Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Nah I was asking the guy who went to the diner in NJ :-).

I do know where Santorini's is...what used to be there? When you first posted I thought you were trying to say that Santorini's was a diner, and I was going to respond that I thought the Acropolis down the road could probably be considered a Greek-type diner and isn't bad. But I think you were just pointing out that Santorini's was Greek...and as you mentioned it definitely looks fancier than Acropolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Nah I was asking the guy who went to the diner in NJ :-).

I do know where Santorini's is...what used to be there? When you first posted I thought you were trying to say that Santorini's was a diner, and I was going to respond that I thought the Acropolis down the road could probably be considered a Greek-type diner and isn't bad. But I think you were just pointing out that Santorini's was Greek...and as you mentioned it definitely looks fancier than Acropolis
Sorry I wasn't clear. I agree with you about the Acropolis. I suppose the only thing that would not qualify the Acropolis as a diner would be the lack of a counter to eat on with the chairs that swivel.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I was in NJ this week and had the opportunity to eat at a diner off the turnpike. Their menu had absolutely everything you could imagine on it...I had a 1/2 chicken, 2 sides, salad and a drink for $11.00 and it was great food!
When I travel north, I often stop in a town called Jervis which is where N.J., N.Y., and Pa. meet. It is a truck stop that someone had told me about earlier. You can get anything from anywhere there since they have truckers from all over that patronize the place. When there, I asked for livermush just to see if they had it. The waitress said, "No, but we have the yankee equivalent." It was scrappel. I ordered it and liked it. Great place to stop if heading north up #77 to #81 way.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:21 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
When I travel north, I often stop in a town called Jervis which is where N.J., N.Y., and Pa. meet. It is a truck stop that someone had told me about earlier. You can get anything from anywhere there since they have truckers from all over that patronize the place. When there, I asked for livermush just to see if they had it. The waitress said, "No, but we have the yankee equivalent." It was scrappel. I ordered it and liked it. Great place to stop if heading north up #77 to #81 way.
Scrapple is PA Dutch. It's big in Lancaster Co., Philadelphia, & South Jersey. It's not widespread. You can also find it in DE & MD, but other than those places, the only places that you're likely to see it in the north is near Amish settlements. South Jersey & Philly diners serve omlets with an option od hash browns, home fries, or scrapple.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Scrapple is PA Dutch. It's big in Lancaster Co., Philadelphia, & South Jersey. It's not widespread. You can also find it in DE & MD, but other than those places, the only places that you're likely to see it in the north is near Amish settlements. South Jersey & Philly diners serve omlets with an option od hash browns, home fries, or scrapple.
I hope this is happy information, but you can buy scrapple in local grocery stores. It is in Harris Teeter for one. I believe that the grocery part of Walmart has it too. I'm not sure if any restaurants serve it, but with all of the northerners here, they should soon if not now.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I hope this is happy information, but you can buy scrapple in local grocery stores. It is in Harris Teeter for one. I believe that the grocery part of Walmart has it too. I'm not sure if any restaurants serve it, but with all of the northerners here, they should soon if not now.
Ingles sells Jenkins scrapple. It's made with rice. Real PA Dutch scrapple is made with cornmeal.

Did the truck stop give you maple syrup with your scrapple? My parents grew up in Michigan during the Depression. They ate fried mush a lot. It's like scrapple without the pig parts.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ingles sells Jenkins scrapple. It's made with rice. Real PA Dutch scrapple is made with cornmeal.

Did the truck stop give you maple syrup with your scrapple? My parents grew up in Michigan during the Depression. They ate fried mush a lot. It's like scrapple without the pig parts.
I don't remember if that particular place offered the syrup. I do recall tat the scrapple that I had was made with cornmean. That is what made it similar to livermuch also called liver pudding. The orgins of livermuch that I have found dates back the the 14th century in Scotland. Like scrapel, I believe all of the pig is used. When I have northern visitors that think that livermush sounds awful, I make it for breakfast and let them know afterwards what they ate. They are pleasantly surprised. I also feed them grits. They don't leave anything on their plates. We eat out mostly, but I have to do that to them at least once, especially if they are Jewish relatives (on my dad's side) from Boston. They do eat pig.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
what exit?
Funny, with the GPS systems I don't pay much attention these days. It was in Mt. Laurel called the Sage Diner.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Funny, with the GPS systems I don't pay much attention these days. It was in Mt. Laurel called the Sage Diner.
I know exactly where that is. When they built that diner, they tore down an old 1920/30s gas station that looked, for all of the world, like it could be in a very rural area in NC. That is a South Jersey diner.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
Is the topic "Diners" ? We have been to Mattie's Diner a few times for Saturday morning breakfast. It is at the Music Factory. How "authentic" is it? Well, it used to be the Bound Brook Diner in Bound Brook New Jersey, and they moved it down here. We like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte