I feel ready to go out and terrorize the airfields, lol, I'll probably get this starter plane called the Champ for $89.99 which comes with a cheap controller. If I can find one without a controller it would be even cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte