Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Indian Trail is good. Keep in mind that since it is further west, the commute on 74 through Monroe going east will take you a bit longer than if you lived in Monroe itself. The stop-and-go through Monroe is time consuming (I go through there on business quite often). If you can deal with that, then Indian Trail would also be a nice option for you.
When we lived in Fayetteville and were going back and forth to Charlotte, we used rte 218 through Polkton, what a great route, avoid all of the traffic and lights on 74! If you go to Indian Trail (great schools, we're loving it here, 2 mos so far) you can easily access 218, especially if you live in the little part of Indian Trail separate from the rest, next to Hemby Bridge (Crismark is the one BIG subdivision here, lots of building going on, and we'd like some more neighbors!) since it's on the same side of 74 as 218 and Polkton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknice View Post
I currently live is S. Florida (for two years) and am already looking to move. I am a professor at a two year school here and saw a job at South Piedmont CC. Just based on some research Polkton seems a bit too country. Is Monroe reasonable or should I look further west for a place to live? Any info would be great. As a side note, I have a child with another on the way and would love to be able to afford an actual house with a yard. Thanks everybody.
If you are hired at South Piedmont, you will find that Polkton is far enough out to have land (i.e., acreage) and close enough to get into Charlotte if you wanted to. It does have a stop light, but if you must be surrounded by big box stores, you won't be happy, but the sprawl that is Charlotte metro will close in soon enough. The trick is to have enough land that you're protected but in a good location in case you want to sell.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,911,845 times
True, but OP already said it is too country for their tastes. :-(

Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times
I considered moving to Polkton as well and my husband and I are both very glad that we didn't. It is very country but they do have stop lights. If you're single, you'd definitely be happier in Monroe. Indian Trail or Matthews would probably be even better, but the commute to Polkton down 74 would get old fast. Actually, for most of my NC experience you can pretty much figure: in the Charlotte region, a 20 mile drive will take you at least 45 minutes or more. I think the close end of Monroe is about 25 minutes to Polkton. I moved to Monroe initially, single with no family in the area ~ if I had it to do over again and I were going to move to this area, I'd move closer to Charlotte. These areas also much more congested though. And Mecklenberg taxes are the highest. When we were house hunting, the lowest taxes were in Concord.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:31 PM

40 posts, read 65,602 times
Default polkton

yes, it is rural. no public transportation. been here for 5 years I'm originally from dc. Monroe is 20 miles away. Wadesboro is6 miles. they just closed down the Walmart there. Wadesboro has more crime then polkton. one restaurant that serves only breakfast and lunch. and dollar general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte