Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
Whoa whats up with the negative press about S. Blvd? I'll admit it does have its areas but there are nice parts too particularly the Ayrsley section. People are always out jogging, walking the dog or strolling with kids. What end is Sharon Lakes on? Past the Wally World or past the Target?

More so on topic, go on the cmpd website and see if anything has been reported within a few 100 ft to 1.5 mile radius from your address.
The street you are referring to is not S.Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
Whoa whats up with the negative press about S. Blvd? I'll admit it does have its areas but there are nice parts too particularly the Ayrsley section. People are always out jogging, walking the dog or strolling with kids. What end is Sharon Lakes on? Past the Wally World or past the Target?

More so on topic, go on the cmpd website and see if anything has been reported within a few 100 ft to 1.5 mile radius from your address.
The OP is talking about a different area. Ayrsley, Walmart and Target are off South Tryon Street not South Blvd.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM

373 posts, read 778,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Ahhhhh....you realize there is a gun range right there right? Right on South Blvd between Sharon Lakes Rd and Sharon Rd. Been there for a long time.
There is no gun range in the area.
You are probably thinking of the gun store: Carolina Sporting Arms.

scltanon:
Unfortunately there is no real solution to your problem.
In low-income/ section 8 housing/ projects, this kind of thing goes on all the time. Unless you see the person doing the shooting and can identify them or give a defined physical description, the police can not and will not do anything about it. They may even tell you to not bother them with 911 calls about it.
They are shooting in the air and not at anyone if that gives you any relief. Someone could still be harmed by a expelled round falling from the sky. So that is not good.

10 years ago Sharon Lakes was a great place for young people starting out because of its location and price. Now it's 90% section 8 or some other form of gubment subsidy.
Matter of fact there was a murder at Quail Run a few months ago:
http://www.wbtv.com/story/15317830/couple-and-child-reported-dead-in-charlotte-apartment

If you want to live cheap, you may end up paying the price in terms of not being in a safe neighborhood.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 PM

185 posts, read 318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
The OP is talking about a different area. Ayrsley, Walmart and Target are off South Tryon Street not South Blvd.
I know that, thanks. It popped in my head a little while ago. I always get those two streets mixed up, have no idea why

Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Common in the University City area as well... towards Derita.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
My former mail delivery person said had lived at Sharon Lakes and had to break his lease - it was so dangerous. His car kept getting broken into, he was assaulted in the parking lot, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if those are gunshots you hear.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
We rented an apartment over there about 15 years ago when we first moved to Charlotte. It was so nice. The pool area was like a country club on the weekend with volleyball, people grilling out, partying. Everyone was so nice and friendly and it was extremely safe. The only drawback was you could hear the loud speakers from the car dealerships on South. But the complex was so nice and our apartment was amazing considering where we had come from in NYC. It makes me so sad to drive by there these days.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 8,290 times
So I completely forgot about this. I record a podcast every week during a recording of an episode you CAN HEAR THE SHOTS! you need to turn your speakers up but you can distinctly hear them.

http://tinyurl.com/6rv58p2 (broken link)

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Obviously I've picked a bad area to live and when the time comes to renew my lease I will be waiving it and looking elsewhere. Interested in people's ffedback on the audio file I've posted. The sad thing is my microphone is just an audiotechnica AT2020 nothing special.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scltanon View Post
So I completely forgot about this. I record a podcast every week during a recording of an episode you CAN HEAR THE SHOTS! you need to turn your speakers up but you can distinctly hear them.

http://tinyurl.com/6rv58p2 (broken link)

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Obviously I've picked a bad area to live and when the time comes to renew my lease I will be waiving it and looking elsewhere. Interested in people's ffedback on the audio file I've posted. The sad thing is my microphone is just an audiotechnica AT2020 nothing special.

Read your lease thoroughly, word-by-word. I'm in Texas, so I know nothing about leases in your state. However, most leases have procedures for non-renewal. I believe here you must notify them 2 months in advance of the lease expiration or they consider it a broken lease. whatever.....make sure you follow their procedure or either get stuck there again or have your credit ruined.

BTW, I lived in Detroit, I know what you mean, I heard the exact same popping sounds, and yes, they were 5 at a time....who or what were they shooting at?

And NO, do NOT call the police every time you hear such noises. They have to write up every call, they can't just dismiss it as "shots of unknown origin", etc. WTH can they do, anyways?Track down a shot that's been fired maybe an hour ago? No, they will charge YOU with making excessive, unwarranted 911 calls---case closed.

Just get your behind out of there, and be glad you're only renting---good luck!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 8,290 times
Well after a week of nothing once again shots I'm gonna to take the suggestion of getting a meeting with the captain. I don't believe I can be cited for excessive phone calls to the cops I pay my taxes.

I've also spoken with police and they have stated others in my complex are calling and they've phone the helicopters over and found people doing stuff. I'd love to move out but breaking a lease is expensive and not easy just to pull up and leave.

Thank you everyone for the responses in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte