Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Advertisements

my yard is doing ok... great fescue weather right now!

My weeds are mostly under control. Every year I plant new ferns along my front walk. They usually die by the beginning of December at the latest, but they are still green right now. I always pull for them, but they never make it.

I don't have much winter interest in my yard though... we just moved here a couple years ago and it always takes me a few years to get the "feel" for my landscape plan. I have a *really* tough yard though, if anyone has some recommendations I'd love to hear them.

The gist: my front yard is dominated by two mature willow oaks. it's a north facing front yard with a steep (little) drop to the street. It's so shady (and compacted) that I'm having a hard time growing much. I've done a couple "test" plantings, and haven't had much success with azalea, hydrangea, rhodos and even lariope and mosses. The grass gets dried up and browns in the summer when the oaks are drinking up all the moisture and I refuse to irrigate. I need some acid loving plants that will tolerate dense summer shade and competition from the oaks. I also need plants that will keep the compost and bedding from washing off the slope. I'd also like some ideas for winter jazz too...

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
I found a crocus open today!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM

186 posts, read 436,292 times
Some of my neighbors have crabapple trees that recently bloomed, my bee balm is still green, my roses are trying to put on some leaves, and my tea olive shrubs have all sprouted new leaves in addition to their absolutely divine smelling blooms still sticking around since early fall - amazing and strange at the same time.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
Some of my neighbors have crabapple trees that recently bloomed, my bee balm is still green, my roses are trying to put on some leaves, and my tea olive shrubs have all sprouted new leaves in addition to their absolutely divine smelling blooms still sticking around since early fall - amazing and strange at the same time.
Are those the shrubs that have the tiny white flowers and smell like apricots?? I have been searching for those for months!! They do smell divine. I have plans to plant some in my backyard.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
^ ok, I admit, I have almost no idea what any of that means. the only thing that made sense to me was 'weeds'. I have these things growing all over and unfortunately they're spreading over from my neighbors lawn arrgghh! I don't know what it is, any chance u can snap a pic of what you have? I'll see if I can snap a pic on my side.
the only other thing besides leaves are the dang squirrels that dig little holes into my lawn looking for acorns and whatnot. it's killing me, cause I finally got my lawn looking green and filled in some of the dry dirt spots. in the back yard it's no problem, I just shoot the lil bastards, but I can't do that in the front yard.
Well if the weed has white flowers then it's probably chickweed
Chickweed herb uses, pictures, herbal remedy for weight loss

I didn't realise it was a herb!

My parents get a very invasive weed in their front yard but I don't know what it is, but it has small purple flowers. They have more bermuda than fescue whereas we have almost all fescue (and chickweed!)
Like you this is the first time in 3 years that we have had a decent lawn and it wasn't cheap.
I could lend you our cat-she has killed a couple of squirrels and several chipmunks and voles -all burrow-actually not sure squirrels do??

Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Start covering the blubs as colder weather is coming. Some Comelia varieties do flower in winter. Dec. and Jan. good time to walk your yard with spot weed killer (weed-b-gone) to kill off the chick weed and broad leaf that grow in summer and winter. Fescue may be growing so let it grow as softer clay allows root growth. About 4 inches and then trim about 1inch off. Check Out Salisbury Post for the column by Darryl Blackwelder.
This Camelia ususally flowers in mid- March, although last year it was early April.
Have seen some of the Winter flowering camelias recently and I need to get one-they're beautiful!

How can I cover the bulbs up when they're through 4-6 inches all over the place?
Fescue is definitely growing -yee haa.

None of my roses have lost their leaves yet and my parents rose is still flowering.
I also have a hanging basket with petunias in that are still flowering and my Mahonias are getting their lovely fragrant yellow flowers on.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
my yard is doing ok... great fescue weather right now!

My weeds are mostly under control. Every year I plant new ferns along my front walk. They usually die by the beginning of December at the latest, but they are still green right now. I always pull for them, but they never make it.

I don't have much winter interest in my yard though... we just moved here a couple years ago and it always takes me a few years to get the "feel" for my landscape plan. I have a *really* tough yard though, if anyone has some recommendations I'd love to hear them.

The gist: my front yard is dominated by two mature willow oaks. it's a north facing front yard with a steep (little) drop to the street. It's so shady (and compacted) that I'm having a hard time growing much. I've done a couple "test" plantings, and haven't had much success with azalea, hydrangea, rhodos and even lariope and mosses. The grass gets dried up and browns in the summer when the oaks are drinking up all the moisture and I refuse to irrigate. I n

eed some acid loving plants that will tolerate dense summer shade and competition from the oaks. I also need plants that will keep the compost and bedding from washing off the slope. I'd also like some ideas for winter jazz too...

Any suggestions?
I can empathise as we have a huge number of trees, both pines and deciduous, in the front as well as the sharp little slope leading down to the road and have been planting to add some interest and try and prevent the sold erosion
In the Summer we have fairly dense shade in the woodland and our Mahonia hollys (which were there when we moved here) seem to love it, plus, they seem to seed easily as new ones keep appearing! Guess it's the berries. Their flowers have a citrusy smell which I love.
Mahonia Aquifolium - Information and Advice - Garden Care and More | Mahonia.co.uk
They seem to be happy anywhere! I feed them in early spring with erichaceous fertiliser that I use on the azaleas and rhodos.
Other thing might be Nandinas. Again they seem to grow in full sun or shade and we transplanted about 6 from the rear yard into the edge of the bank late last Spring. We watered them every other day for a week and they have been fine. They have berries on in the fall and the leaves turn a lovely red in the winter. They will spread- pretty aggressively too-that's why we moved them!
Nandina domestica

Other things for ground cover on the bank if it gets some sun would be Ajuga, pachysandra,vinca,lily of the valley and hellibores (lenten/christmas roses) all do well and we have succesfully transplanted bits onto the bank/into some of the woodland areas despite sometimes only having a hole about 3 inches deep!

Other things that have grown well from bulbs in the edge of the woodland are caladiums.
Oh,nearly forgot, my dear hostas- I think they will grow pretty much anywhere , and liriope - but that will spread very quickly too.

Yes-very compacted soil and lots of tree roots too.
We plan to rent a cultivator/rotavator in the Spring and create some new beds at the junction of the lawn and woodland up the side of the yard.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:31 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
My lawn is dormant & squishy.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM

378 posts, read 704,528 times
Gosh this thread is written in such a foreign language. My yard, yeah it sucks. Weeds and leaves with grass in between. My Hydrangea bushes are doing great though. I'm going to try to work on it this weekend, before I get too drunk NYE to remember where I live.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
.... I'm going to try to work on it this weekend, before I get too drunk NYE to remember where I live.
I think I love you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte