U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM

702 posts, read 1,241,042 times
Default First Speeding Ticket- Pay or go to court?

I received my first NC speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering about thoughts on going to court, or just paying the ticket. I know in Florida (not sure about here), if the Officer doesn't show up, the charges are dismissed. Is it the same here? The ticket was for a minimal fee, but it's the court costs that are expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 PM

339 posts, read 266,510 times
Well you're going to have to pay the court costs regardless of if you show up or just pay the ticket. If it's minimal speeding you can ask to have the ticket negotiated down to a prayer for judgment or improper equipment.

This Meck County traffic ticket negotiation website was just started recently where you can negotiate or pay your ticket and you don't have to show up for court. It's endorced by the DAs office and Meck County PD so I'd start there first just to see. I haven't used it, but it looks like a convenience, especially since you can negotiate online. If you do use it, can you come back and tell about the process?

https://mecktraffictickets.mecklenbu...e/Welcome.aspx

Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks Jeepchic, I forgot to mention that the ticket was in Iredell County.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 PM

1,576 posts, read 1,796,714 times
The worst thing is the increase in your insurance. I have been told it may take a year or two for your insurance to go up but it eventually will and I think it stays up for 3 years. I would hire an attorney and try to get your ticket reduced to improper equipment.

About 4-5 years ago I got a ticket and was able to take a class that kept the ticket from showing up on insurance. I believe the deal was if I got another ticket within a 3-year time span this ticket would 'reappear'. I still had to pay the ticket and the cost of the class and probably should have hired an attorney (it would probably have been about the same cost) to fight the ticket instead.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM

534 posts, read 961,397 times
Hiring one of the atty's who advertisments you are about to be bombarded with in the mail...I had 2 tix reduced to non moving violations and just paid court costs. No points, nothing!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM

So from what everyone is saying, is that I should get an atty? Has anyone had the experience where you don't get an atty, the Officer doesn't show, and the charges are dismissed? The only speeding ticket I ever got in Florida, that is what happened.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,573,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
So from what everyone is saying, is that I should get an atty? Has anyone had the experience where you don't get an atty, the Officer doesn't show, and the charges are dismissed? The only speeding ticket I ever got in Florida, that is what happened.
I've always done the whole, you show up on your day, plead not guilty, come back when they tell you to, meet with the asst. DA, or whomever, they agree to lower the ticket to a non moving violation, so they keep the money, instead of it going to the state, you go before the judge who confirms it, don't forget to pay the lady, and then go on your merry way. BUT, this is in NY, and I don't know the ins and outs of NC.

Also, please be careful on what you admit, round these parts, they treat speeding tickets somewhere between rape and 1st degree murder

Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 AM

1,576 posts, read 1,796,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I have heard of that happening but I wouldn't bet on it. Chances are that the officer will show up.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 29,233 times
Go to court. DA might reduce your points...which is better than paying high insurance for years.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 45,209 times
Go to court yourself. No need for an attorney. You will have to pay court costs but they should reduce the penalty which will stop your insurance from going up. Just went through this last year myself. Just let the DA know that this is your first speeding ticket and you have not had any problems before this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte