Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

Because without impending annexation, there would be no sewer system out there. .
This isn't correct. CMUD (why Mecklenburg is in the name) is a county wide operation and supplies water & sewer regardless of whether you are in the Charlotte city limits or not. So this wouldn't be a reason in Mecklenburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
But don't you need to be part of an incorporated city/town to receive water/sewer? I am in unincorporated Meck County and do not.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But don't you need to be part of an incorporated city/town to receive water/sewer? I am in unincorporated Meck County and do not.
For the most part yes... frewroad is operating with some fundamentally wrong misconceptions.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I would encourage anyone who thinks this idea had merit to do some digging. As I've stated before, the entire "debate" is more political posturing than an idea with any real substance, and it demeans the constituency of these elected officials.

I looked back over this thread and I see so many misunderstandings and so much misinformation that the entire premise is really clown-car-silly.

Here's a couple articles to get you started...

Ballantyne community ponders divorce from Charlotte | WCNC.com Charlotte

Ballantyne Corporate Park - Company Information - History

Interesting quote from that^ link: “A high quality mixed use community offering substantial and concentrated opportunities for employment, shopping and a variety of housing types for rent or sale and priced to accommodate all levels of income represented by the large Ballantyne work force.”

I guess that means all levels except low income, lol...

Look folks, everyone gets worked up when you take their money. Heck, I do too. The gripe I have with this concept is that it reeks of a dual-standard. The entire (well-planned) master community capitalized on their impending and rapid annexation into Charlotte to generate the capital to make the whole thing possible. Then, when those tax monies are used to raise the (taxable!!) value of other parts of Charlotte there is this cry of dissatisfaction. A "cry" that really, at it's heart is nothing more than political BS. Any sort of split from Charlotte would be death knell for the economic future of Charlotte and by proxy all the communities that rely on the economic engine... including Ballantyne. Even the president of Ballantyne Corporate has stated his opposition to any sort of split!

If *anyone* can find an opinion of someone other than a politician who thinks this is a good idea and why, please... PLEASE share it. I'd love to read it and find out why.
[quote=wannabeNC;24749203]
Quote:
I would encourage anyone who thinks this idea had merit to do some digging. As I've stated before, the entire "debate" is more political posturing than an idea with any real substance, and it demeans the constituency of these elected officials.

'This issue is just a focal point for frustration around tax allocation. The real issue appears to be frustration on the part of people who are paying higher overall taxes and getting lower overall benefit from the city and county - a sense of taxation without representation. This is a point I can sympathize with. I would have no problem with part of my tax dollars improving inner city schools and infrastructure - but not if my own neighborhood schools are underfunded to the point I feel the need to put my kids in private school and move into a gated neighborhood to feel secure, join a club to have a community pool, or whatever.
Ballantyne is in little need of assistance.... How can you sympathize with the most affluent part of the city for being underfunded? Last time I checked the area is picture book perfect... I don't like paying taxes anymore than they do. I won't be using the red line, be employed for united technologies nor Chiquita banana... You don't see me crapping a brick because my taxes goes towards that. It benefits us all in the long run

Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
For the most part yes... frewroad is operating with some fundamentally wrong misconceptions.
You are wrong.

In Mecklenburg county, when a new subdivision is put in, the developer pays for the water & sewer infrastructure. Most will pay CMUD to run lines to the development though some will put in a private system. In the case of Ballentine, they connected to CMUD right off. It does not matter if the development is in the city of Charlotte or not.

Furthermore, From the CMUD About US webpage

1984 Agreement with six surrounding towns in Mecklenburg County to provide water and wastewater services.
1998 North Mecklenburg Water Treatment Plant completed.
2003 Automated meters in use in North Mecklenburg. Radio signals send the customer's water usage to a computer.

Note "North Mecklenburg". CMUD's service is not limited to the city of Charlotte or areas to be annexed by Charlotte.

-----------------

This is why I would contend there is no advantage to being annexed by Charlotte.

Last edited by frewroad; 06-15-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

1984 Agreement with six surrounding towns in Mecklenburg County to provide water and wastewater services.
2003 Automated meters in use in North Mecklenburg. Radio signals send the customer's water usage to a computer.

Note "North Mecklenburg". CMUD's service is not limited to the city of Charlotte or areas to be annexed by Charlotte.

-----------------

This is why I would contend there is no advantage to being annexed by Charlotte.
Keyword in the 1984 section: towns

It says North Mecklenburg because it also includes Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson.

Ballantyne could've avoided being part of Charlotte by incorporating as its own town before it was annexed. Too late.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Wasn't the General Assembly looking at legislation that would allow burgs to "de-annex" and incorporate? Maybe I am dreaming. Getting old. It happens, lol.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You are wrong.

In Mecklenburg county, when a new subdivision is put in, the developer pays for the water & sewer infrastructure. Most will pay CMUD to run lines to the development though some will put in a private system. In the case of Ballentine, they connected to CMUD right off. It does not matter if the development is in the city of Charlotte or not.

Furthermore, From the CMUD About US webpage

-----------------

What exactly am I wrong about? Your misperceptions, lol?

I work in the land development business in this area, I know *in minute detail* about the process for annexations and utility service. Here's the bottom line:

As a developer your best case scenario is to buy unimproved land near the city's current ETJ, develop it and sell it after annexation provides utility/fire/police/waste collection and other municipal services! That is one of the best ways to ensure maximum profitability, because land in the city is worth more! It's development 101! And that's exactly how Harris and Bissell have made millions and millions in Ballantyne.

Now, as a resident who lives on the edge of the city you may not want annexation. After all, you're already enjoying almost all of the benefits of living in a city, just without city taxes. That's why annexation laws (historically) favored the towns and cities. Recent teabagger movements have provided a veil of sensibility to the anti-annexation crowd, but responsible planning has grown many great cities and raised the quality of life standard for Americans for generations with age-old principles of growth... and those principles run contrary to the gut-punching rhetoric of the anti-tax crowd.

The ugly truth is that the top marginal tax rates in the US have shrunk to near historical lows. If the populace, led by the tea party refuses to raise taxes on top earners the gap has to be made up somewhere!! And guess who absorbs that? If you said "middle class America", then you guessed right. So don't whine and complain about raising taxes when you're shaking your corporate pom-poms, because in essence that's what you are agreeing to... either that or lowering your quality of life standards. Pick one. because if you espouse both you're really just exposing your short-sighted vision.

If you want to tell me how wrong I am, please do. But quoting 4 lines, with no link, out of context, and with no real understanding of the subject matter won't cut it. I've made what I feel are several pretty detailed, concise and cogent arguments outlining my position... I challenge you to do the same. Heck, pick ANY ONE OF MY POINTS and make a counter-argument. If you can muster it. I love debate, and I'm not afraid to say I'm wrong about something or change my mind!

Last edited by Native_Son; 06-15-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wasn't the General Assembly looking at legislation that would allow burgs to "de-annex" and incorporate? Maybe I am dreaming. Getting old. It happens, lol.
Not yet at least. I doubt it would get off the ground. It would be a FAR more cumbersome thing - in terms of writing actual legislation - than the annexation reform that's going on right now. There's no precedent for it (there ARE several city/town mergers that have happened over the last 100 years, but that's the complete opposite), which means that there would be years, possibly decades of pricey legal challenges, tweaking of the laws, and maybe getting the state supreme court involved.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Not yet at least. I doubt it would get off the ground. It would be a FAR more cumbersome thing - in terms of writing actual legislation - than the annexation reform that's going on right now. There's no precedent for it (there ARE several city/town mergers that have happened over the last 100 years, but that's the complete opposite), which means that there would be years, possibly decades of pricey legal challenges, tweaking of the laws, and maybe getting the state supreme court involved.
Thank you so much for taking the time to straighten out my misconception on what might be included in that legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte