Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:14 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

Right now my Wife & I still live on Long Island, NY. The main reasons we're looking into leaving, is that things got way too hectic, and this is not a place where we'd raise kids. Charlotte fits the bill in so many ways: low property taxes, sunny climate, no one is in a tizzy (mad rush), and most of all: the values of the majority reflect those of my Wife & I. People still say "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am" - and it's with that that I write the below gripe:

About 10 years ago, major retailers started to eviscerate the name of Christmas - replacing it with 'holiday,' 'festival,' and other nonsense. Towns soon followed...

Yet I notice that the practice has crept into the South, as I read the latest edition of my Wife's Southern Living Magazine. A major food retailer had a several page spread, and on one page in particular, they referred to a 'holiday' (e.g. holiday cookies, holiday tree, holiday songs, etc.) - with the kind of ridiculous redundancy that even a third grader would recognize. This is one of the main reasons why I am looking into moving into the South - to get away from this politically correct nonsense.

I don't mind people practicing whatever they wish, nor am I looking into shoving my religion down anyone's throat, but I am incensed at the ridiculously obvious efforts to make Christmas as secular as possible.

What's the average Charlottean's opinion of secularizing Christmas, using generic terms? Does this bother anyone else?

Last edited by NDL; 12-21-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Right now my Wife & I still live on Long Island, NY. The main reasons we're looking into leaving, is that things got way too hectic, and this is not a place where we'd raise kids. Charlotte fits the bill in so many ways: low property taxes, sunny climate, no one is in a tizzy (mad rush), and most of all: the values of the majority reflect those of my Wife & I. People still say "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am" - and it's with that that I write the below gripe:

About 10 years ago, major retailers started to eviscerate the name of Christmas - replacing it with 'holiday,' 'festival,' and other nonsense. Towns soon followed...

Yet I notice that the practice has crept into the South, as I read the latest edition of my Wife's Southern Living Magazine. A major food retailer had a several page spread, and on one page in particular, they referred to a 'holiday' (e.g. holiday cookies, holiday tree, holiday songs, etc.) - with the kind of ridiculous redundancy that even a third grader would recognize. This is one of the main reasons why I am looking into moving into the South - to get away from this politically correct nonsense.

I don't mind people practicing whatever they wish, nor am I looking into shoving my religion down anyone's throat, but I am incensed at the ridiculously obvious efforts to make Christmas as secular as possible.

What's the average Charlottean's opinion of secularizing Christmas, using generic terms? Does this bother anyone else?
I speak as someone who has been here for about a year and a half, but keep in mind, that like the other half of Long Island, and 3/4 of New Jersey that are already here, that some of the things you may be looking to escape, may be waiting for you when you arrive.

And personally, regarding Christmas, I can't speak for the people who run things and have to placate people, especially people who actively look for a reason to complain about things. I don't mind Christmas terminology, as that is the holiday my family gathers for, but I also have no issue with anyone using any of the other terminology for Hanukah, or Kwanzaa, ect. I think that people tend to just use the generic Happy Holiday because it's just easier than addressing each one separately.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Not really. If I am bothered by something, it is usually an issue of actual importance.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
Please put feelings aside when reading this, it will sound offensive but it isnt meant to be....just reality i hold no judgement over anyone personally and do not care either way, i will jsut share what i have witnessed and felt.

I wouldnt hold high hopes for Charlotte. I love the city and way too many things about it to go on about. THe problem is that it has become entirely too tranisent. No offense but there must be somewhere other than charlotte that everyone from NY and NJ needs to move to. You all complain about the madness up there but then you all go to Charlotte and bring it with you. I lived there twice for two years and I am from MN so I kind of had an outside persepective looking in. There are the Locals and then there are the New Yorkers, the Locals hate it, they call it lil' new york now. all the fake NY style pizza shops and delis, rest.etc. all the crazy drivers(remember you arent in NY anymore, you can slow down a bit, be couteous, and take it easy, that is the reason you went to the south right? to slow down?) The bad attitudes.... I am really not trying to offend you but hopefully you are a very respectful person and respect the culture of the south. Charlotte is still very traditional believe it or not. Once you get outside the city limits, be careful.... they know whos from there and who is not. I toy with the idea of moving back but i am not sure if i want to get in the middle of the Lil' Civil war sort to speak...cuz its a comin'! I think what irritates people the most is that when transplants move down from NY/NJ they usually have a little money and they will go build a huge home on a tiny lot and pretend like you have arrived or something, remember that it is not really impressive. Oh and please don't open a NY style anything there. It seems like everyone from NY/NJ that comes down thinks they need to open a pizza or italian joint...... most of them fail, remember that Charlotte enjoys home cooking, and sure other New Yorkers (and there are a lot of them) may like it but they also have a thousand of them to choose from...... Im suprised that New Yorkers would rather live in Charlotte than say Raleigh. Raleigh is prettier, closer to the water, closer to NY(if you have family that you will go back and visit) bigger city, more stable, more to do and isn't failing economically. Charlotte is great but it is still small and getting very crowded and limited things to do. 4 hours from the ocean and 3 hours from mountains....but yes you can get a cheap crappy built home in a cookie cutter neighborhood for little to nothing and live large....until you get bored there....

Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Personally it doesn't matter to me either way. There are other religious holidays so I understand the term as being to respect everyone during this joyous season. Notice Christmas is still recognize as a national holiday. We can't say the same about the other religions who celebrate their holiday during this same time period. If they want the day off to celebrate, they have to use time off.

Lastly, I personally think things aren't as PC (removing christmas) as you make them. Here from a live NY show...
Starts around 1:00

Saturday Night Live 712 (Se 37 Ep 10) Jimmy Fallon - Opening Monologue - YouTube

In addition, Michael Buble sang Have Yourself a Merry Christmas on the show as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Please understand . . . as others have mentioned . . . Charlotte is not filled with Southerners. There are more natives outside Charlotte in smaller towns . . . but even a "bedroom community" such as Huntersville has seen unbelievable growth in the last 10 years . . . and there are simply few natives in proportion to newcomers.

And most of the newcomers are from the NE.

Not that this is a bad thing! I have made many wonderful friends who moved here from NJ and NY. Marketing professionals are very aware of the shift in demographics here . . . and this region has a diversity in religious beliefs. In an attempt to respect everyone's various religious beliefs . . . marketers have chosen to use "Holiday" rather than "Christmas." I totally get that and it doesn't bother me.

To my friends and family . . . I know I can greet them in a meaningful way (Happy Hanukkah! or Merry Christmas!) But in general, I know that "seasons greetings" is gonna get my message across when I am not sure who my audience will be.

I don't think most people are offended one way or the other . . . and for those of us who do participate in organized religion, we have a venue where the "reason for the season" is clearly understood and communicated with fellow believers. So I just don't see it as a problem.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I wouldnt hold high hopes for Charlotte. I love the city and way too many things about it to go on about. THe problem is that it has become entirely too tranisent. No offense but there must be somewhere other than charlotte that everyone from NY and NJ needs to move to.....
Raleigh?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Why would it bother you to have some respect for other people's holidays? People of all religious persuasions like "Christmas cookies". My mother had a Jewish friend who bought "Christmas ornaments" & a "Christmas tree" & she & her kids put up their Chanukah Bush every year. If you know a person & know what holiday they celebrate then wish them a happy (fill in the correct holiday), if not, Happy Holidays is not offensive.

I live 30 miles out & have been wished Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or Have a good one, at random, by natives. I think that if you don't want to be wished Happy Holidays you have to move over 30 miles out from Charlotte.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
I think the changing "Christmas" to "Holiday," etc. is a national trend. And it's probably just due to the fear of getting sued. You said it was "major grocery retailer." I'm sure most "major grocery retailers" across the country are doing the same thing.

I don't know, maybe the South was slow to the party, since it is primarily a Christian area. But I don't see anything wrong with saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or whatever. But you never know what holidays people celebrate so it probably is easier just to say Happy Holidays. Do you really want to wish a Jewish person a Merry Christmas?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
I was shopping at Blackhawk Hardware the other day. A very well-known, long established and very popular retail store in urban Charlotte. All the cashiers were wishing Merry Christmas to customers as they completed their sale. It was so refreshing to know that not every retailer is afraid of not being "politically correct" over the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte