U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 AM

37 posts, read 47,147 times

Advertisements

I've been reading your great posts for a while now, anticipating our move to NC, and we now have an official move package, so we'll be househunting this Spring and moving after the school year.
I've been using info from this forum, as well as our own research, to narrow down the choices, but now I have some more specific questions for the experts.

A little background:
My husband's job will be in King's Mountain (an unpleasant commute, I know), but he also travels by air quite a lot, so on average will only drive to King's Mountain 2-3 days a week. We have to split the difference between that commute and the several-days-a-week commute to the Matthews/Pineville area for soccer training for our two boys. They'll both be trying out at the Charlotte Soccer Academy there, so we have to keep that commute under control.
We love mid-century architecture, not too fond of cookie-cutter new construction. We don't mind a house that needs some work, that's what we've always done. So we've narrowed it down to the area that feeds Myers Park High School. Specifically probably Barclay Downs, Sedgefield, Cotswold, Mountainbrook....you get the general idea. Anything we're missing? Or negatives about these areas I may not know about? Our budget is in the 300k - 500K range, depending on the amount of work the house may need. Looking for 3-4 bedrooms, hopefully with rec room or basement that could be one. There seems to be plenty to choose from.

We have 2 boys who will be going into 10th and 8th grades (tough age to move!), and want to try to make it as smooth as possible.
Our high-schooler is an honor student who also has ADHD, so I'm a little concerned about a really big school where he might get lost in the shuffle, but have generally found that if you are in honors classes it's a little easier to get better teachers and more personal attention (not saying that's how it should be - just an observation). Any input into good/bad factors we should be considering in that regard would be great. If it's too overwhelming, we might consider a private school as a last resort.

Our rising 8th grader is also a very good student, should get along well socially in any school, but also is very into band (trombone). The band at his current school is phenomenal, and I would hate for him to lose that momentum. The areas we are looking at mostly feed into Alexander Graham Middle School, but I can't seem to find any info about their band specifically, just about CMS in general. Any info anyone has would be great.
I'm excited to get this ball rolling, and thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,633,103 times
welcome ,
as a mid century architecture lover [ where were you two years ago when we sold our? ha,]
you will find that Charlotte is a little lacking in that area. moderncharlotte.com has a great site
with most mid century houses listed there.
you might want to add the cloisters neighborhood to your search area.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM

Haha...two years ago we were being told that we might move to Shanghai! No MCM houses there at all! I have looked at that site - good stuff. Thanks for the advice; I do check up on the Cloisters, but inventory is pretty low in our price range. Where was the house you sold?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,928,851 times
Montibello is a gorgeous neighborhood that fits all of your criteria. it doesn't scream "Mid-Century" right away but if you drive thru and really look closely at some of the houses, you'll find some gems.

I'd say from the list you've put together, my favorite is Mountainbrook. Particularly in the early spring when the trees make a green canopy over the streets, it's a great place to walk and we're there quite a bit. They also have a great swim club that your sons would definitely enjoy. A great way to make some friends before the school year kicks off.

Congratulations and good luck!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:27 AM

our house was in Sharon Hills, a few homes in there but don't know if any are on the market.
that area is very pretty except the new mcmansions that have ruined the first part of the street.

if you can do more of an atomic ranch you will have better luck in Charlotte , one really have to flsuh out the moderns, I believe you might have some luck in Providence Plantation but the reality is that there is not one neighborhood where moderns are the norm.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,023,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
We love mid-century architecture, not too fond of cookie-cutter new construction. We don't mind a house that needs some work, that's what we've always done. So we've narrowed it down to the area that feeds Myers Park High School. Specifically probably Barclay Downs, Sedgefield, Cotswold, Mountainbrook....you get the general idea. Anything we're missing?
Madison Park. It is the neighborhood located between Park Road and South Blvd. Here is the general location.

madison park charlotte - Google Maps

The price range for homes in this area is $140-$400K roughly. All of the lots are quite large (at least 1/2 acre). The area is extremely close to Park Road Shopping center as well as two Harris Teeter grocery stores. Add South Park Mall to this (5 mins away) and you don't really have to leave the area to shop.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM

not a whole lot, if any , modern homes in Madison park.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks for all of your input - I love this website and I'm grateful for the time people put into helping out us newbies.
I've noticed a couple of cool houses in Montibello, but it might be just out of range for my husband's commute. I think mountainbrook might be the farthest he'd be willing to go in that direction.

We're really torn between walkability (Madison Park, Sedgefield, etc - like you said,not MCM, but still really nice, solid homes and a great area), and big kid and dog-friendly yards (Mountainbrook or The Cloisters, etc.) Obviously we'll have to weigh those two priorities. We have a sort of push-pull between urban and suburban that is probably pretty common.

We also have internationally adopted children who are racially mixed, so want to stay away from areas that are too homogenous to avoid them feeling like they are too conspicuous. I don't know if that's really even an issue in Charlotte, but always something we have to consider.
No real worries about any neighborhoods in those areas, right? They seem quite nice from what we've seen, the only concern perhaps making sure we can tolerate the traffic!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM

21,979 posts, read 27,258,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
Thanks for all of your input - I love this website and I'm grateful for the time people put into helping out us newbies.
I've noticed a couple of cool houses in Montibello, but it might be just out of range for my husband's commute. I think mountainbrook might be the farthest he'd be willing to go in that directiI 85 south to either exiton.

We're really torn between walkability (Madison Park, Sedgefield, etc - like you said,not MCM, but still really nice, solid homes and a great area), and big kid and dog-friendly yards (Mountainbrook or The Cloisters, etc.) Obviously we'll have to weigh those two priorities. We have a sort of push-pull between urban and suburban that is probably pretty common.

We also have internationally adopted children who are racially mixed, so want to stay away from areas that are too homogenous to avoid them feeling like they are too conspicuous. I don't know if that's really even an issue in Charlotte, but always something we have to consider.
No real worries about any neighborhoods in those areas, right? They seem quite nice from what we've seen, the only concern perhaps making sure we can tolerate the traffic!
Your husband's best bet to commute to Kings Mountain is to take 74 west (Wilkenson Blvd) to Belmont. He can then take a right &, in about 2 blocks, get onto I 85 southbound to either exit 10 or exit 8, whichever works best for him.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM

PEABO14,
I was drooling over that house just yesterday! If we weren't looking for 2,000 - 2,500 sf, I'd be all over that! You can get by in the north with basements to finish for rec room space, but not so much in the south.
That is a stunning house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or