U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:45 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,312 times

Advertisements

I just want to put my 2 cents in on the " to degree or not degree" debate. Ultimately, the one thing a degree on your resume tells an employer about you, is that you have been educated, not just in the subject matter, but that you have been instructed on how to think critically and communicate your thoughts, both verbally and in writing.

It doesn't even always matter what the degree is in, a liberal arts degree ensures you have honed the most important skills an employee will ever have, the ability to think and write well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 02:58 PM

3,901 posts, read 4,617,866 times
I've told our story many times on these boards, but my husband and I moved here from New Jersey with no jobs. I did have two interviews lined up though - one with a law firm and another with a recruiter (I'm a secretary by trade). The law firm interview was a referral from a friend of mine, so I had an "in" of sorts to that position. I interviewed for both on a Thursday and Friday got two calls - the law firm with an offer and the recruiter with a job interview lined up that paid my requested salary (which she originally claimed I'd NEVER get). I told the recruiter I was accepting the law firm position and started at the law firm the following week.

My husband did RE the first nine months we were here (that was what he did in NJ) and then opted to go back into the workforce. Sent out some resumes over the course of a couple weeks, and got a nibble which turned into an interview which turned into an offer. At a GREAT salary that was completely unexpected. And this despite not being active in web design for the 3-4+ years he did real estate.

So yes, it can happen and did for us.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:31 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,621,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I've told our story many times on these boards, but my husband and I moved here from New Jersey with no jobs. I did have two interviews lined up though - one with a law firm and another with a recruiter (I'm a secretary by trade). The law firm interview was a referral from a friend of mine, so I had an "in" of sorts to that position. I interviewed for both on a Thursday and Friday got two calls - the law firm with an offer and the recruiter with a job interview lined up that paid my requested salary (which she originally claimed I'd NEVER get). I told the recruiter I was accepting the law firm position and started at the law firm the following week.

My husband did RE the first nine months we were here (that was what he did in NJ) and then opted to go back into the workforce. Sent out some resumes over the course of a couple weeks, and got a nibble which turned into an interview which turned into an offer. At a GREAT salary that was completely unexpected. And this despite not being active in web design for the 3-4+ years he did real estate.

So yes, it can happen and did for us.

That's my experience with these recruiters too. They are always trying to chew you down in salary. Stick to your guns.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
I just want to put my 2 cents in on the " to degree or not degree" debate. Ultimately, the one thing a degree on your resume tells an employer about you, is that you have been educated, not just in the subject matter, but that you have been instructed on how to think critically and communicate your thoughts, both verbally and in writing.

It doesn't even always matter what the degree is in, a liberal arts degree ensures you have honed the most important skills an employee will ever have, the ability to think and write well.

They may know how to read and write but I've worked with some that can't match a purchase order to an invoice. The critically thinking part is up for debate. A degree does not mean a smart worker or a good work ethic. I think years of well rounded experience and good references beats someone fresh out of college. That's just my 2 cents though.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 11,134 times
Default Nurse, RN

How is the healthcare field in Charlotte? Soon to be a RN and wanting to move to Charlotte. Any advice or opinions on hospitals? Salaries? Cost of living? Houses? Schools? Communities/neighborhoods?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:28 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6auggies View Post
How is the healthcare field in Charlotte? Soon to be a RN and wanting to move to Charlotte. Any advice or opinions on hospitals? Salaries? Cost of living? Houses? Schools? Communities/neighborhoods?
You've got a ton of options. We seriously do not have one bad hospital here - they are all excellent. What kind of nursing are you most interested in doing? For instance if you are interested in pediatrics we have the new Jeff Gordan Children's Hospital at Northeast Medical Center (CMC - NorthEast :: Jeff Gordon Children's Hospital (broken link)), Levine Childrens Hospital at Carolinas Medical Center ( Levine Children's Hospital at Carolinas Medical Center - Charlotte, North Carolina ) or Hemby Children's Hospital at Presbyterian Hospital (Health Services | Presbyterian Hemby Children's Hospital). Our two main hospitals are the big uptown Carolinas Medical Center (for trauma) and Presbyterian Hospital. But they have satellite hospitals all around the city. Expect to pay at least $800 for a two bedroom apartment (if you want to be safe). I would say look for the job first, then depending on where it is, look for a place to live - there are nice areas all around. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,148,443 times
That may be true for some fields, although I am not sure why anyone would pursue a degree to work at a job that didn't require one.

I do know that some of my friends have gone as far as they possibly can in their offices because moving any higher up requires at least a BA. I have a dear friend who watched a new hire with a Drama degree advance beyond him rather quickly because he didn't have the min. requirements for the job.

I am not really sure why this is up for debate though. If you don't care to have a job that requires a degree and you have no desire to get one, don't. For me personally, I would feel more insecure in my options without one.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
They may know how to read and write but I've worked with some that can't match a purchase order to an invoice. The critically thinking part is up for debate. A degree does not mean a smart worker or a good work ethic. I think years of well rounded experience and good references beats someone fresh out of college. That's just my 2 cents though.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:20 PM

22 posts, read 74,073 times
The primary industry in Charlotte, NC is banking. If this is your career field you should be able to find employment easily.

There are online job sites such as: Monster.com, career-builder.com,jobseeker.com, theladders.com,sixfigurejobs.com

This list should be helpful for you.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:39 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,764,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post

Not necessarily. Often times an employer will take experience over a degree. A degree is more important in the white collar world though.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
That may be true for some fields, although I am not sure why anyone would pursue a degree to work at a job that didn't require one.

I do know that some of my friends have gone as far as they possibly can in their offices because moving any higher up requires at least a BA. I have a dear friend who watched a new hire with a Drama degree advance beyond him rather quickly because he didn't have the min. requirements for the job.

I am not really sure why this is up for debate though. If you don't care to have a job that requires a degree and you have no desire to get one, don't. For me personally, I would feel more insecure in my options without one.

Dawn

I'm not debating anything. I was just saying they ask for a degree in my field most of the time but I don't have one. I do have experience and I usually don't have trouble finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or