Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
. Are there any other types of social networking sites besides this one? I didn't find too many in my search.

THe best part of this social networking site are our Sat. nite dances at the American Legion Hall. Aside from bowling we have every other site beat hands down.

Aw, just kidding. Welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,272,813 times
I would still go for south Park over Ballantyne - insignificant commute and if you like the area - the schools are excellent. It is true that being interfaith is a non-issue in Charlotte. You would also be closer to the city for cultural amenities.
(btw, my uppercase "s" is broken)

Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
(btw, my uppercase "s" is broken)
You're going to need to start a separate thread for that. I'm sure plenty of people will know a dentist to fix the problem.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM

152 posts, read 290,462 times
Hi Holler
I am relocating too from Long Island to Charlotte this summer. We have visited NC several times and are looking into South Charlotte/ Matthews/Waxhaw areas.
Good luck with your move!!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 PM

16 posts, read 19,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
THe best part of this social networking site are our Sat. nite dances at the American Legion Hall. Aside from bowling we have every other site beat hands down.

Aw, just kidding. Welcome.
Thank you. I imagine this is similar to what hazing would have been like had I joined a sorority.

I ask because Long Island has a very great social networking site to meet other Long Islanders. I've met my book club on this site and I was wondering if something like that exists for Charlotte though I do enjoy bowling.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM

16 posts, read 19,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
Hi Holler
I am relocating too from Long Island to Charlotte this summer. We have visited NC several times and are looking into South Charlotte/ Matthews/Waxhaw areas.
Good luck with your move!!
Thank you, you too!

Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Where are you from on LI? Many of us ex-pats down here.

A recon trip is something you should try to do as it will help tremendously. I'd second the Southpark and Ballantyne areas as great places to find what you want as a start. Especially when you consider where your husband will be working.

pink's offer aside (admit I snorted at that post), try to hook up with a good RE agent who can take you around and show you the ropes. There are several regulars on this board who can help, as well. The best advice I can give is log the time and research your options - just driving around the area will give you ideas and that will help others help you narrow it down further. Try to imagine you advising a couple you don't know where to rent/live on LI with very little info. It's difficult.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM

407 posts, read 846,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
We will be renting first. We'd like to not commit to anything until we learn the neighborhoods but hope to rent near where we would buy.
I believe renting first is the smartest course of action. Would require a 2nd move but a small price to pay after you really know what neighborhood you want to live in. You may rent in an area that might not fit your needs, but then it is not a large imvestment like buying in an area that you find you do not like.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Where are you from on LI? Many of us ex-pats down here.

pink's offer aside (admit I snorted at that post)
In hind site you can't imagine how much I snorted at my idea. I'm still cleaning up the coffee off my desk.lol

Just thinking about a LIer giving me $500 for advise when he can get it "for free" here is laughable. lolololollol

Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM

152 posts, read 290,462 times
Commack, long island resident here...can't wait to move to NC!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte