U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:20 AM

41 posts, read 166,982 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on Gaston County? What is the area like? How are the schools? It seems like the taxes are a little more but the home prices are a little less?? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:00 AM

928 posts, read 3,532,295 times
What are specifically are you looking for? The schools within the city limits can be iffy. I'd be happy to help if you can be more specific. I also have the GIS Link if you have an address you know of i can look it up for you.

Good luck on your move. There are many nice areas in Gaston County, just not within the Gastonia City LImits as far as my opinion goes.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:39 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,646,872 times
IMO the county, especially the Belmont/Mt. Holly area, is very underated. I know many people that love living there. The eastern side of the county is a short commute to Charlotte.

Recent thread - McAdenville/Mt. Holly/Belmont

Gaston county has a little bit of everything. Some parts of the county are very rural. Some parts are very upscale. You can find small,old mill homes to expensive estate homes. The schools in the east and southeast are considered the best in the county. IMO, there are some nice areas in Gastonia such as the area near Gaston Day School, the Historic York Chester neighborhood and neighborhoods near Belmont/Cramerton.

Here is a 5000 sq. ft. home for sale in Gastonia. List price - $695,000. MLS - 680767
Quote:
A wonderful estate! Hidden adjacent to Monticello Woods and on 7 acreswith a pond, inground pool, tennis courts, greenhouse, large covered patio, rec room with bar, 2 FP and just too many features to list
Here is another on 2.41 acres List price - $$634,900. MLS - 673148
Quote:
Gorgeous Estate, it shows so well! Tastefully renovated and redecorated, three car garage, new patio, wood and ceramic floors, granite counterrops in kitchen, all new stainless appliances, new carpet, paint, beautiful landscaping on wooded lot, this is one you want to show- your buyers will love it!!!!!! Call for a list of all the renovations.
Here is one in a highly desired school district -List price $309,900. MLS - 694550
Quote:
Great floor plan w/all 4 bedrms on one level plus bonus rm upstrs. Hardwd flrs thruout greatrm, dining and kitchen. Ceramic tile in bathrms. Gorgeous custom cabinetry in greatrm, breakfast area & kitchen. Granite counters. Brushed nickel & recessed lighting. Trey ceiling, sitting area & whirlpool tub in master. Walk-in storage. Dry Pro environmental control system. Large front porch. Culdesac.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:31 AM

7 posts, read 22,528 times
I'm looking to move to gastonia, but unsure where the good neighborhoods are for around 140,000-150,000(max we can spend right now). I know Roberson and WA Bess schools are the bettes ones. What about New HOpe Elementary? Does anyone know about First Freewill Baptist school?
Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 PM

New Hope Elementary is an excellent public school.

I beleive First Freewill Baptist school has a good reputation, however, I don't have any first hand experience with that school. Feel free to PM me if you have direct questions I can answer for you. I lived in Gastonia city limits for 8 years.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:28 PM

616 posts, read 1,566,562 times
Hi,

I'm also very interested in Gaston County and Gastonia. My budget for a home purchase would be between $80,000 and $135,000 - my husband and I refurbish fixer-uppers and want a few acres as well. No children so we're not concerned about schools, just the commute for me to Uptown Charlotte.

Any advice, or recommendation of a savvy agent who understands 1) not everyone is coming from a situation where they can afford a couple of hundred thousand for a home and 2) sub-divisions are *not* rural living ... would be great.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 22,528 times
Thanks for your response. I am looking around at different neighborhoods and most of them are just out of our price range. I went down Neil Hawkins road to Parkside Friday, but they are not in the 3 schools I would have my child attending. It is just overwelming trying to get preschool, house and making sure we are in a good district for elementary. I am thinking about filling out the charter school application just in case. Do you know of any nice neighborhoods around these schools that I can check out?
I dont know how to PM you. Im new and still learning

Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Hi,

I'm also very interested in Gaston County and Gastonia. My budget for a home purchase would be between $80,000 and $135,000 - my husband and I refurbish fixer-uppers and want a few acres as well. No children so we're not concerned about schools, just the commute for me to Uptown Charlotte.

Any advice, or recommendation of a savvy agent who understands 1) not everyone is coming from a situation where they can afford a couple of hundred thousand for a home and 2) sub-divisions are *not* rural living ... would be great.

Thanks!
Your explanation is not totally clear, but the opportunity to do business in Gastonia is do able. There are plenty of charming homes in your price range.
Be your own agent. Go online and look at properties, look at craigslist, look at for sale by own, avoid some places with the horribly high markup, which are usually flippers. You can do this, your commute uptown via the Wilkinson Blvd would be about 30-40 minutes on a normal day, on the interstates, you could probably save time off because you wouldn't have traffic stops and the temptation to speed alittle exists. I would skip the agent, do the work yourself, you have no kids so you should have some uninterrupted time to spare save yourself money that way, do a for sale by owner, spend some saturdays driving aroun neighborhoods, drop in on open houses, check out the areas and get your ideas. I found with agents they push you because they have a seller and they need to make a sale, so it's going to be what they have and need to push. Look for some estate houses where the family is selling due to death and they need the house sold, or something like that, they usually aren't as complication as someone whose say a lawyer and trying to get every dime out of the value of the place.

Good luck with your project. PM me if I can help you.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchw View Post
Thanks for your response. I am looking around at different neighborhoods and most of them are just out of our price range. I went down Neil Hawkins road to Parkside Friday, but they are not in the 3 schools I would have my child attending. It is just overwelming trying to get preschool, house and making sure we are in a good district for elementary. I am thinking about filling out the charter school application just in case. Do you know of any nice neighborhoods around these schools that I can check out?
I dont know how to PM you. Im new and still learning
I hate to sound negative about the charter school but the neighborhood surroiund it is not very nice, many of the properties are old and not well taken care of. The public schools that service the children in these neighborhoods are run down and serve alot of impoverished kids. So, this is why there is an impacted on the neighborhoods and why the better public schools have higher price tags for the houses in that schools region. We just went through this situation for the past 2 years. I continued to live in my subpar rental house and paid for private elementary school out of my own pocket, this years I declared things had to change. Fortunately they did, but we were strapped with the costs of everything. Moviging isn't cheap.

People will tell you, go ot the board of education and tell them this or that and that's why you don't want our child in HH BEam but demand they get put in Robinson or WA BESS, this is just not working anymore. I know your in a tough dilemma. Just remember you can always change something if you have to. I'm not here to advise you what, but you have to be flexibly if your in a bind. The Charter School is good, but some of those public shools are way better and worth the higher rent and living costs.

Good Luck. If you want to PM someone, you need to go to their profile and a list of different options will come up, select the one that says send direct message and this will pick the person you want and send them a direct message.

Last edited by XNYgirl; 09-08-2007 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: direct message

Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 AM

17 posts, read 75,154 times
If you are concerned about the commute, check out properties with access to the 16 (eg. around Mountain Island Lake/Mount Holly & into Lincoln County....). This will give you an alternative in terms of commuting. Check the report card on line for the schools though.

I think Belmont/Mount Holly are nice towns. Both have small quaint downtown areas with a couple of restaurants a coffee house. You could always swing by and chat with the folks in the coffee house. McAddinville(sp?) is cute if you don't mind the Christmas traffic from people coming in to admire the Christmas lights display....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte