Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM

6 posts, read 31,847 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, so I’m looking for a nice area to move too. I’m from Raleigh and when I moved here I went with the Ballaynte area. I’ve been there for about 6 months and it’s far out from everything! I know it’s the safest but I’m 23 and single and would prefer to be closer to nightlife, bars, restaurants, etc. I recently found a cute condo in Noda but have heard mixed reviews about that area when it comes to safety. I like Dilworth but I don’t want to spend 900/month for a place that’s only 600 sq/ft. I also really like the south park area. When it comes to safety I’ve concluded that all areas have their bad parts. I checked the sex offender’s registry and there were 171 sex offenders within a 3 mile radius of the nicest high rises in uptown. Scary! So at this point I’ve concluded pick somewhere relatively safe and exercise good judgment. Does anyone have any good apartment suggestions or thoughts on Noda and/or South Park. I also heard east blvd is a good area as well. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,694,577 times
My wife and I lived in Southpark before we had kids. There are a few place in walking distance to the mall and all the shops and restaurants near there. Its fairly easy and cheap to get into uptown from there but you may be a little young for the area and may find it boring like Ballantyne. We lived at the Colony Apts and were happy and safe; The Colony Apartments - Photos | Apartments for Rent in Charlotte, NC

Also check out the police crime mapping system to see how bad crime is in different locations. You should search several locations and compare them to get a feel for good vs. bad areas:
http://maps.cmpd.org/cmpdnet/agreement.aspx?ref=map (broken link)

Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,785,073 times
NoDa will be okay based on pricing. It will be better if you're into the artsy stuff, but I don't really see it as much as I used to. Keep in mind I'm not really looking for it either.

As for the 171 registered sex offenders within 3 miles of downtown, remember that the population density is much higher downtown than anywhere else in town. Someone correct me if I am wrong. A lot of those offenders have residency on the north end of downtown at a shelter or other housing. The NoDa and Plaza-Midwood areas have their fair share of RSO's but you don't really hear much about them. There may be slightly more mainly because of the availability of cheaper housing, which is not available in Dilworth. Honestly, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Yeah. I love dilworth but I don't want to have a roommate so it makes it very pricey. And yes, I learned very quickly that Charlotte can go from being very nice to not so nice. My main concern is safety since it would just be my dog and I. As for Southpark, I looked at the Colony. I liked the area alot but I just felt like I could get more square feet, etc, in other areas.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM

15,360 posts, read 12,544,787 times
While you can walk to the bars in NoDa the rest of downtown uptown is a few miles away.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Very true. I honestly don't really like uptown though. It's cool to visit but my friends live there and for me its to loud at night. My friends love it. It's just not for me. You will find me at Montford more often.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:14 PM

777 posts, read 2,554,414 times
Three places not mentioned: Southend. Less pricey than Dilworth (not cheap, just less pricey than dilworth). Lots to do. Light rail to get downtown. Not too many downfalls.

Elizabeth: Little cheaper than dilworth but same neighborhood feel, little less to do, 1 mile from downtown.

The area around Park Road Shopping center (doesn't really have a name). Tons of great restaurants, bars, entertainment. Cheaper than a lot of places (you could probably rent a house in Madison Park for $900). This area isn't fancy but is convienent.

Southpark area is great if you are willing to sacrafice being close to nightlife (there is places to go but not many). Lot of great restuarants though.

Noda isn't my cup of tea but I am not into the arts scenebut do like some of the places up there like Pizza Peel, Smelly Cat, and NoDa Brewing. If you are into the arts and don't plan to do all of your bar hopping uptown, this is a logical choice.

I have some friends that live in Plaza Midwood and love it, I also know people that have hated it there.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 PM

184 posts, read 464,192 times
I rented a 2 bed/2.5 bath condo in Myers Park with a roommate in the late 90's for under a grand. Not sure what the prices are like there now. It was off of 3rd street, behind Ginbu. There were plenty of quadraplexes for rent around there - you just have to drive around. It was safe and I was close to all the great 'hoods.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 PM

I really like dilworth/southpark/southend. Has anyone heard of the elmhurst apartments? They are a very good price. Alittle older but the price is awesome. Any suggestions of complexes? Thank you

Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM

763 posts, read 812,300 times
If I were 23, I would go to Southend, Gateway Village area, Elizabeth, or Plaza Midwood. There isn't much in Noda and Southpark is quite a way out and kind of dressy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte