U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM

763 posts, read 210,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Whatever....common sense will tell you its all about marketing (to make the school sound academically superior)....Its no different IMO to the HS I went to that was a "prep" HS.....

But if it makes you angry, or if you want to rant, great....

I could care less as long as the school was performing well (which looking at some of these, some are greatly improving from where they were a couple years ago.)
LOL!! Academically superior? Not sure about that. I am aware of "prep" high schools. They are schools that are for the college bound high school student. But, is the University Park "creative art" School is for the creative art bound and the Albermarle Road Elementary Academy of World Studies is for the "World Studies" bound? I don't see the connection. Do you see my point?

Angry? LOL!! If I have obviously touched a sore spot with you, that would make you the "angry" person and not me. I am just looking for some reasoning for the unusual names of schools.

I believe that schools should just be called what they are, high schools, middle schools, or elementary schools. The Albermarle Road Elementary Academy of World Studies is as much of a academy specializing in world studies as Wilson Middle School is a school focusing on Wall Street finance.

If you "could care less", that would mean that you have peaked out at caring. LOL! I believe you mean you "couldn't" care less. Anyway, I am allowed to touch on this subject as I am wondering if it is logical or just "feelie, goodie" stuff that serves no meaningful purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
It's not hard to figure out. Some of these are regular schools but most are magnets. The names signify the concentration of the students at the school. For instance, at Garinger, a student might decide to enter the Business and Finance concentration to prepare for an accounting certificate or the Math and Science to take more math and science. Northwest School of the Arts has many Theater, Music and Art concentrations, while Harding University is more geared toward college prep.
Thank you for your answer. It makes sense. I thought the titles were only for inspirational purposes that don't have lasting results. As a former teacher, the only new school name that I have experienced was a "learning center" which is a consolidated school that consist of grades K-12. Looks like CMS system is ahead of most large school districts.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,774,769 times
coped explained it well. University Park Creative Arts School (K-5) and Northwest School of the Arts (6-12) are arts based magnet schools with visual and performing arts concentrations.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,988,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
At least to those who dont know the differance.
unintended irony loller.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Pretty sure that K-5 at University Park all want to be Michael Jordon or Cam Newton. The title in the an elementary school is a bit odd IMHO.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,774,769 times
The name comes from the nearby neighborhood - University Park

Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
The name comes from the nearby neighborhood - University Park

Thanks. I was able to figure that out. I was referring to the "Creative Arts" part.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM

785 posts, read 935,403 times
I think for the most part it is Charter/Magnet schools that have the crazy names otherwise they are just normal middle/high/elementary

If you have school age kids and are interested in the magnet programs/researched them then the names are familiar to you and their meanings otherwise I can see where it would be confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte