Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:29 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
You really don't mean that do you? I mean, like apart from this thread...in general.

Yes I do....it is juvenile. And at the end of the day does it really matter? No.

We can not control what others do, if it is of someone's character to do that, then they will. It isn't right but they will play that game, but to use stereo-typing as a crutch for an issue will never get anywhere nor will it progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yes I do....it is juvenile. And at the end of the day does it really matter? No.

We can not control what others do, if it is of someone's character to do that, then they will. It isn't right but they will play that game, but to use stereo-typing as a crutch for an issue will never get anywhere nor will it progress.

Understand...but you would be against, for example, an authority stopping you on the street for the typical "sterotyping" reasons and asking for your ID?

For example: On the third day of no shaving, my work clothes on, I'm not blond or Sweed looking (by a long shot), I'm walking in the parking lot of Home Depot In Sav. talking Spanish...... I have NY plates on my pick up truck. I'm stopped and Big Bad Billy Bob the cop asks me for ID. have a problem with that. You don't?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Understand...but you would be against, for example, an authority stopping you on the street for the typical "sterotyping" reasons and asking for your ID?

For example: On the third day of no shaving, my work clothes on, I'm not blond or Sweed looking (by a long shot), I'm walking in the parking lot of Home Depot In Sav. talking Spanish...... I have NY plates on my pick up truck. I'm stopped and Big Bad Billy Bob the cop asks me for ID. have a problem with that. You don't?
Yes of course....but that is crossing another line entirely.
I learned long ago to never judge a person by the outward appearance, you can quickly be fooled.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM

763 posts, read 822,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
\ ,yes you have to hand in your passport at a hotel in Europe-wherevever you come from-even if it's the same country!

Not required in the U.K.

As I've said before and before-I don't agree with illegal immigration, I've merely tried to illustrate that a lot of what people say about illegal immigrants is ALSO TRUE OF LEGAL IMMIGRANTS AND AMERICANS.Nothing red herring about that-people just don't want to hear it.

How can anything said about illegal immigrants apply to legal immigrants and Americans. You are comparing apples and oranges.

When people say things like "you can tell the illegal immigrants as all drive 15 miles under the speed limit" it's no different from someone else saying "you can tell someone is from Charlotte because they chew tobacco and carry a shotgun". That's stereotyping-yes?

Like stereotyping English people and saying they all have rotten teeth and are soccer hoodlums.

As is "I helped an illegal once. He was drunk driving and ran off when he wrecked the car" or words to that effect

Of course doesn't matter if you are here legally or illegally, unless you're a citizen you have no constitutional rights anyway.

No constitutional rights? wrong. Illegals get legal aide and the same protections as a legal citizen. Aditionally they get government checks, free medical, free education, and other benefits.

Yes, you can come here! LEGALLY!

But only if you meet the criteria. Is that how it was for your ancestors? or maybe they just fought with and killed the people who were already here.

That is how it is everywhere in the world. Of course you have to meet certain criteria. If you are referring to ancestors fighting Indians in the colonial days, they were British, not Americans. So, you might want to blame the bloody Brits for any hostilities. Many of us were decendants of immigrants from the 19th and 20th century.

Why don't you just give up?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:

I can honestly say it wouldn't bother me to be stopped and asked for my ID. I have been stopped and asked for my driver's license on occasion. I would not be insulted. I would assume the officer stopping me had some reason to do so.

I was stopped by a hick sheriff's deputy in a neighboring county after midnite on a winding, dark secondary road back about 30 years ago and it was obvious the only reason he stopped me was b/c I was a female traveling alone. He had something in mind and it was not a citation. Now, that upset me.

But stopping me just b/c it appears I didn't fit in . . . I would not be insulted. Unless there is a threat of sexual intimidation, I don't find it offensive to have LE question me or request my ID info. We live in a country of laws - even if some folks abuse their power.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 PM

763 posts, read 822,307 times
Quote:

I know that you want to play the race care, but this situation would be the case with any precarious looking individual, not just the "blond or Sweed" looking person. The cop is being proactive and keeping us innocent people safe. Instead of Big Bad Billy the cop, it could as easily have been tall lanky trash talking Rufus the cop.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I know that you want to play the race care, but this situation would be the case with any precarious looking individual, not just the "blond or Sweed" looking person. The cop is being proactive and keeping us innocent people safe. Instead of Big Bad Billy the cop, it could as easily have been tall lanky trash talking Rufus the cop.

Get over it. You've tried it 2 or 3 times to form MY opinion. There's no race card here my friend. Answer the questions that are presented to you andplease stop defining me on this forum or hold your opinion to yourself.

Plain and simple.Don't give me the "proactive" crap especially when it comes from the State of Ga. or Alabama. You got to be kidding or ignorant as you insinuated I am.

"Keeping us innocent ppl. safe".... in a state (NC) that has the most ppl. with permits to concel and carry in the nation. Go out and buy a gun if you're so freightned of the illegals big boy.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
The thing that burns me the most on this whole topic is not so much the illegals wanting things, but my fellow American's who feel so generous and philanthropic to have the gov't spend my tax dollars to give it them.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The thing that burns me the most on this whole topic is not so much the illegals wanting things, but my fellow American's who feel so generous and philanthropic to have the gov't spend my tax dollars to give it them.

They don't give feel generous at all. We pay our taxes bc it's the law. WE elected the lying pols that "give our tax dollars" to undocumented people.

What's so hard abt this to understand? WE THE PEOPLE have no other say in the matter but to vote for the pol that we THINK is going to do the right thing....as he promised in his or hers election campaign. Sadly they have memory problems.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
They don't give feel generous at all. We pay our taxes bc it's the law. WE elected the lying pols that "give our tax dollars" to undocumented people.

What's so hard abt this to understand? WE THE PEOPLE have no other say in the matter but to vote for the pol that we THINK is going to do the right thing....as he promised in his or hers election campaign. Sadly they have memory problems.

But that opens a whole other can o' worms....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte