U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:13 PM

237 posts, read 776,190 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been here for two months. I had a position before we came but she didnt. It took her 2 months to finally get a position. She had sent out 50-100 resumes, had a few interviews, and finally got a position. Alot depends on going for things that you might not normally do. Or getting something temp to perm which she had also went thru but didnt get anything. There are thousands of peope relocating here, so there is more competition for the jobs that are currently there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 08:35 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,800,298 times
Default Networking is key

I moved here two months ago from NYC, but lined up my job in legal through someone I know. I really was looking to transfer to Raleigh, but after my company told me what they will be knocking off my salary and the possibility of not getting a raise for a couple of years was sickening. Haven't put in 12 years in the banking business and take such a loss was not a possibility. I contacted several other companies and headhunters and was told that my salary range was too much for their market. (note: I was willing to go down 10,000 dollars). That's when I considered Charlotte. Hey! It's just 2 1/2 hours away from family. I built my strategy while still employed in NYC by contacting those same people who we did business with that had a division in Charlotte. It was simple--one call from a partner in NYC to the Charlotte branch and my resume landed on the top of the pile. I now work in Real Estate at a lawfirm. From banking to legal--it's all real estate. They took off $3,000 from my salary, which is a drop in the bucket. Nevertheless, I met plenty of transplants in my development who told me that they have been looking for months.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:19 PM

462 posts, read 1,685,238 times
Do you have a NC Address, e-mail or phone number listed on your resume and cover letter? I know I was looking for a job for months from NY and rarely got as much as a call back, but once I used my NC address, phone number and my carolina.rr e-mail, I had landed two interviews my first day here and was offered jobs that very same day for both. One was a contract job while the other was full time, so of course I went with the full-time and my field by far is prob one of the toughest to get a job in the Charlotte market. I do consider myself very lucky but at the same time I think employers are looking for local contact info as I am sure more than a handful have been burned by people with the hopes of moving but backed out at the last minute. I know when I was still in NY looking for people to hire to fill my position I sometimes overlooked out of state resumes simply because I needed to fill the spot rather quickly and could not wait a month or two to fill the spot as most of them where planning to move in those time frames. If you do not have any of these you may want to look into using a friends address as a start so they at least think you may be local. Good luck because I know how much trying to find a job can be torture and very stressful. Try Craigslist too in your job search.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM

348 posts, read 318,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Do you have a NC Address, e-mail or phone number listed on your resume and cover letter? I know I was looking for a job for months from NY and rarely got as much as a call back, but once I used my NC address, phone number and my carolina.rr e-mail, I had landed two interviews my first day here and was offered jobs that very same day for both. One was a contract job while the other was full time, so of course I went with the full-time and my field by far is prob one of the toughest to get a job in the Charlotte market. I do consider myself very lucky but at the same time I think employers are looking for local contact info as I am sure more than a handful have been burned by people with the hopes of moving but backed out at the last minute. I know when I was still in NY looking for people to hire to fill my position I sometimes overlooked out of state resumes simply because I needed to fill the spot rather quickly and could not wait a month or two to fill the spot as most of them where planning to move in those time frames. If you do not have any of these you may want to look into using a friends address as a start so they at least think you may be local. Good luck because I know how much trying to find a job can be torture and very stressful. Try Craigslist too in your job search.
Moderator cut: solicitation Get a NC address and phone number! I agree 100% with you!!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-04-2007 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: solicitation

Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 AM

285 posts, read 970,083 times
Well he has two potential interviews this week. So we are hoping!

And we always used a Charlotte address (my dad lives here) and recently of course our own since we moved here in April.

So again, just fingers crossed and hope something comes up soon!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
I moved here two months ago from NYC, but lined up my job in legal through someone I know. I really was looking to transfer to Raleigh, but after my company told me what they will be knocking off my salary and the possibility of not getting a raise for a couple of years was sickening. Haven't put in 12 years in the banking business and take such a loss was not a possibility. I contacted several other companies and headhunters and was told that my salary range was too much for their market. (note: I was willing to go down 10,000 dollars). That's when I considered Charlotte. Hey! It's just 2 1/2 hours away from family. I built my strategy while still employed in NYC by contacting those same people who we did business with that had a division in Charlotte. It was simple--one call from a partner in NYC to the Charlotte branch and my resume landed on the top of the pile. I now work in Real Estate at a lawfirm. From banking to legal--it's all real estate. They took off $3,000 from my salary, which is a drop in the bucket. Nevertheless, I met plenty of transplants in my development who told me that they have been looking for months.
Just goes to show you; it's really not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.
(I'm not implying that you don't have the experience and/or knowledge for your job, just observing how important networking really is.)

Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM

515 posts, read 906,584 times
If you are already here, there is some hope. It looks like the flood of people from CA, FL, NJ, and MA will be slowing quickly....the rapidly declining housing market in those areas should take care of it...

Old 09-04-2007, 02:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,162,963 times
Two masters degrees here and it took me about 6 months to get a job. When I was in DC I had people calling me daily for interviews.

Its VERY hard to get a job down here.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM

928 posts, read 3,531,852 times
Degree's are not as important as work experience here in Charlotte.

Up north degree's are custom and expected, here work experience is what get's you places, and a bonus is who you know or who your parents know.
Some business are very political. Many large corporations are yankee friendly, alot of mom and pop business are sick of the yankee invasion and may look negatively upon that.

Neoflex - good luck I know you've been hanging in there for quite sometime.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,154,343 times
I would disagree with this. In my job and my DH's job we both have to have the degrees in our field to even step foot in the door.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Degree's are not as important as work experience here in Charlotte.

Up north degree's are custom and expected, here work experience is what get's you places, and a bonus is who you know or who your parents know.
Some business are very political. Many large corporations are yankee friendly, alot of mom and pop business are sick of the yankee invasion and may look negatively upon that.

Neoflex - good luck I know you've been hanging in there for quite sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or