Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

Thanks all, for your feedback!

I can't respond to your posts individually, but to sum it all up:

1) One poster several times mentioned that they didn't want to offend me. So you know, I can't ever be offended if someone is being truthful, sincere, and respectful in their reply, as you all were .

2) I have friends of all faiths, including a very close friend of no faith. I once worked for a company that was predominantly Jewish. Guess what? I voluntarily became Jewish for the week, in celebration of Hanukah, and I loved every minute of it (especially the food!). I appreciate different cultures...my concern has nothing to do with celebrating different cultures.

3) There are all different kinds of New Yorkers. Some are rude; some aren't. Some are horn honkers; some aren't. Some are respectful, some aren't. A good many of the new yorkers I know (who fled NY), are good people who were burnt out from the rat race in NY. If I were content with my NY lifestyle, I wouldn't be looking to leave . The southern lifestyle suits me just fine, for my personality and values align with those of the south.

4) It was told to me by several high school students, that in one school district in eastern Long Island, if you sing Christmas carols within the school, the student is subject to being written up, with a possible suspension. This kind of nonsense speaks to the heart of my concern – and just because it hasn't yet happened down south, doesn't mean that it isn't happening in other parts of the country. So there's no misunderstanding: If you're Christian, you should be free to celebrate your faith in a courteous and respectful way. If you're Jewish, you should be free to celebrate your faith in a courteous and respectful way. If you're Muslim, you should be free to celebrate your faith in a courteous and respectful way. If you're Hindu, you should be free to celebrate your faith in a courteous and respectful way.

5) I agree that the first mission of a Christian "should be more focused on putting the Christ in Christian than the Christ in Christmas."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
OP - If you're looking to escape the hustle and bustle of your native NY .... Luck would have it, you'll be in good company with all the other NY, NJ, general NE transplants that have already moved down!

This means .. while taxes are low now, there is a demand to increase them to help support the increasing demands on the infrastructure and school systems. There was a big uproar not long ago over talks of a huge property tax increase in Union County. There have also been talks about toll roads to support the high expenses. NC also just passed a gas tax hike, and we're now 3rd highest gas tax in the country.

The public transportation is not very good, so you have lots of congestion on the roads during rush hour. You also have a lot of idiots driving and extremely high accident rates.

I think it is hysterical that the local news can interview people of the community on their opinions of tax increases and we hear statements like, "I left NJ because of the taxes, and now the taxes are going up here! This isn't why I moved here!"

Well, get enough influence from the area you left, and things will turn into the area you left. And, in some cases, worse than what you left -- because this area doesn't have the infrastructure or cash flow to support the huge population increase.

If you're looking for the "Southern" culture, much of it has long since moved out of the city of Charlotte. As the population boomed, housing prices soared and taxes increased, they sold out and moved out.

As for Christmas / Holiday debate... I have biggest issues in my life. My advice - get over it. Use your own descretion as to what works for you, and move along. The US has much bigger problems than the political correctness debate.
The worst thing in the world is the NJ/NYC car honking before the light even thinks about turning green.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The worst thing in the world is the NJ/NYC car honking before the light even thinks about turning green.
I know, it drives me nuts. I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is in such a big, d*** hurry. I would much rather get to my destination point safely than a minute or two earlier. But, that's just me.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
I know, it drives me nuts. I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is in such a big, d*** hurry. I would much rather get to my destination point safely than a minute or two earlier. But, that's just me.
You can take the rat out of the race but you can't take the race out of the rat?

Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
Quote:
And when I go down to visit my pop in South FL, they all do the same thing there. Honking before the dang light turns green! It's even worse between Nov & April when all the "snowbirds" go down to south FL. Just part of the northern rat race culture.

Last edited by swampfoxer; 12-22-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 PM

763 posts, read 822,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
An internet thug is pretty much who you were when you threatened to kick an imaginary a$$ and hang it's butt from the tree.

You do realize that the "someone" who is trying to infringe on your freedom was created by you.
Congrats on your new job as the comment judge. I really don't care about your opinion of my comments. It seems as if you have enough on your slate. If what I say upsets you, put me on ignore. Besides, you obviously missed what I was saying. I said that if someone came to my house and told me to stop playing christmas music, I would "kick their @ss". There was nothing imaginary involved. Please find someone else to annoy.

If it makes you feel better, I will change my comment and say that if anyone comes to my house and tells me to stop playing Christmas music, I will not hesitate to kick their @ss if they persist. Take that any way you chose. It is not something that will likely happen. Besides, I was sort of kidding around. Too bad you didn't see that.

Last edited by Stella Artois; 12-22-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 03:33 PM

763 posts, read 822,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
And when I go down to visit my pop in South FL, they all do the same thing there. Honking before the dang light turns green! It's even worse between Nov & April when all the "snowbirds" go down to south FL. Just part of the northern rat race culture.
Part of the snowbird problem in the Miami area is the old folks driving 24 mph in their required two lanes.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
^Yeh, but they honk at ME, and I am not an old folk or a snowbird. But I know where you're coming from stella.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
All this "War on Christmas" baloney reminds me of this classic, which I think sums up the attitude of all of those folks who imagine that there is some sort of Christmas conspiracy. Just say what you're going to say and get on with your life. And quit pretending to be persecuted because someone else says happy Holidays.

I hate that because of hypocrites and controversy-mongers, saying "Merry Christmas" is like some sort of political football. Just makes me want to say Happy Holidays all the more.
Mod Cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-23-2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: in appropriate language video

Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Just part of the northern rat race culture.
Trust me - I have traveled all over this country - there are plenty of stupid drivers in every corner.

Like down here when people who don't have a stop sign at an intersection will stop anyways and try to wave you through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte