U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
Reputation: 14925

Advertisements

The Mecklenburg County jobless rate fell to 9.8% in November, still above the state and national rates. The county rate was down from 10% in October and 10.4% in November 2010.

read more
Mecklenburg jobless rate falls below 10%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Mecklenburg County jobless rate fell to 9.8% in November, still above the state and national rates. The county rate was down from 10% in October and 10.4% in November 2010.

read more
Mecklenburg jobless rate falls below 10%
Well, at least it is falling. Hope that is a trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,607,749 times
Reputation: 3878
Two factors...
people falling off of the roles and part time holiday employment.

It isn't falling for "good reason".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Two factors...
people falling off of the roles and part time holiday employment.

It isn't falling for "good reason".
Yeah, I was thinking that, too, Kitty . . . I guess the figures are seasonally adjusted? Does that mean the part time holiday employees were factored in?

I do personally know folks who have left after being unemployed here for 18 months or longer - and moved to other states for employment opportunities. That takes 'em off the EU rolls - but it doesn't mean there are more jobs. All it means is there are less people here competing for jobs - and fewer folks signing up for unemployment bennies. At least, that is what it says to me.

However, I am hoping that for whatever reasons . . . there are less folks here out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,607,749 times
Reputation: 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that, too, Kitty . . . I guess the figures are seasonally adjusted? Does that mean the part time holiday employees were factored in?

I do personally know folks who have left after being unemployed here for 18 months or longer - and moved to other states for employment opportunities. That takes 'em off the EU rolls - but it doesn't mean there are more jobs. All it means is there are less people here competing for jobs - and fewer folks signing up for unemployment bennies. At least, that is what it says to me.

However, I am hoping that for whatever reasons . . . there are less folks here out of work.
I have started watching this and it appears to me that on Thursday these figures come out and then are followed by/with the "adjusted" numbers.

People get excited that the UE rate is going down, but it is nothing to exciting. It is obvious that jobs aren't flocking back to this country and people surely aren't going back to work....unfortunately.

Just as people got thrilled when they heard that this holidays numbers (sales) were through the roof. Today it is coming out that retailers had to sell most everything at a loss to do that. That was a game and manipulation of the people to feel comfortable to spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
 
277 posts, read 581,147 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Two factors...
people falling off of the roles and part time holiday employment.

It isn't falling for "good reason".
^ +1

This ain't a recession....it's a slow-motion depression!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,787 posts, read 8,431,731 times
Reputation: 4818
I've always had issue (agree with Kitty) on how the numbers are "massaged". It is what it is, though... we all see what is happening.

An interesting aspect of this is that I've noticed a trend of meeting many work from home (WFH) folks living out here in the suburbs. I think we all need to consider this trend as I know that my company is putting a huge emphasis on mobility this year - the idea that many jobs can be done with a broadband connection and a computer shouldn't escape our train of thought when talking jobs overall. I am absolutely not saying that this a trend that will bring the country back to prosperity because it won't... but I am suggesting that if you can do your job from anywhere, you have to think that a metro like Charlotte is much more attractive then many of the other metros throughout the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've always had issue (agree with Kitty) on how the numbers are "massaged". It is what it is, though... we all see what is happening.

An interesting aspect of this is that I've noticed a trend of meeting many work from home (WFH) folks living out here in the suburbs. I think we all need to consider this trend as I know that my company is putting a huge emphasis on mobility this year - the idea that many jobs can be done with a broadband connection and a computer shouldn't escape our train of thought when talking jobs overall. I am absolutely not saying that this a trend that will bring the country back to prosperity because it won't... but I am suggesting that if you can do your job from anywhere, you have to think that a metro like Charlotte is much more attractive then many of the other metros throughout the country.
I agree with your thoughts on the telecommute phenomena. I got my first video cam in 1995 and tried soooo hard to get my clients to agree to less on-site time and more conferencing. I even offered to buy cams for my clients.

The world just wasn't ready for it at that time. In fact, I have continued to push for this simply based on economics - plane flights, hotels, travel time - and until 2010, I just wasn't getting anywhere with my "bright idea" lol. Finally, this last year . . . people are coming around. The client I have had the longest association with - 12 years now - FINALLY came around and we have our first video conference this next Monday!

I think your point is well-made and an interesting factor to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top