Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM

763 posts, read 812,577 times

Advertisements

It looks as if both the blue and red lines are going to get funding and start in the near future. I am curious about something and maybe someone has some actual information or knowledge. If they start the red line, will rail service start before the whole project is complete, or will the trains go to the stops that are complete in the interim before the whole project is finished? This is very exciting news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM

8,873 posts, read 13,836,394 times
I can only hope the leaders of Iredell County stand firm and don't fall victim to this Red Line sales pitch.

Iredell leaders skeptical about Mooresville-to-Charlotte train | Statesville Record & Landmark

There's no way $452M should be spent to benefit so few during limited hours of the day.

That money would be better spent widening I-77 from Exit 23 to Iredell County so that many more people can benefit from the investment. It's reported in the same article that widening I-77 would cost about $400-600M.

The wants of a few should never outweigh the needs of the many!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 PM

189 posts, read 331,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I can only hope the leaders of Iredell County stand firm and don't fall victim to this Red Line sales pitch.

Iredell leaders skeptical about Mooresville-to-Charlotte train | Statesville Record & Landmark

There's no way $452M should be spent to benefit so few during limited hours of the day.

That money would be better spent widening I-77 from Exit 23 to Iredell County so that many more people can benefit from the investment. It's reported in the same article that widening I-77 would cost about $400-600M.

The wants of a few should never outweigh the needs of the many!
Isn't that already in the plan to expand 77 and the funds being used for the red line would come from rail specific money from the federal government?

That area is particularly bad, normally I'm not an advocate of wider roads because several studies I've stumbled upon make convincing cases that long term the extra lanes do little to reduce congestion. But I see (and am in) the stop and go every day and there has to be something that can be done to relieve that.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 PM

189 posts, read 331,955 times
Ah should have read the link before I commented! I thought Lynx and Red Line were both able to get federal funding but I guess that's just the blue line extension.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,112,605 times
Every time I go visit my Dad in Boca Raton, I love seeing the Tri-Rail commuter trains that run along I-95, from Miami to West Palm Beach. It reminds me of what the Red Line will possibly be like when it's done.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM

416 posts, read 922,849 times
I can't wait until the blue line extends to NoDa. I'm in Ballantyne but will utilize that area more frequently for concerts when the rail extends to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte