Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
If there is a green right arrow, the walk signal is typically DON'T WALK. I obviously haven't been to every intersection but this is usually the case.

Examples:

1. If am turning right onto Independence from Sam Newell and I have a green right arrow traffic turning left from Independence eastbound has a green left arrow to turn onto Sam Newell. Thus, the walk signal would be DON'T WALK.

2. If I am turning right from Idlewild onto Independence and have a right green arrow, traffic turning left from Independence eastbound onto Idlewild have a left green arrow and the signal is DON'T WALK.

However, if you are turning right and you just have the regular green light then pedestrians would have a WALK signal.

If you're turning right on red, that means cross traffic is likely green so the signal still would be DON'T WALK.

Speaking for myself, I never assume someone is or isn't going to cross regardless of the walk signal. I always give them as wide a berth as possible.
I think the solid green walk scenario is more common and was the one the poster was referring to. In fact, I can't think of too many intersections that actually have right turn arrows. The danger of people turning right on red is when they pull into the crosswalk without slowing, then yield to traffic on the crosstreet rather than slowing before the crosswalk and allowing people the cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:37 AM

6 posts, read 4,399 times
Yes, I am talking about a solid green light. The driver turning right at a four-way intersection actually crosses two pedestrian crosswalks during that turn: the crosswalk on the original road and the crosswalk on the second road. So while one has a "Don't Walk", the other has a "Walk" part of the time.
Example: Driver is coming from downtown Matthews on Sam Newell Road, making a right onto Matthews Township Parkway/HWY 51. If the driver has a red light, the pedestrians crossing in front of him on Sam Newell Road have a "Walk" signal part of the time. If the driver is turning right on green, the pedestrians crossing MTP/ HWY 51 have a "Walk" signal part of the time.
Green arrows are protected turns, so the traffic signal timing and sequence is different from the timing and sequence of solid green lights.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 AM

I hate to revive this thread with such terrible news. But here is an example of how crosswalks aren't always the safest place to cross.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I hate to revive this thread with such terrible news. But here is an example of how crosswalks aren't always the safest place to cross.
I'm not sure I understand. So you're saying it's safer to cross where there isn't a crosswalk? That doesn't make any sense to me. Especially on a foggy day.

Also, I just noticed the headline of yesterday's article about the guy who was killed. "Wells Fargo exec struck...". That's kind of annoying, you don't read articles that start with "Burger King line cook struck and killed...". Why mention the guy's job?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. So you're saying it's safer to cross where there isn't a crosswalk? That doesn't make any sense to me. Especially on a foggy day.

Also, I just noticed the headline of yesterday's article about the guy who was killed. "Wells Fargo exec struck...". That's kind of annoying, you don't read articles that start with "Burger King line cook struck and killed...". Why mention the guy's job?

Both of these folks were struck in the crosswalk by a turning vehicle. I had mentioned earlier in this thread that one of the biggest problems with being a pedestrian in this city is that drivers are not looking for pedestrians in crosswalks when those drivers are turning. A driver has a better view of pedestrians in front of him rather than to the side of him. A driver who isn't expecting (or caring) about pedestrians is more likely to see them in front of him because that's where he's looking anyway. Thus, it's often much safer, especially at large intersections with high speed traffic, to cross away from the intersection. This intersection is one of the more dangerous in downtown Charlotte. It has low visibility and often high speeds from people getting off John Belk and not expecting pedestrians because they're transitioning from freeway driving to urban driving. I've seen so many close calls here its not funny.

I can't speak for the Observer's reasoning on that headline. But it would seem that being an executive would have been an important part of a person's identity and life. It also highlights the fact that the stereotype you advanced in the original post - that all pedestrians who get hit are drunk, homeless jaywalkers or somehow otherwise of sub-par intelligence - is not applicable.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Both of these folks were struck in the crosswalk by a turning vehicle. I had mentioned earlier in this thread that one of the biggest problems with being a pedestrian in this city is that drivers are not looking for pedestrians in crosswalks when those drivers are turning. A driver has a better view of pedestrians in front of him rather than to the side of him. A driver who isn't expecting (or caring) about pedestrians is more likely to see them in front of him because that's where he's looking anyway. Thus, it's often much safer, especially at large intersections with high speed traffic, to cross away from the intersection. This intersection is one of the more dangerous in downtown Charlotte. It has low visibility and often high speeds from people getting off John Belk and not expecting pedestrians because they're transitioning from freeway driving to urban driving. I've seen so many close calls here its not funny.

I can't speak for the Observer's reasoning on that headline. But it would seem that being an executive would have been an important part of a person's identity and life. It also highlights the fact that the stereotype you advanced in the original post - that all pedestrians who get hit are drunk, homeless jaywalkers or somehow otherwise of sub-par intelligence - is not applicable.
Uh, just to refresh your memory here is my OP

Quote:
So WBTV News opens tonight with "Another Charlotte pedestrian hit and killed overnight. Why does this keep happening on Charlotte streets?"

Ummm, because they try to cross when they shouldn't? Like the guy I saw trying to get across 74 today.

I think they were talking about this one: Woman struck, killed trying to cross street in University City - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

And then, during the very point where they are essentially blaming the city for not having adequate lighting, stop lights, etc. they show a guy slowly walking across four lanes nowhere near an intersection, another guy walking down the grassy median of an eight lane road and yet another guy crossing against the light.
Please explain to me where I advanced a stereotype that pedestrains getting hit were all drunk or homeless. I will say, however, that anyone who tries to run across a 10 lane highway such as 74 is of sub-par intelligence.

You seem to be advancing the theory that jaywalking is somehow safer than using a crosswalk. I am still not sure how that will protect you from a careless driver. IMO, you have a better chance at the crosswalk.

I also stand by my comment about the title. Lots of people have their identity wrapped up in their job but the paper doesn't go out of their way to mention it.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
It's a good idea to carry a 5 foot long walking stick and slam the offending vehicle. The walking stick (mine's a cedar pole) also serves as a self-defense weapon when the driver objects to the dent you just put in the side of their vehicle. I had a taxi driver take offense when I hit his cab when he nearly ran over me in a cross walk. His better judgement put him back in his cab and he drove off muttering something about whether my parents were married. :-)

At COSTCO, drivers ignore the crosswalks for the most part and I keep waiting for the day I can ram the buggy into the front or side of their vehicle because the driver is on the phone; it's always because they are on the phone.
Lol
On East Blvd almost all drivers ignore the crosswalks on the stretch beside Starbucks and Caribou coffee.
Too many people think they have the right of way because they are driving a car, even though half the time they're on their cell phone and driving with one hand.
I watched 2 people yesterday sail straight through 2 different red lights at intersections and both were using their phones.
In this day and age of technology why don't people have hands free if they feel the need to have to be on the phone whilst driving.
I also agree that sometimes, particularly in parking lots, don't pay attention.Walmart has definitely got to be the worst.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Lol
On East Blvd almost all drivers ignore the crosswalks on the stretch beside Starbucks and Caribou coffee.
Too many people think they have the right of way because they are driving a car, even though half the time they're on their cell phone and driving with one hand.
I watched 2 people yesterday sail straight through 2 different red lights at intersections and both were using their phones.
In this day and age of technology why don't people have hands free if they feel the need to have to be on the phone whilst driving.
I also agree that sometimes, particularly in parking lots, don't pay attention.Walmart has definitely got to be the worst.
I agree that plenty of drivers are careless and aren't paying attention. I still don't think the solution is for pedestrians to not use crosswalks properly.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Thus, it's often much safer, especially at large intersections with high speed traffic, to cross away from the intersection.
This is sooooo true. It is a known fact that most accidents occur at intersections (the only legal place for pedestrians to cross). This is because driver awareness is not needed as much when traveling down a road; yet people do have a difficult time of increasing their mental awareness when they are at or near an intersection.

Another problem with turning vehicles is the bad habit people have of looking in the opposite direction of where they are turning. For example, if you are turning right, you no longer have to look left once you've decided that it's safe to proceed. Unfortunately, many people continue to look left throughout the turn (as if that distant car is going to magically advance 1,000 feet in less than 1/2 a second). It takes almost 11 seconds for a vehicle doing 60 mph to advance 1,000 ft; if you're not cutting it close you have NO REASON at all to continue to stare left. Even if you are cutting it close, staring left won't change a thing now that you have committed to the turn.

In defensive driving (something that no one is required take except CDL drivers) you are taught to do the following:

1 Leave yourself an out
2 Make sure "they" (others) see you
3 Aim high in steering (look far ahead in the direction that you are traveling)
4 Keep your eyes moving
5 Get the big picture

So, if you are behind the wheel and someone seems to be close to walking out in front you, blow the horn (2 and 3 from above).
If you are behind the wheel at a busy shopping center, why not back into your parking spot so that you can leave easily by moving forward? (1 from above).
If you are making a right turn, don't stare left throughout the turn; get the big picture of what's going (4 and 5 from above).

Pedestrians should be more careful, but so should the drivers. In NYC, horns are blown all the time. Down south, horn blowing is thought of as being "rude". NO, blowing the horn is YOUR attempt at getting someone's attention and thus possibly saving their life.

As for College Street uptown; three major issues bother me about this stretch of road. For starters, it is too wide (4 lanes in a oneway direction). Planners are basically asking drivers to treat this road like a Nascar track. Secondly, the speed limit of 25 mph needs to be inforced. I've never seen anybody pulled over for speeding on this road (yet people speed here all the time; even the transit buses speed here). Lastly, the stretch where two people were recently hit is the only stretch uptown that doesn't have pedestrian bridges.
35.223369,-80.846157 - Google Maps

Here is the northern side of College....
308 South College Street, Charlotte - Google Maps

^^^This section of College Street has a walkway on almost every block (and traffic seems to move slower here thanks to Epicentre). IMO, turns should not be allowed at Stonewall and College anymore; obviously people are not smart enough (nor safe enough) to turn there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte