Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 AM

26 posts, read 78,653 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else notice everything in this thread except the last 3-4 posts was from 2007? Althought the title of it applies even more so today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 33,015 times
Yes, it is a very tough market. I have been out of work over a year, just got an offer last Thursday. Thank God!

I would encourage him to pray, and continue to look. A suggestion, if he has a company that he would like to work for, volunteer for that company. That is what helped me get my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
Wow, we have been here since April and it is hard to find a job! In Florida my husband was constantly recruited for jobs. Here we can't even get an interview!

He even called some recruiters in FL to see if they can help and they said that Charlotte is a tough place to be hired. One of them did get him an interview so fingers crossed.

Any of you having trouble? I have never seen anything like this in a big town! And yes, he more than meets the requirements and is not asking for a huge salary because we already know that here is less than Florida.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
I have been here in Charlotte for 7 years and unemployed for almost 4. I have never had a problem getting a job until I came here. What gives? Looks like after the new year I will have to relocate. You can not make it here without a job.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxs525 View Post
You can not make it here without a job.
Isn't that true of any city? (Well, I take that back. Entitlement cities like NYC are exempt from my staement)

Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,276 times
Quote:
I have been here in Charlotte for 7 years and unemployed for almost 4. I have never had a problem getting a job until I came here. What gives? Looks like after the new year I will have to relocate. You can not make it here without a job.
This is akin to those who quote today's food prices in Charlotte then say "Food was cheaper when I lived in _____ 5 years ago".

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
You have to treat job searching as a full-time job in itself.
That's the truth. When I was looking I hit it early every morning just like I would if I was going to work.
I worked at it all day long.

But it paid off. There's (at least) one job waiting for you out there. Just have to dig through the rest to find it.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Once again I am curious as to why people move somewhere without getting a job first or at least getting an honest vibe for the job market? NC's unemployment rate is #5 in the US!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Once again I am curious as to why people move somewhere without getting a job first or at least getting an honest vibe for the job market? NC's unemployment rate is #5 in the US!
If she has lived here for 7 and unemployed for 4, logic states that she lost her job while she was already here.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Isn't that true of any city? (Well, I take that back. Entitlement cities like NYC are exempt from my staement)
Two words: North Dakota

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM

348 posts, read 846,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm not sure people who want to relocate here really truly understand just how hard it is to find a job here. They may think it's the Promised Land and don't realize there are not enough jobs to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte