Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:20 PM

49 posts, read 166,049 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Charlotte and start my new job in 10 days. I have my house for sale and am coming down on my own while my wife stays back. I have been looking at some corporate rentals and I found a couple of 1 bedroom furnished places at around $1500/mo. It appears they are both near the Ballantyne area. One is Atkins Circle and the other is Colonial Grand @ Beverly Crest. Can someone tell me about either of these places and how they are with respect to safety, amenities in the area, close to public transportation to uptown, etc.? I would appreciate the views.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 01:47 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Those are both decent, but a rough commute to uptown. The Ballantyne are is really nice with a theater and a lot of restaurants nearby. www.ballantynevillage.com

Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadoo View Post
I am relocating to Charlotte and start my new job in 10 days. I have my house for sale and am coming down on my own while my wife stays back. I have been looking at some corporate rentals and I found a couple of 1 bedroom furnished places at around $1500/mo. It appears they are both near the Ballantyne area. One is Atkins Circle and the other is Colonial Grand @ Beverly Crest. Can someone tell me about either of these places and how they are with respect to safety, amenities in the area, close to public transportation to uptown, etc.? I would appreciate the views.
Thanks.
Both areas are nice, and safe. I would choose Beverly Crest for the best of the two for getting uptown in rush hour. You can actually take express buses from either area and avoid driving to uptown if you want - but again, it would be a quicker ride from Beverly Crest (which is very near the Arboretum - great for restaurants, movie theater, WalMart, Barnes and Noble, etc.) But really, you can't go wrong in either place

Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,135 times
Don't know about Colonial Grand, but Atkins Circle looks pretty nice from the outside. It's a very new complex... maybe about 2 years old. There's a lot of restaurants and shopping in the Ballantyne area, some right next door to Atkins Circle and a lot more within a 5-10 minute drive. It's a popular area, so traffic can be pretty bad heading into the city from there. Probably about 20 minutes to uptown with no traffic, but you might be looking at about 45 minutes in rush hour. I wouldn't worry much about safety in that area either.

A couple of drawbacks to that community... there are power lines running right alongside it (not sure if that's a concern since this isn't a permanent home for you). And it's literally right off the Johnston Road entrance ramp to I-485, so you'll probably get a decent amount of noise from the highway (have to hope the apartments have decent sound insulation ).

Old 08-30-2007, 02:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks80 View Post
Don't know about Colonial Grand, but Atkins Circle looks pretty nice from the outside. It's a very new complex... maybe about 2 years old. There's a lot of restaurants and shopping in the Ballantyne area, some right next door to Atkins Circle and a lot more within a 5-10 minute drive. It's a popular area, so traffic can be pretty bad heading into the city from there. Probably about 20 minutes to uptown with no traffic, but you might be looking at about 45 minutes in rush hour. I wouldn't worry much about safety in that area either.

A couple of drawbacks to that community... there are power lines running right alongside it (not sure if that's a concern since this isn't a permanent home for you). And it's literally right off the Johnston Road entrance ramp to I-485, so you'll probably get a decent amount of noise from the highway (have to hope the apartments have decent sound insulation ).

All further reasons why I would go with Beverly Crest (and just FYI seahawk, from there to uptown is more like 25-30 minutes in the middle of the day these days - forget rush hour!)

Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
I agree with lovesMountains (what a surprise ) Beverly Crest would be closer to uptown...also convenient to Matthews and the Arboretum.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 61,951 times
I live in Colonial Grand @ Beverly Crest. I really like our apartment (we have a one bedroom w/den) and the management tends to be pretty good --maintenence has always been done same-day for us. The pond is pretty nasty though! As far as commute, it typically takes about 18-20 minutes to get uptown during non-rush hour times so it'd be a little longer for early morning and 5pm commutes. It's in a good neighborhood with townhomes and single-family homes and lots of people out jogging, walking dogs, biking, etc. all the time. And it's about a mile from the Arboretum with lots of restaurants and shops. There are certainly things I don't like about it as far as people trowing trash on the ground and not always keeping the breezeways neat even though there are restrictions, but I guess you have to deal with that with any apartment. What was that about the $1500/mo in rent tho?! Surely CG@BC didn't quote you that much! Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have about it!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 AM

49 posts, read 166,049 times
This was a furnished short term rental via a corporate rental company. This is actually one of the cheaper rates that I have been quoted. What I am finding is that rent will run around $900/mo unfurnished and with a lease. Most corporate rentals have doubled that figure and have no lease requirement.
I also have another option, where a realtor I have been working with has found a furnished home for around $1400/mo and it is close to the Mint Hill area and actually on Matthews - Mint Hill Road. I can split this with a friend,but don't know much about that area either. Can anyone elaborate on it for me? Is it a better commute to Uptown? Restaurants nearby? Safe? I like the apartment idea because I won't need a gym membership either, but this is a much more cost effective situation while I look for a permanent home.

Thanks Again - This is a great forum and I am looking forward to relocating!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 AM

15 posts, read 61,951 times
Oh, then I guess that makes sense. Don't forget you can use Mapquest to estimate your driving times. Granted it doesn't account for rush hour traffic or anything, but it tends to give a pretty good estimate of what normal drive time would be. I chose a random, middle address on Matthews-Mint Hill Rd to BofA Corporate uptown -- here's the link:
Driving Directions from [800-928] Matthews Mint Hill Rd, Matthews, NC to Bank of America Corp, 100 North Tryon St # 220, Charlotte, NC

Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 82,096 times
I rented a house in Beverly Crest before we purchased our current home (in Matthews) and we found it very convenient to uptown. Beverly Crest is a well-landscaped neighborhood with very nice (although somewhat expensive per square ft.) single-family homes, nice townhomes, and of course, the attractive apartments. If you want to see what some of the homes look like that are for sale, go to allentate. com and type in Beverly Crest where it says subdivisions. (I'm not affiliated with Allen Tate Real Estate in any way-I just like their sight.) You can also go to charmeck.org to get crimes statistics and tons of other information. The Arboretum is great for shopping, but because of that, it's VERY congested. If that doesn't bother you, you'll probably really enjoy this spot. You metioned renting a house on Matthews-Mint Hill Rd.- I guess you realize that this is actually Hwy 51? The name of Hwy 51 changes as it runs through each town. Part of this road in the Mint Hill area is only two lanes (it's rather rural) and you may have a very difficult time getting out of your driveway depending on the time of day. I know the section of Hwy. 51 from Beverly Crest through Matthews and into Mint Hill very well and depending on exactly where the house is located can make a BIG difference in many ways. As you leave Matthews going into Mint Hill, you leave major shopping and restaurants, although there is a new plaza with a Harris Teeter (nice, sometimes expensive, grocery store). Do you want a safe, country feel where theres still indigenous trees/bushes/plants without perfect landscaping? That's Mint Hill. If you want something more upscale, also safe, landscaped, close to the city, with more shopping, that's Beverly Crest. Also, while I'm guessing that you don't have children, the schools assigned to Beverly Crest are considered to be among the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte