Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM

16 posts, read 33,221 times

Advertisements

What is going on with these schools here. I am from Up North & these schools down here are not organize at all.. And the buses OMG Just cant even say!!!
But if you have problems were do you start. I 've been calling and know one never C/B what do a mother do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 02:23 PM

16 posts, read 33,221 times
Default Jobs

Just moved to charlotte were are the good jobs at.....

Old 08-27-2007, 04:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camary2007 View Post

What is going on with these schools here. I am from Up North & these schools down here are not organize at all.. And the buses OMG Just cant even say!!!
But if you have problems were do you start. I 've been calling and know one never C/B what do a mother do...
Looks like when you moved here you didn't fully understand what you were moving into. Are you aware there were 5000 MORE students today than there were on the last day of school in May, just a few months ago? People are moving here in droves, which is their business, but you all need to understand what you are getting into and choose very wisely where you decide to live. You don't have to live in the booming overcrowded areas to get good schools. Considering all that our school system is dealing with, I think they are doing an amazing job - and yes, they are more organized than you think. Keep trying the info numbers, eventually you will get thru. Just remember you are one of MANY trying to do the same thing.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times
My DH just uprooted our entire family and moved us from Charlotte to Ohio because the Charlotte schools are such a hot mess and we were dying paying $50K/year for private school.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
CMS schools have been widely reputed as being disorganized. I live in Meck, but teach in Rowan Less chaos! (but, a long drive) All the areas around Charlotte are growing, but some at a slightly slower pace. At my school (about 400-450 students), we have 3 5th grade teachers (I am one of 'em), and we have had 6 new enrolled 5th graders just last week!
All the school systems were unprepared for the population boom. They are dealing, but it will take time to get it all sorted out. As for CMS, from what I gather, there will not be significant improvements until there is an administration change. Just what I hear!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,841 times
Not looking to bash you, but did you look into the school systems and research what was going on prior to moving? Just a 10 minute search here would have opened your eyes to a lot of the problems the schools are encountering due to the population growth. The Charlotte areas are suffering from a huge increase in growth over a short period of time and much of the areas are unprepared or at least failed to realize what was going on and decided not to be proactive about the growth until it was too late. This is why you see problems with the schools, sewage plants, water, traffic and just about every other infrastructure.
Can I complain about these things? Yes! Will I? No, or at least I will do my best not to as I know that I just recently moved here and I am contributing to the problem. I am sure things will work out when given time but unfortunatly these are not the things you want to hear when your dealing with your kids and their education. But at the same time you can't just blame the area as it is no secret that the schools here are too crowded from the recent growth. If you are new to the area you really need to hold yourself responsible as if you had done your research, than most of the problems you are facing should have came as no surprise.
Again, I apologize if this comes across a little harsh but I am just saying what most people are probably thinking. Good luck and I really do hope you get to resolve most of the issues with your kids school. On a side note, you should look into charter schools as the class sizes are smaller and they focus on the kids more than a regular public school. They are on lottery basis so chances are your kids won't get in this year, and at least in Union the schools do not provide buses to the Charter Schools so transportation is your sole responsibilty.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 PM

245 posts, read 267,670 times
I am so sick and tired of this. Leave CMS alone! We all want lower taxes less traffic GREAT schools, 5000 square foot homes blah blah blah. If you want to help out volunteer at the schools. 40 people a day are moving to Charlotte the school system (building wise) cannot handle it. Look around schools are being built. It's not going to change over night. As stated above do your research. Just moving here and complaining is not going to do anyone any good!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times
Anyone who thinks that the problems with CMS stem from population growth really doesn't know anything about the school system and is buying CMS's BS line trying to cover their own hind ends.

CMS is a HUGE bureaucracy. About 10 years ago they wasted millions of dollars trying to fight and then appeal a lawsuit to end race-based busing. Teachers are the scapegoats for the bureaucracy's total lack of organization or efficiency. For pity's sake, why do you think it made the AP that CMS finally expelled 7 students - the only students expelled from a system of over 100,000 students in five years? There are convicted felons in CMS who aren't expelled. There are students who committed assaults resulting in serious bodily harm who aren't expelled.

The problems with CMS are not new and are not due to a sudden influx of people. They are systemic. THAT's why the citizens of Charlotte finally said, "No" to school bonds and why they finally hired a superintendent from outside of the county.

When the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation chooses one of your high schools as the first one they're going to focus on helping and changing, it's NOT because a lot of people are moving to Charlotte.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM

245 posts, read 267,670 times
we said no to the bonds because of the NBA stadium debate. It was the only way the citizens could smack the politicians back.

The last super was from Maryland I believe. Do not hold me to that I am possibly wrong but he was not from Meck. County that's for sure!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
CMS schools have been widely reputed as being disorganized. I live in Meck, but teach in Rowan Less chaos! (but, a long drive) All the areas around Charlotte are growing, but some at a slightly slower pace. At my school (about 400-450 students), we have 3 5th grade teachers (I am one of 'em), and we have had 6 new enrolled 5th graders just last week!
All the school systems were unprepared for the population boom. They are dealing, but it will take time to get it all sorted out. As for CMS, from what I gather, there will not be significant improvements until there is an administration change. Just what I hear!
What you have gathered is outdated information. We had an "administration" change a year ago when Peter Gorman was hired as our superintendent. In his first year he has made great strides at weeding out bad teachers, principals and chronic problem students. He has a long way to go to accomplish all the goals he as set for himself and CMS, but he is well on the right track and has overwhelming public support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte