Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,540,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEABO14 View Post
My friends live in Madison Park and their MCM is for sale Madison Park home for sale - 5310 Glenham DR Charlotte, NC
Lovely home, but there's a reason the schools it is assigned to aren't listed (and I hate when realtors do that!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM

37 posts, read 56,183 times
Thanks for the commute advice, Southbound. That's pretty much what we were thinking, but much more specific! We have been told to avoid 77N and 485 at all costs during morning rush hour!

Old 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,360,263 times
That's funny Loves. I noticed the conspicuous absense of the school listing and did some searching and had no luck finding school assignments (specific assignments, not area schools you can try to get into) for just about anything in Madison Park. I really love that neighborhood and that house is amazing. But the thing that stinks about that neighborhood (aside from the questionable school assignments and that's not small), is Tyvola road going through it. It's really seedy looking in places and takes away from the rest of the neighborhood. There are houses on Tyvola in MP going for $109,000. Nothing wrong with that, but I question the wisdom of buying on the high end in there. I IM'd a friend who used to live there and asked if she knew. She wrote back that she only kept in touch with one friend in there and she sends her kids to Catholic schools.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,394,013 times
agreed that it is a nice house in Madison Park but priced high for that area. schools not being listed is a sure sign that it might not be the best assigned schools.

we lived in Mountainbrook for 10+ years and it is a wonderful neighborhood, however Montibello
would really not add any time onto a commute , one would take a different route to reach 485
but Montibello might even be easier than MB.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM

Good point about the lack of school noted in that listing...that's probably why it didn't show up in our real estate search, since the agent narrowed it down to MPH area.
Maybe I should check out Montibello a little more; my first impression was that it was a little too suburban for us, that Mountainbrook was about as car-dependent as we were willing to go...and that it would require the use of 485 for the commute, which we were trying to avoid. Some awfully cool houses there, though.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,540,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
Good point about the lack of school noted in that listing...that's probably why it didn't show up in our real estate search, since the agent narrowed it down to MPH area.
Maybe I should check out Montibello a little more; my first impression was that it was a little too suburban for us, that Mountainbrook was about as car-dependent as we were willing to go...and that it would require the use of 485 for the commute, which we were trying to avoid. Some awfully cool houses there, though.
Mountainbrook and Montibello are very near one another, you should check it out.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,571,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
Thanks for the commute advice, Southbound. That's pretty much what we were thinking, but much more specific! We have been told to avoid 77N and 485 at all costs during morning rush hour!
Soccermama, I was taught this route by a native.
I occasionally have to go to medical appointments on the CMC main campus. I can be parked & in the doctor's office in 50 minutes to an hour, including during rush hour.

I live between 74 & downtown in Kings Mountain. I get onto 74 & switch to 85 at exit 10. I get off of the interstate at exit 27. I turn right & then take a left onto Wilkenson Blvd (so back onto 74). There's a Walgreens on the corner. I stay on 74, cross the Catawba, past the airport, & shortly after passing a place called Dirty South on the right I merge onto 277 & get off at exit 2A, then go a few blocks in local traffic. I reverse the same trip to come home. This is much easier & faster than to swing north on I 85.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-04-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,351,699 times
Charlotte Soccer Academy registration just opened January 1. You may already be all over that but just wanted you to be aware. Good luck on the move!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 AM

Thanks chicago! I'll look at that. Since tryouts are in April or May, I didn't know registration would be so early - unless that's for this upcoming Spring season. We won't be there until after school ends, so they'll stay with their current teams through this season.
Since you knew about it, I assume you have kids who play for CSA? How old are they?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Southbound, since you seem to be a resident traffic expert, could you chime in on this idea: Someone had suggested to us that the Cotswold area would be just as easy as some of the others we were looking at, because you could just hop on 74 to 277 (then I presume follow your previous advice of Wilkinson Blvd, etc.)
Does that make sense to you? We've been to Charlotte many times (have family there), but haven't yet tried any routes during rush hour like we should before committing to a house. It's very different visiting a city vs. planning to live there!
Thanks again for your ever-valuable input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte