U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,251,553 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Well we have put our business on the market, will be visiting NC next week and again in Nov scouting areas. So far, from our friends opinion and the fact that they are moving to Denver, that seems to be the general area that we are looking for.

Anyhow, we will be doing a change of careers also. Dh has his batchelors in IT and is hoping to get a job teaching it. Does anyone know the requirements for teaching ; any grade at all in or around the Charlotte area?

I am hoping to get into real estate appraisels ; thinking of trying to get a job in a bank or so.

Any ideas, opinions or general statements.

Thanks
dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,088 times
WHere do you want to teach, if at the local colleges I would suggest you go to their individual websites to see the requirements but most likely to be a collge prof you need a Masters Degree-

As for the public schools, search this links.

http://teach4nc.org/

Old 09-12-2006, 09:26 AM

915 posts, read 2,311,486 times
As far as real estate appraisal, you might want to google "NC Appraisal Board", they can give you lots of good information regarding becoming an appraiser. It's not easy if you are just starting out, there are a lot of classes you will have to take plus time you must spend as an apprentice (1 1/2 to 2 years) where your salary will likely not be very good. It's something I began studying for last year until it became apparent I couldn't take the salary cut I'd need to in becoming an apprentice appraiser. Plus, in my area (Asheville) there is a dearth of licensed appraisers willing to take on apprentices (their future competition). Not sure how that is in the Charlotte area, but it's probably a little easier there. If you're already an appraiser in another state, the rules vary depending on what state you are from as to if you will have reciprocity here and if any further requirements will be necessary.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,116,135 times
Hi Dorothy,

I am not sure how far in depth they teach computer courses at the Public schools ( my son is just now starting school). Your husband could try UNC Charlotte, I believe they have a strong computer program.

As far as Denver it is a great place, be wary though it is going through the big development boom so if you do not like to be "in the middle" of it all make sure you know what is planned etc for your area of interset.

If you have any questions please let me know,

Thanks and Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,251,553 times
Hi there
Thank you for the links and advice. Can I ask what the salary for a appraisel assistant is?

Dh will check into unc.

Thanks again
dorothy

Old 09-12-2006, 02:24 PM

915 posts, read 2,311,486 times
No idea on exact salary. That is dependent on how many you can do. The instructor though, who was a longtime appraiser said on basic home appraisals he would charge $300-$400 per appraisal. He did say that as an apprentice, you might get 20-30% of that, depending on the generosity of your trainer. It's also not necessarily going to be money you can count on he also said. As a trainee you would probably not go out and appraise four or five homes a week like a fully licensed appraiser would. It just didn't seem like it would be very lucrative until you'd been at it for a while and were running your own business. I looked at it as something I could take classes for on the weekends (as they are offered in Asheville), and then start as a trainee on weekends, while still working my full time job during the week. He said that it probably wouldn't work out that way, that I would need to be available all week long if lucky enough to get taken on as an apprentice.

As I said, this is based on the Asheville market, which is likely somewhat different than it is in Charlotte. Our home prices here are more expensive than Charlotte's, however.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:10 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,088 times
you can search salary.com and it will give you the low, mid and high salary for certain jobs but remember other factors play into salary too - location of the job, your experience and skill set but it will give an an idea of what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or