U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 AM

10 posts, read 19,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Charlotte in June with my husband, who will work downtown, my 14yo., my 3 yo, and a baby due July 1st.... so I have lots of questions- any or all answered would be great!

1. If money were not an issue-would you choose private HS vs. public?
1.b My teen wants to do the IB program- I have looked at some of the information on the schools that have IB and some of it is pretty scary. low scores and so on. Anyone have experience with this program or with getting into a magnet school after the lottery?
If not the IB program she would love a school

2. I don't really have a clue as to where to relocate. We would love to be within 30 min. commute to downtown, we are looking at 300k or below, nice neighborhood, no fuss house, near a nice YMCA or healthclub, with open minded and welcoming neighbors. We would love to be near a walkable "main street", a nice community park (would a dog park be too much to ask??!!!) o a planned community with a pool and park, a good branch of a public library.

3. I am looking for a dance studio for my teen. hip hop, jazz, ballet AND pointe.

4. Any information on the montessori programs in public school? from what I understand some public schools offer prek schooling in Montessori settings.

5. A birthing center that will accept a low risk 34wk pregnancy. this is preferably a non hospital setting- minimal intervention, home type setting.

Many thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 PM

184 posts, read 397,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoqueencity View Post
1. If money were not an issue-would you choose private HS vs. public?I'm still on the fence about that one - i'm debating homeschooling since I have a lot of concerns about our public school system
1.b My teen wants to do the IB program- I have looked at some of the information on the schools that have IB and some of it is pretty scary. low scores and so on. Anyone have experience with this program or with getting into a magnet school after the lottery?
If not the IB program she would love a school Myers Park has an IB program. It's considered the best public school in CLT, but I know some on here will disagree. I've heard nothing but great reviews from past and current students/parents

2. I don't really have a clue as to where to relocate. We would love to be within 30 min. commute to downtown, we are looking at 300k or below, nice neighborhood, no fuss house, near a nice YMCA or healthclub, with open minded and welcoming neighbors. We would love to be near a walkable "main street", a nice community park (would a dog park be too much to ask??!!!) o a planned community with a pool and park, a good branch of a public library. working downtown, commuting to the north is a nightmare as is the commute to ballantyne. my rec. is to choose central/south CLT, anywhere north of Fairview or just south of it. any further and a 30 minute commute turns into an hour. that includes dilworth, plaza midwood, beverly woods, soutpark, etc

3. I am looking for a dance studio for my teen. hip hop, jazz, ballet AND pointe.JBP entertainment, nc dance theatre

4. Any information on the montessori programs in public school? from what I understand some public schools offer prek schooling in Montessori settings.the demand for public montessori is extremely high. you have preference if you live within 1/4 mile of the school or are within the transportation zone. few openings, lots of applicants

5. A birthing center that will accept a low risk 34wk pregnancy. this is preferably a non hospital setting- minimal intervention, home type setting.i believe there's a new one in ft. mill, there are others, but i'm not sure where

Many thanks.
also, check out charlottemommies.com. you can find great advice there.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 PM

985 posts, read 1,604,232 times
I have a 14yo and 2 in 7th grade:
We live in Union County and my children go to public school at Marvin Ridge
I recently went to the discussion about the IB program as our school has one (not all the schools do)
ours takes about 30-40 kids the kids will stay with each other all day...so basically they won't switch class like most traditional programs, except for their elective. Our school doesn't have scary test score that I know of, I am guessing your focus on the schools may have been in a different area. Actually our school has very good test scores all around. So do high schools like Ardrey Kell and others I just don't which have an IB program.

We are 30 minutes from downtown, many neighborhoods by us have a 300k or less house price, we have very welcoming neighbors and many children in our neighborhood. People are constantly out walking their dogs. Many neighborhoods have a park and pool for the family. I don't know of any dog parks but we don't have any pets.

We joined the CMS library though and the closest branch is less than 10 minutes from us.

Many take dance at Steps 'n Motion and really like it, others at Miller Street.

I can't answer about younger children as we haven't been here even a year yet and birthing centers I also have no response for.

Hope this helps some

Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 PM

135 posts, read 198,686 times
The Carmel and Montibello areas are > 30 minutes from uptown?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM

441 posts, read 1,034,488 times
Take a look at the Park Crossing neighborhood in south Charlotte or the less expensive Cameron Woods...
Otherwise go north of the city. Davidson is great, but probably more than 30minutes for your husband's commute (though he could do park and ride and take the express bus). It is a very walkable community with pretty down to earth people as it is a down to earth liberal college town.

Also, if you are Catholic and interested in Catholic Schools they are good down here and would save you the headache of super high tuition of other private schools and the every changing Charlotte public schools.

Welcome to Charlotte, it is a true family city with a lot to do for kids.

T

Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM

9 posts, read 11,333 times
Look at the Providence Plantation area; the elementary school is the best in the state (Providence Spring), the middle school is great and the high school is one of the best in the state (Providence High). It's also the best in CMS. Myers Park only offers the IB program to students who live in that attendance area and it would be hard to find a decent house in a good neighborhood there for $300k or less. There's a great Y just out the back of Providence Plantation (Siskey Y). The commute is usually right around 30-40 minutes. :-)

Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,880,201 times
If your husband is going to be working downtown I would stay north of Highway #51 in south Charlotte. A commute of 30 -45 minutes doesn't seem too bad until you do it everyday for a year.

Myers Park High School - best IB in Charlotte IMO. The private schools are very good but if your daughter is smart enough for IB you would be wasting alot of $ on private school.

Also, the Harris YMCA is close to the neighborhoods you would choose for Myers Park High.

It will be hard to find an area near a 'walkable Main Street' unless you mean a nice neighborhood with walkable streets. Some of the established neighborhoods in this area have great 'neighborhood' pools and playgrounds, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,252 times
Hi Movingtoqueencity,

We are possibly moving to Charlotte in June, as well and literally everything you stated in #2 on your list is exactly what we're looking for.
Was just wondering if you got any other input regarding those particular questions. We are just starting the search and I really just want to know that we'll be moving somewhere safe.
Did anyone suggest a town with a nice main street/downtown? And is the Siskey Y the only one that was recommended? It seems like 300k can get a really nice house (as opposed to where we live).

Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
My family live in greenville,SC and we are looking to move to Charlotte, nc. I have some viewed some posts and I am more confused than ever. My husband has a job offer near the airport. We used to live in big cities so commuting for work isn't such a concern as finding good schools for our kids who are in elementary school. We like the suburbs because children are involved in sports and we want a kid friendly area, low crime. I have read some posts to stay in SC because cost of living and taxes are cheaper but I am worried about some posts make fort mill and rock hill sound very small. Please advise. We are planning a visit soon but need some direction. Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or