Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times

Advertisements

not from NYC, but I think it is vastly overrated...weather's not great, traffic sucks, crowds anywhere you go, ridiculous tolls, pretty dirty, certainly not immune from crime, taxes and cost of living obviously, too many Yankees fans

just to name a few

I've asked this before, but I'm curious to know how many people that moved to Charlotte actually lived in NYC itself. Looks like BrooklynQueenBee is one...and I think I have heard other people say they were from Brooklyn. But contrary to what the OP seems to indicate, Nassau County is not NYC. I don't think many people that liked living in Manhattan would enjoy Charlotte too much, but I think a lot of those from North Jersey, Long Island, etc. often would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
not from NYC, but I think it is vastly overrated...weather's not great, traffic sucks, crowds anywhere you go, ridiculous tolls, pretty dirty, certainly not immune from crime, taxes and cost of living obviously, too many Yankees fans

just to name a few

I've asked this before, but I'm curious to know how many people that moved to Charlotte actually lived in NYC itself. Looks like BrooklynQueenBee is one...and I think I have heard other people say they were from Brooklyn. But contrary to what the OP seems to indicate, Nassau County is not NYC. I don't think many people that liked living in Manhattan would enjoy Charlotte too much, but I think a lot of those from North Jersey, Long Island, etc. often would.

I don't live in Nassau or Suffolk county. Far from it and I think "most" transplants are from there or upstate NY. I doubt seriously that when we speak of "New Yorkers" that have or are moving they come from one of the five boros or Westchester County.(meaning very small %)

Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM

152 posts, read 292,269 times
To answer your first post...
My husband and I both have successful careers, make a very good income, have family in NY, not afraid of illegals,mother-in-laws,etc. We live in a safe, upper class area, great schools, big property.
Simply The big apple has lost its shine for me. I never thought I would leave my city but it's no longer my city. Sure...it looks great in the movies and on TV. But when you need to get around manhattan...well that when the fun begins. Hop on a NYC subway....wow..can u smell the urine??how about the body odor during the summer? Ok let's catch a cab...hope you have a lot of $$$ in your pocket. Well, let's drive in!! Pay the ever increasing tolls on bridges and tunnels and within a few short hours because of heavy traffic, you are finally on the city. Now, park the car. Meters are now $2 for 20 minutes or try a garage at $50 for the evening.
You'll also have to endure the rude, reckless drivers who WILL honk the very second the light turns green.
The added addition of heavily armed military presence thanks to 9/11 gives a very eerie feel to what was once a great city.
Oh..I havent even discussed taxes...average taxes in the suburbs is around $15,000 a year. New development one block from my house now offers 4 bedroom homes with. 24,000 in annual taxes. Why??
Why would anyone miss this?
What will I miss when I leave? Pizza and getting to the stadium to watch the Yankees! I'll just visit though.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 AM

149 posts, read 275,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs1017 View Post
We know, we know and we are SO happy! I love when New Yorkers move back because it just reinforces that they don't belong here where people are laid back and like to enjoy what the south has to offer!! Pretty pathetic you move back up north and yet you still "troll" sites related to Charlotte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry
I would be curious to hear from those who went back why.

that would be me
I'm researching for a project I'm doing since we have moved back...but you can call me a troll if you want- that's fine

Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
I'm not from NYC but I lived in Brooklyn for a few years and it's just too damn expensive. If you have a great job or don't mind living in a box NYC is cool...

but if you want to live and enjoy the money you work for NYC is a hard place to do it.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 AM

162 posts, read 401,106 times
I'm from northern NJ, short train ride to the city. For me and my wife it was affordability. It's too expensive in NJ. You get more house, lower property tax, it doesn't cost you a weeks pay to commute anywhere down here. Car insurance is cheaper. Overall we are able to provide a better life for our children here than in NJ. The weather is so much better here too. I miss the food, I miss my family and friends, but we go up twice a year to visit and stock up on goodies, and they come down 2 or 3 times a year to visit. I wouldn't move back.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
Greatest City??? According to whom? I was born and raised in Queens, NY. Best neighborhood possible. Had money, friends, great paying job and all the crap that is supposed to make a man happy. I left at 37 years old and kick myself for not doing it sooner. Keep all of it!!! I live in the Charlotte area and have for 7 years. This place is awesome. The only problem with North Carolina is the former Northerners that come here and try to change things. Leave it alone! We did a hell of a job of ruining our hometown, don't come down here and freak it all up. If ya need to go...? See ya! Don't go away mad, JUST GO AWAY. Oh, and take some other former Northerners with you, PLEASE!
Enjoy the traffic, taxes, short life span, failing marriages, kids smoking crack, and the rest. If you can't see the incredible potential in this State, you shouldn't be allowed to stay.

To my former NY brothers and sisters... Keep calm and carry on! Write letters back home encouraging friends and family to stay there. Tell them it's horrible down here, too many Rednecks!
In the meantime, I will go back to hanging out on my porch swing, cleaning my "legal" handguns, smoking my cigar and loving my wife and my life. Maybe I should cut down on the caffeine? Ain't got notin' but love for ya Carolina... notin' but love. Thanks for letting us in, now close the damn door. NO VACANCY!
This is JACK and I'm off... trippin

Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Since we're on this thread, one must distinguish where exactly there from. Many people don't understand that NJ is a totally different world than NYC.

Also, if you break it down even further, NYC is considered Manhattan by many. The outer boroughs (ie Bronx/Queens/etc) are a different world (good or bad)

That's why one on the outside looking in might get confused w/all these different opinions...

Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,011 times
Born and raised in the Bronx....never left NYC until I moved down here. I always wanted to own a home and knew I couldn't ever afford one in NY...so that was the #1 reason for moving down here. I have 2 girls...and schools are way better and IMO...safer down here. Parking sucks BIG time in NY. I got a parking ticket every other day for dumb stuff. No matter how clean you keep your apartmennt...there's always a pig next to you bringing roaches and mice into your apt. Car insurance is sky high....believe it or not...I paid $500 a MONTH for car insurance....and it wasn't even a fancy, new car!!

So I guess I can safely say that a home, better education, cheaper car insurance, cleaner air were factors in us moving down. I miss NYC terribly...but mostly the convenience of things...like walking to the grocery store even at 3am if I needed milk, not needing a car and being able to rely on public transportation to take me wherever my heart desired...being able to make a doctor appt for 7am or 6pm.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
^^^^^may I ask.....what kind of work did you do ("had") in NY and what kind of work do you do now?

answer only if you care to....of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte